Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Dogs in Back, Seat Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, hoping a Model Y owner can shed some light.

Currently I drive a 3 and my wife has a Prius. We have 2 big-ish dogs, 60-70 lbs each. To take them anywhere, we take the Prius. With seats up, one goes in the back and the other goes in the back seat with a hammock/seat cover. We're contemplating replacing the Prius with a Y, and hoping that we would be able to put both dogs in the back with the seats still up? I have exact measurements, but hoping someone has a little more experience in how it would work out.

Depth: Y 44 inches, Prius 34 inches.
Width: Y 37 inches, Prius 43 inches.

The Y cargo area is actually narrower than the Prius, but it's deeper, and the overall dimensions of the footprint are bigger. The Y is also significantly higher back there, where the Prius back hatch slopes down lower. I think being deeper will work better for the dogs, like the space will be more usable, especially thanks to the added height. So I'm hoping the Y will be able to fit both dogs, even though it's not actually significantly bigger?

Added dog tax, which also serves as proof that they don't mind being a little cramped, but there's just no way to do it in the back of the Prius. Thanks all.

IMG_0775.jpeg

Hello all, hoping a Model Y owner can shed some light.

Currently I drive a 3 and my wife has a Prius. We have 2 big-ish dogs, 60-70 lbs each. To take them anywhere, we take the Prius. With seats up, one goes in the back and the other goes in the back seat with a hammock/seat cover. We're contemplating replacing the Prius with a Y, and hoping that we would be able to put both dogs in the back with the seats still up? I have exact measurements, but hoping someone has a little more experience in how it would work out.

Depth: Y 44 inches, Prius 34 inches.
Width: Y 37 inches, Prius 43 inches.

The Y cargo area is actually narrower than the Prius, but it's deeper, and the overall dimensions of the footprint are bigger. The Y is also significantly higher back there, where the Prius back hatch slopes down lower. I think being deeper will work better for the dogs, like the space will be more usable, especially thanks to the added height. So I'm hoping the Y will be able to fit both dogs, even though it's not actually significantly bigger?

Added dog tax, which also serves as proof that they don't mind being a little cramped, but there's just no way to do it in the back of the Prius. Thanks all.

View attachment 545006
I have no insight on your question, but those are awesome doggos! Are they rescues? Does it get cold enough in CA for them to need sweaters?

Suggest you take measurements of your pups on the couch pictured in...likely that is narrower than the width of the Y cargo area, and they probably can fit in the 44 inch depth. If they can turn around on, say, 2/3rds of that couch, they would likely be fine in the back of the Y.

Ultimately I think you’ll just have to try and see if your dogs fit, but here’s a photo of my sheltie (~38lbs, 17” at the shoulder) on the Tesmanian Model Y trunk mat. (Yeah, I bought the mats before my car’s delivery :p) I was trying to see how his crate would fit in the car for agility trials, but maybe it’ll help you.

Attachments

• F4DB55B7-DCD1-42DF-951C-C729499D1D49.jpeg
    F4DB55B7-DCD1-42DF-951C-C729499D1D49.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: Jamezam
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I have no insight on your question, but those are awesome doggos! Are they rescues? Does it get cold enough in CA for them to need sweaters?

Both retired greyhounds. The little one in the back is a retired racer, she washed out as a failure after 3 races. The big one in the front is a retired hunter: they use greyhounds to chase down and kill coyotes, so that’s what he was trained to do, but he has turned into just a big dumb sweetheart as a pet.

They do have rain jackets and sweaters. Not as critical in California as some other places (well some places in California get super cold, but not here in the bay are). But it does get chilly enough in the Bay Area that they need coats outside, down into the 40s/50s regularly in winter, plus rain. Rule of thumb, if you want a sweater, then they want a sweater too, they certainly have no insulation.

Not sure what it is, but there have been many reports that people's dogs love riding in the back.

My Goldens were much more relaxed in the back of my X than in my previous Grand Cherokees.

Nice, good to know. If they’re both comfortable, then less likely to be moving around as much, which would help. I’ve actually put both these dogs in the backseat of my 3 together in a pinch, but I knew we only needed to go like 5 or 10min. Not a real solution, they had to take turns laying down, haha.

Suggest you take measurements of your pups on the couch pictured in...likely that is narrower than the width of the Y cargo area, and they probably can fit in the 44 inch depth. If they can turn around on, say, 2/3rds of that couch, they would likely be fine in the back of the Y.

Yeah, good idea. I know they can curl up small enough that they’ll both fit, and you’re right they can turn in a small radius. The issue would be if there’s a enough space for them to fully stand-up height-wise, and enough room to turn around and find their negotiated middle ground where both will tolerate it. If it was too short AND too narrow, that would be the issue.

Ultimately I think you’ll just have to try and see if your dogs fit, but here’s a photo of my sheltie (~38lbs, 17” at the shoulder) on the Tesmanian Model Y trunk mat. (Yeah, I bought the mats before my car’s delivery :p) I was trying to see how his crate would fit in the car for agility trials, but maybe it’ll help you.

Thanks for the picture, that is some good perspective on footprint. And agreed, will just need to try it at some point. Hopefully that would be ok with some salesman at some point during a test drive? Haha. I think we could get confidence just seeing it in person to better understand the size, but the best test is definitely just throwing the dogs in there and see how they do. Crossing my fingers!

• Love
Reactions: Johnny Vector
I recently traded my M3 for MY and was researching dog transport options for 2 Australian Shepherds (50 lbs). Challenge isn't footprint of the kennels - it's the extreme roof slope (kennels are too tall to both fit).

Here are a couple of ideas:
Modification to turn M3 trunk (w/ back seats down) into a dog crate? (would also work for Y)

I recently traded my M3 for MY and was researching dog transport options for 2 Australian Shepherds (50 lbs). Challenge isn't footprint of the kennels - it's the extreme roof slope (kennels are too tall to both fit).

Here are a couple of ideas:
Modification to turn M3 trunk (w/ back seats down) into a dog crate? (would also work for Y)
I'm using the MY with my comparable size dog: 54 lbs Golden Retriever no problem. She did have to get used to the sloping back window for 2-3 trips (she was used to a regular SUV where she can sit and look out the window while being very close to it). Now she knows she can do same, but just needs little more distance. Did put in a load floor mat (Weathertech with bumper protector). Dog hair does stick to the cargo area carpet cover on the sides, so use a sticky roller frequently!

I've got 2 large 85# dogs that love riding in the Y. I don't think they'd enjoy it with the seats up however due to the sloping roof in the way back. I have taken them shorter distances with the 2/3 seat down if I had to have a passenger in the back seat. Hope this helps.

We have 90 pound and 120 pound ridgebacks here. Often when we take them on rides, we have one seat down so I can hang out with them.
Hey hey hey, we should start a Tesla Ridgeback club.

My 100 pounder is my male, too smart for his own good. nothing but trouble. Spends all day getting to a very highly places fruitbowl, eats an entire bunch of bananas, peels + stems and all, makes a mess.

My 80 pounder is my sweet girl, dumbest dog ever. Just wants to make everyone happy.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker