Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LAPD getting P85D's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is NO WAY that any police department is going to buy any car that costs even a fraction more than what a Crown Vic costs today.

Circa 1898... There is NO WAY that any police department is going to buy any motor vehicle that costs even a fraction more than what a horse costs today.

"The first police car was a wagon run by electricity fielded on the streets of Akron, Ohio, in 1899. The first operator of the police patrol wagon was Akron Police officer Louis Mueller, Sr. It could reach 16 mph (26 km/h) and travel 30 mi (48 km) before its battery needed to be recharged.[SUP][1][/SUP] The car was built by city mechanical engineer Frank Loomis. The US$2,400 vehicle was equipped with electric lights, gongs, and a stretcher. The car's first assignment was to pick up a drunken man at the junction of Main and Exchange streets.[SUP][2]"

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_car

During high speed chase there is a need for higher speeds than 155mph & a need to sustain that speed... Current Model S cannot be a full stack police car yet

I believe the crown vic topped out at 135 and I've heard the Charger tops out at 150. If they did chase at those speeds the MS would have an advantage. I saw one video on an open interstate where a cop chased a bike and the cop tells the guy he was going 140 and could barely keep up. So it happens, but they put people at risk chasing at those speeds.

Model S being tested for Los Angeles police fleet

I saw this in the L.A. times: The city of Los Angeles is testing a P85D for their police fleet, along with other EVs such as a BMW i. Having the fleet consist of P85Ds makes perfect sense -- they're not easily outrun. I hope it works out. It would be a huge win for Tesla to start getting fleet orders.

The article is here: LA Times. In the printed newspaper the accompanying photo showed part of the P85D which has been painted in the black-and-white cop car style, but the online article shows the Beamer instead.

I saw this in the L.A. times: The city of Los Angeles is testing a P85D for their police fleet, along with other EVs such as a BMW i. Having the fleet consist of P85Ds makes perfect sense -- they're not easily outrun. I hope it works out. It would be a huge win for Tesla to start getting fleet orders.

The article is here: LA Times. In the printed newspaper the accompanying photo showed part of the P85D which has been painted in the black-and-white cop car style, but the online article shows the Beamer instead.

The article date is 9/11. It's 9/19... Want to take a guess at how many times it's been posted?

The article date is 9/11. It's 9/19... Want to take a guess at how many times it's been posted?

I guessed 0 because I Googled:

Tesla "Los Angeles" police site:teslamotorsclub.com

And no hits for posts about this story came up.

If you know a better way to look for things that have already been posted than Googling the terms you think describe what you are looking for, I'd be happy to learn what it is.

I guessed 0 because I Googled:

Tesla "Los Angeles" police site:teslamotorsclub.com

And no hits for posts about this story came up.

If you know a better way to look for things that have already been posted than Googling the terms you think describe what you are looking for, I'd be happy to learn what it is.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but there's a search box (powered by google) at the top of the site

My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but there's a search box (powered by google) at the top of the site

That does a Google search like what I did. For fun, I just typed

Los Angeles police

into that box and got no results (which is surprising because it should have found THIS thread now, and it didn't).

I did find it difficult to think nobody posted about it, but my attempts to find out seemed to indicate that was the case. Hey, at least it led me to see all the cool pics on this thread! Glad I finally got here somehow.

That does a Google search like what I did. For fun, I just typed

Los Angeles police

into that box and got no results (which is surprising because it should have found THIS thread now, and it didn't).

I did find it difficult to think nobody posted about it, but my attempts to find out seemed to indicate that was the case. Hey, at least it led me to see all the cool pics on this thread! Glad I finally got here somehow.

That's indeed strange:

2398519432.png

But all good, threads merged.

Re cost: I wonder how much it costs to outfit a Crown Vic with a big screen and internet connections, which are all built in to the Model S. Plus, police cars spend a lot of time idling--think about highway patrol cars standing (systems on) at speed traps, wasting gasoline. Plus, a P85D pulling out from a speed trap will be able to overtake almost any speeder in short order. Great combination of economy and capability.

And it's the safest car on the road, so better for the officers in a high speed chase.

Great... doesn't really do much to help the rest of the non-Tesla driving public... fleeing cars aren't just a threat to cops; The high speed chase needs to be a thing of the past except under extenuating circumstances. Get the plate #s and catch the guy later... or track them from the air.

Great... doesn't really do much to help the rest of the non-Tesla driving public... fleeing cars aren't just a threat to cops; The high speed chase needs to be a thing of the past except under extenuating circumstances. Get the plate #s and catch the guy later... or track them from the air.

NEVER! Equip the police with missiles on their cruisers to blow up fleeing cars!!!!!

I wouldn't mind being pulled over by that.

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a few minutes:

#1. The problems of the law would still be just as problematic. No change there.
#2. Given that #1 is no change, at least it would not be a loud gurgling blood dinosaur Earth-choking oil exploder doing it.

So, on balance, it is a good thing, and the fact that it could become OK with the law, the government, the enormously fat bloated government, might itself be a good thing. But, the government is SO huge, it's barely one pin prick. Let's hope they keep going a bit more (at $150,000 per car, they ought to "get their toes wet" with a few of those P85DL's and such, and then progress with some slightly more cost-conscious models of the future, but come to think of it, nothing really fits that bill ... model X will have more room to store their booty (cuffed criminals), and model 3 will be kinda ... wimpy).

I'm so disapointed by Tesla to support LAPD "to protect and serve" the goverment This is not progress for man but support of (needless) violance against mankind!

Yes, but we the people helped vote the communists into power in California (and the rest of the USA jealous of California helped even more), so now Tesla has to play ball with who is in power. I'm not saying we are 100% to blame: obviously, UK, USSR, China, Mexico & Islam all had an ax to grind with us, so they all cooperated in infiltrating our society without us being aware, and taking control from us by force even when we were slightly aware. Today is today. Yes, we need to work against the commies taking over as hard as possible, but for now, Tesla is Tesla and California is California, and LAPD is LAPD, and that is that for now. Let's think now and future, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Circa 1898... There is NO WAY that any police department is going to buy any motor vehicle that costs even a fraction more than what a horse costs today.

"The first police car was a wagon run by electricity fielded on the streets of Akron, Ohio, in 1899. The first operator of the police patrol wagon was Akron Police officer Louis Mueller, Sr. It could reach 16 mph (26 km/h) and travel 30 mi (48 km) before its battery needed to be recharged.[SUP][1][/SUP] The car was built by city mechanical engineer Frank Loomis. The US$2,400 vehicle was equipped with electric lights, gongs, and a stretcher. The car's first assignment was to pick up a drunken man at the junction of Main and Exchange streets.[SUP][2]"

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_car

$2,400?!?!?!? That's an astonishing figure: that's about 2 to 3 mansions of that era. That'd be something like $4,000,000 - $6,000,000 today, around here. Granted, in Ohio, it may still only be closer to $1,000,000 - $1,500,000 today. But still! That's a damn lot of money!

EDIT: Odd, very odd. Inflation calculator insists this is only $67,000. But my grandfather was offered a house, a 9 bedroom Victorian from what I recall, for $900 in San Francisco in 1912, so I was basing it off of that. I wish I had more information from that story to see why I'm getting these wild fluctuations. $67,000 for an electric car does make more sense, however.

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a few minutes:

#1. The problems of the law would still be just as problematic. No change there.
#2. Given that #1 is no change, at least it would not be a loud gurgling blood dinosaur Earth-choking oil exploder doing it.

So, on balance, it is a good thing, and the fact that it could become OK with the law, the government, the enormously fat bloated government, might itself be a good thing. But, the government is SO huge, it's barely one pin prick. Let's hope they keep going a bit more (at $150,000 per car, they ought to "get their toes wet" with a few of those P85DL's and such, and then progress with some slightly more cost-conscious models of the future, but come to think of it, nothing really fits that bill ... model X will have more room to store their booty (cuffed criminals), and model 3 will be kinda ... wimpy).

If they are picking up more than 1 person they always call for backup. This allows the detained to be put into more than one vehicle (not that that is the primary reason for calling for backup).

If the backup vehicle(s) don't have enough room they can always call a "paddy wagon" which could be a Model X, NV200 EV, or some sort of Gas driven SUV/panel van/minivan as needed.

There is no reason the average patrol car can't be Model 3 based someday.

Last edited: