Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large amounts of vampire drain after driving med-long distances?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Model 3 SR+. Current rated range ~217 mi.

I noticed that almost every time I come home from work, I see a large amount of vampire drain. After driving ~48 miles, I park my car in my garage where the ambient temperature is 60-65F. When I left the car, my battery percentage was at 68%. I wake up this morning, less than 12 hours later, my car is at 60%. That's about 4 kWh of drain that is unaccounted for and where I live, that's worth about $1 each time I have to go to work. 4 kWh can power my home and electronics usage for 3-4 hours.

I don't have cabin overheat protection on, I don't have FSD so no smart summon, I turned off WiFi before I left the car and I haven't touched the app, sentry mode is off. What is going on? Where is all this energy going? Do I need to contact the service center?

I do have the Stats app, but not TeslaFi. Is Stats app the issue even though I'm not checking it at all?

I do have the Stats app, but not TeslaFi. Is Stats app the issue even though I'm not checking it at all?

Definitely could be. Something is keeping your car from sleeping, most likely. Start by changing your tesla password so that stats (and anything else you might have tried and uninstalled) doesnt have your password, then park at home for the night and see if it changes. I expect you will find it has almost no drain at that point.

Then you can add the password back to the stats app and try again.

Reactions: doggolul
Definitely could be. Something is keeping your car from sleeping, most likely. Start by changing your tesla password so that stats (and anything else you might have tried and uninstalled) doesnt have your password, then park at home for the night and see if it changes. I expect you will find it has almost no drain at that point.

Then you can add the password back to the stats app and try again.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I find it odd though that this excessive drain only primarily happens after my long commute, but otherwise the drain is "normal" in the 1-2%/day range.

What does Stats say your Phantom Drain rate is? Is the daily figure correlating with what you're seeing? I see as little as 0.04miles/hr in Summer with no Sentry, to as much as 1.8miles/hr in Winter away from home when Sentry is on; with a recent average of 0.19 miles/hr.
IMG_2616.jpeg

Does your car receive WiFi signal at home? If it does not, maybe every time you took a long drive out to area with good LTE signal, it will try to download new software. Maybe it doesn't get to finish when you get home and kept on trying using a weak LTE signal and kept the car awake.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I do not believe new firmware is normally ever downloaded via LTE Cell Data. If it is a safety related update and the car does not have access to Wifi data for some undefined period of time, the firmware might be downloaded via LTE. I have verified the car will wake from sleep state and download when it sees that new firmware is available. If Wifi is not available, slow or intermittent for any reason, the car could stay awake for a long time? I think there might be a setting that stops the automatic downloading so you control when it gets downloaded. Regardless of the setting, I hope the car is smart enough to not wake up and try to download firmware if Wifi is turned off on the car side?

I was seeing some drain with my 2021 SR I just got. I set the air conditioner/heat setting to turn off when the car is off. Also turn off Sentry if your car is home and in a garage. Any app running will need some batt capacity from the car even when you are not driving it. Doing this solved mine immediately, hope same for you.

It's your third party service. Whenever you have battery drain issues and you've tried turning off overheat cabin protection, sentry, and smart summon, the last thing it is your third party app.

No need to turn off wifi. It uses very little electricity.

I can think of a couple of things that are not necessarily a third party app. First, you might have a bad 12V battery that forces the car to wake up often and for long periods to charge the 12V. Second, it might just be an adjustment of the SOC display after a while, like battery temperature changes for example.

I vote for the 12V as you have a 2019 :)