Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest double-din navigating car stereos for Roadster 2.5 Sport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would that address the wind noise as well? That'd be awesome.

With the current wind noise fix and the hardtop, wind noise is not significant in my Roadster. Noise from the drive train and road noise are now dominant.

Wind is definitely still an issue with the soft top, though. This may be intrinsic to the soft top. So when I go on longer highway trips I put on the hardtop; it makes a big difference.

With the current wind noise fix and the hardtop, wind noise is not significant in my Roadster. Noise from the drive train and road noise are now dominant.

Wind is definitely still an issue with the soft top, though. This may be intrinsic to the soft top. So when I go on longer highway trips I put on the hardtop; it makes a big difference.
Great. I'm getting the hard top Thursday so I'll see how big a difference it makes for my car.

I'm still considering changing out my Alpine to something new but don't think there's anything that's so much better that it's worth going through the hassle. Maybe I'll wait to see what comes up at CES next year.

Speaking of stereo upgrades, anyone know where the FM antenna resides in the Roadster? Would it be possible to move it somewhere it could get better reception. The scratchy radio drives me crazy. I'd even be willing to have a wart like the older satellite radio installs if it meant I could listen to the radio without it constantly bouncing back and forth between digital and analog.

the engine whine does get pretty annoying on longer road trips

Speaking of stereo upgrades, anyone know where the FM antenna resides in the Roadster? Would it be possible to move it somewhere it could get better reception. The scratchy radio drives me crazy. I'd even be willing to have a wart like the older satellite radio installs if it meant I could listen to the radio without it constantly bouncing back and forth between digital and analog.

It was mandated the the Roadster would have no external antenna. It's under (in) the dash in 1.5s.

It was mandated the the Roadster would have no external antenna. It's under (in) the dash in 1.5s.
Yeah, I assumed that was the case. I was just wondering if they extended it to somewhere like under the front bumper which is plastic and not CF to get better reception - I believe that's what they did for the GPS so maybe I could do it for the FM antenna?

There's an "antenna booster sleeve" that runs up the passenger pillar on the inside along the windshield. Mine fell off recently which is why I know (double sided tape failure). Not sure if that's the radio's antenna or not ...

If you are listening to AM radio, the noise is coming through the ground and power lines. Even changing the radio doesn't help there.
No, it's FM. This is my first vehicle w/ HD radio so the symptom (aside from static-y reception) is that when it has strong signal it plays the HD/digital signal but if the signal weakens it kicks over to analog and the character of the sound completely changes (like someone messed with the eq). It can do this every few seconds as I'm driving - it's really annoying. With my local NPR station, the digital and analog signals are ever so slightly time-shifted so when it switches back and forth it's quite jarring. Maybe someday I'll try to climb around and see what can be done.

No, it's FM. This is my first vehicle w/ HD radio so the symptom (aside from static-y reception) is that when it has strong signal it plays the HD/digital signal but if the signal weakens it kicks over to analog and the character of the sound completely changes (like someone messed with the eq). It can do this every few seconds as I'm driving - it's really annoying. With my local NPR station, the digital and analog signals are ever so slightly time-shifted so when it switches back and forth it's quite jarring. Maybe someday I'll try to climb around and see what can be done.

That my friend is the carbon fiber body. (at least that is the official word from tesla)

While I'm at Car Toys today I will see about moving(upgrading) the antenna. (need to have my XM radio installed)

A few pictures:

IMAG0208.jpg
IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0203.jpg
IMAG0207.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, I get this too. Very irritating. I wish I could shut off the HD part so it doesn't switch bakc and forth. Even more annoying, the digital and analog broadcasts aren't necessarily in perfect sync so when it switches, it can be off by a beat or two. Insanely irritating, so I NEVER use it.

Japan only...
AVIC-ZH09-MeV.jpg
pioneer-avic-zho9-mev-officialprodimage.jpg
The Navigation System has an ECO mode that will show you the most power-efficient route to take when travelling to a destination. It also calculates your actual power reserve, wind drag, how much power you get while braking or decelerating. There is also an ECO mode that can help you improve your driving by keeping track of how much energy you saved, used, generated or converted over the past few days. Some of these stats can even appear in an Eco Status Multi-window that appears on top of your map while you’re using the map. And when you need to know where to go to charge your car, the Navigation System also points out where the closest EV Quick Charging Station is.
2.jpg

press release

My bigggest bug is that the bluetooth cell microphone works poorly and is not noice cancelling. Even parked most people i call say that they are having a tough time hearing me. It is not my phone or service - they work fine in all my other vehicles.

Any suggestions on how to improve the mic?

Under bluetooth settings, with the phone paired, but NOT on a call, you can adjust the mic input level. I did a LOT of experimenting, and I think 14-15 works best. The scale is 0-15. If the input level doesn't let you adjust, make a call, then hang up and try it again. See other threads for how to access advanced settings.

I noticed that above 13 my iPhone seems to auto-adjust the level down a bit, my original setting was 10 - way too low.

If you feel like pulling off the lower dash, you can also get at the mic if you want to move it somewhere else. Mine is held in place by a plastic zip tie. (2.5)

If the conditions are either substantial changes in sound quality between the HD and analog FM, or time-shifting, it is not the radio. It is the radio station's implementation of the HD radio signal. Not only do many radio stations broadcasting in HD give very little attention to the technical characteristics of what they are broadcasting over HD, but also many radio receivers deal with the HD signal in different ways. If he HD part of the signal is not set up according to the HD specifications, it can cause significant issues in receivers. Unfortunatley, most radio listeners will not complain to a radio station when there is an issue, believing instead that the problem is in their radio. Also, there is simply not a sufficient base of HD radios in most markets for significant numbers of listeners to be affected by a poor HD implementation. About two years ago I had a similar annoying issue with one of the top radio stations in Washington. After the radio station went back and forth with the iBiquity (HD) engineers several times, they finally came up with a wrong implementation of the HD signal at the radio station. So call the radio station, ask for the chief engineer or operations manager, and complain.