Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Larger battery size around the corner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is trying to move all their inventory also saying that free unlimited supercharging is going away in September. Also from experience, when I was purchasing my MS 85D a few years ago I heard there was a 90kW battery that will be offered as standard as they were phasing out the 85 and it was just a rumor. All Tesla employees sore it was just a rumor and sure enough 3 months after my purchase the 990 is available.

My bet is S & X will see 75 and 100KW battery packs for some time.

On a side note, I prefer the way the Model 3 is marketed either as Long Range or Standard Range battery packs. The actual pack sizes are not front and center like on the S and X. Its really not important. Range and Power is what people want.

Tesla is trying to move all their inventory also saying that free unlimited supercharging is going away in September.

One of these days, Tesla will deliver upon the promise of no more free supercharging...

Has anyone heard any rumors that the MS or MX will be offered with 120kW battery size soon? Thoughts?

I have not, but Tesla has been making improvements in battery density; so it wouldn't suprise me to be able to get more range out of it. I'd also have to wonder if the major refresh of the MS & MX will include a double battery pack like the roadster will have. Imagine a MX with 600 miles of range, it would make those of us who tow extremely happy.

I don't think bigger batteries are chasing an necessary dream at this point — a 120D would just be wasteful. I think now we have to make the motors more efficient, and find better ways to charge & cool the batteries. That would pay off more than going from 300 to 360 miles on a charge.

As someone who drives 450 mile commutes to work 4 times a month, a larger battery would most definitely be a player for me.

With the tax credit going away, the price is essentially going up. Tesla is going to have to do something....

As someone who drives 450 mile commutes to work 4 times a month, a larger battery would most definitely be a player for me.

With the tax credit going away, the price is essentially going up. Tesla is going to have to do something....

I totally know how you feel, but the truth is the majority of Americans' round-trip commutes are less than 300 miles a day.

I totally know how you feel, but the truth is the majority of Americans' round-trip commutes are less than 300 miles a day.
Heard a VP from Ford a while ago talking PHEVs and stated the average commute is 30 miles round trip.
That's where the logic for 30ish mile EV range on PHEVs came from (so she said) as the most expensive battery bank in a PHEV is the one you rarely use in regular driving.

I have not, but Tesla has been making improvements in battery density; so it wouldn't suprise me to be able to get more range out of it. I'd also have to wonder if the major refresh of the MS & MX will include a double battery pack like the roadster will have. Imagine a MX with 600 miles of range, it would make those of us who tow extremely happy.
I have to think there is a point of diminishing returns on trying to squeeze out more juice from Li-Ion cells instead of just looking at other chemistries like LiPo or something. I don't know batteries, and I'm guessing that there is some more there to squeeze, but changing the cell size from 18650 to something else would be expensive for the gigafactories I would guess, So that's probably out for a while... let alone the engineering to change all of the packs and how to put them in the vehicles due to potential size differences. Not saying it's not happening. I'm sure it is. Just probably not anytime soon. I sort of hope I'm wrong. I really want batteries to improve in general. Imagine if batteries were cheaper and could store much more. The use of solar and other alternative energy, along with energy storage systems, would increase quite dramatically.

Double battery pack would be awesome. I'd really just like to have the ability to purchase a PowerWall and put it in the trunk like a spare gas can in an ICE.

Ah but to dream...

Chris

I have to think there is a point of diminishing returns on trying to squeeze out more juice from Li-Ion cells instead of just looking at other chemistries like LiPo or something. I don't know batteries, and I'm guessing that there is some more there to squeeze, but changing the cell size from 18650 to something else would be expensive for the gigafactories I would guess, So that's probably out for a while... let alone the engineering to change all of the packs and how to put them in the vehicles due to potential size differences. Not saying it's not happening. I'm sure it is. Just probably not anytime soon. I sort of hope I'm wrong. I really want batteries to improve in general. Imagine if batteries were cheaper and could store much more. The use of solar and other alternative energy, along with energy storage systems, would increase quite dramatically.

Double battery pack would be awesome. I'd really just like to have the ability to purchase a PowerWall and put it in the trunk like a spare gas can in an ICE.

Ah but to dream...

Chris

At 13.5kwh, that'd be good for about 40 miles of range. That's not a bad "gas can" but the powerwalls are 215lbs!! I'm a wuss and need something 10% of that weight to be useable.

I think the pack form factor is the key though. Cell size of the 18650 isn't all that important, because it comes down to packaging. Similiar to our trucking/shipping industries. They don't care if your soda can is a 2L bottle or a bunch of little cans, get it on a pallet and they can move and ship it. Tesla has done the same with our packs. The skateboard is just a shell, so if they come out with other batter chemistries or shapes, etc. It just needs to fit in the shell to fit in any of our cars. They just need to figure out how to get it into the case.

That means I'm dreaming of a higher density battery, that would result in less cells (and less weight) being able to be retrofit into my car. It would be nice to have the X lose 500lbs, but now I think I'm the one that's dreaming...

Reactions: cmalinowski
At 13.5kwh, that'd be good for about 40 miles of range. That's not a bad "gas can" but the powerwalls are 215lbs!! I'm a wuss and need something 10% of that weight to be useable.
Good point. Something would be nice. Heck, it would be nice if you could fit a battery pack in the frunk and the well of the trunk when you want that extra range and don't care about storage room. Just have plugs there to put them in as an option you can purchase later. It adds weight, but the vehicle is pretty heavy already, so another 500lbs won't be so bad :) Not exactly good to allow consumers to mess with battery packs though. Might need to be an option that could be added on aftermarket at SC and not be removable unless by SC.