Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving through residential areas each morning I have to crowd the line to keep a safe distance from parked cars. It’s 3:30 am, there is no other traffic. The Lane Departure Warning beeps three times then disables itself for the remaining 47 miles of my commute. Seems way to quick to disable itself.

Is it possible to disable, the disable feature?

Other than stopping and putting the car in park, is there a way to re-enable the Lane Departure Warning?

Driving through residential areas each morning I have to crowd the line to keep a safe distance from parked cars. It’s 3:30 am, there is no other traffic. The Lane Departure Warning beeps three times then disables itself for the remaining 47 miles of my commute. Seems way to quick to disable itself.

Other than stopping and putting the car in park, is there a way to re-enable the Lane Departure Warning?

Isn't there a stop sign or light at the end of the residential area where you can press the button and then shift into drive again?

If not, since it's 3:30 am, can't you just declare one at the end for 2 seconds? Very few would be around to care.

Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 64 and 145 km/h on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:

• Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model Y in a safe position if Model Y drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.

Maybe we are talking about different lane features, this was the feature I was talking about.

Source Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla.

Reactions: GrinchKing
I always thought it was a strange decision to have lane departure warning shut its self off after it's warned you a few times. It happens to me cause I cross over some lane markings to avoid potholes, lawn service trucks blocking a lane, etc, etc. But what if I was impaired and really having trouble staying in my lane - the logical thing would be for the car to keep warning me, not to turn the warnings off!

Reactions: JonB65

Camera upgrades on older S models are questionable (2017 S model). I upgraded six months ago and had to return my car twice. The lane departure feature kept crashing shutting down all autopilot functions. Finally, TSL shop got it to work but I saw no noticeable change in functionality but a slight difference in the speedometer panel--car icon. Now I find the lane departure feature shuts my autopilot system down again on a random basis. Diving a long (170-mile journey) I get an error message the lane departure is no longer functioning and autopilot shuts down. Can't use cruise control can't use any auto-driving features.
Before the camera upgrade my car worked flawlessly for almost five years.
I'm going to bring it to the shop again and see if they can fix it but experimenting a little using suggestions from this site. I tried to reset after first turning the lane-departure setting off then again when autopilot is off doesn't fix the issue. Turning the Sentry feature off doesn't help. Yesterday traveled 140 miles not using the navigation feature and no error messages Definitely a software hardware interface issue.

Reactions: fholbert