Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dog Barrier for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VarioBarrier HR is also crash tested! Looks pretty cool too.

Attachments

• IMG_4487.jpeg
    IMG_4487.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 9,205
Looks like it attaches to the headrest bar. I have a variocage kennel and the quality is top notch. This is the US supplier and everything is on sale right now.

MIM Safe VarioBarrier - 4x4 North America

There's also a version that attaches to mount points in the car, but it's bigger and would restrict access to the under-floor storage possibly.

The one I have requires the headrests to be up pretty high, but the attachments are really solid.

We don't do it so that the dog doesn't jump over, but for crash safety.

As a side note, when my dog was small enough as a puppy, we always had her in a crate in the back. So she's super used to staying back there and never has had access to the rest of the car, which is why she just weirdly doesn't try to climb over ever. But now that we have the barrier, even better.

The other good thing is, if we have food or something else in the car and leave her in there, she can't get to it.

This looks great. Is it easy to add/remove on the go? Or do you leave it on most of the time. Looks like the headrests need to be raised when it’s installed? Also, where’d you get the mats for the backs of your seats and trunk?

I leave it on all the time, but I've taken it off briefly a few times and it only takes like a minute. Just unscrew two spots and you can remove it.

Yes you need to raise the headrests all the way up, but they're not blocking the view much. The bars are thick, so it kind of blocks, but really not a big deal.

I just received the Snoozer SUV bed, it is a perfect fit sideways, with a bolster against the hatch which is a nice touch, or you can turn it 90* and it will still fit snug. The dimensions are perfect, and I haven't found another one that fit as nicely. SUV Cargo Bed - Snoozer Pet Products

We were using a 36" crate pad and a 41" crate pad before, and overlapping a bit they worked. But the Snoozer SUV bed fits like a glove and has bolsters.

I leave it on all the time, but I've taken it off briefly a few times and it only takes like a minute. Just unscrew two spots and you can remove it.

Yes you need to raise the headrests all the way up, but they're not blocking the view much. The bars are thick, so it kind of blocks, but really not a big deal.

I just received the Snoozer SUV bed, it is a perfect fit sideways, with a bolster against the hatch which is a nice touch, or you can turn it 90* and it will still fit snug. The dimensions are perfect, and I haven't found another one that fit as nicely. SUV Cargo Bed - Snoozer Pet Products

We were using a 36" crate pad and a 41" crate pad before, and overlapping a bit they worked. But the Snoozer SUV bed fits like a glove and has bolsters.
Silly question. How do you get your headrests up high enough to attach it? I bought the same VarioBarrier and just got a 2021 Model Y, but I can't get the headrests up high enough to attach it. They only seem to raise an inch or so, not nearly as high as you have them in the picture.

Silly question. How do you get your headrests up high enough to attach it? I bought the same VarioBarrier and just got a 2021 Model Y, but I can't get the headrests up high enough to attach it. They only seem to raise an inch or so, not nearly as high as you have them in the picture.
You need a flathead screwdriver (or better, a small plastic wedge tool) to "unlock" the headrest to a higher level. You'll see a little notch that you need to simultaneously press into while using the regular finger push release to get it higher.

If you look up on Youtube on how to remove the whole headrest, it's the same movement.

@noshadow just saw this post when searching for a similar solution for our Model Y! Do you find that the headrests being so high makes it uncomfortable for rear seat passengers? Or is it not that big of a deal? We’d need to see how they fit with our kids car booster seats to be sure.

@noshadow just saw this post when searching for a similar solution for our Model Y! Do you find that the headrests being so high makes it uncomfortable for rear seat passengers? Or is it not that big of a deal? We’d need to see how they fit with our kids car booster seats to be sure.

Unfortunately I have no idea. With the pandemic, I never have rear passengers except for tiny niece and nephews. But haven’t had any complaints.