Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest PG&E Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
My billing period ends on the 21st of each month. For the July 21 ending period, the bill usually posts a couple days later. This month the bill didn't post until yesterday 8/3 and the bill only included gas charges. No mention of the electrical connection charge

When we installed our first PV system in 2000, it took a few months before PG&E could send us a bill for electricity. But at that time the solar customers were handled through the industrial part of PG&E and the detail bill we got was 10 pages of spreadsheets.

Even today, it takes PG&E a couple months to get the billing correct after PTO. Usually you will get bills for one or two billing cycles from your old billing system, then they will refund those bills and recalculate new bills starting from the PTO date on the new billing system. This is especially pronounced when you add Powerwalls. Maybe adding solar is more streamlined these days. When I got solar in 2012, they had a "black and white" bill system like the Powerwalls do today. After a few years, the solar billing was integrated into the "blue bill".

to be clear, my situation is not right after PTO. My PTO was over a year ago and I've been getting the bill on time for a year. Its my latest bill that was late and doesn't have any mention of electricity on the blue bill. I checked online for B&W bill, but its not available yet

My bill usually posts 9-10 days after the close of the billing period. I have never seen a bill that did not include electric charges. I have had incorrectly calculated electric charges, but they have never failed to bill something for my electricity. ;)

Also, the posting date on my black and white Paired Storage bill is usually 2 days before the blue bill.

My bill usually posts 9-10 days after the close of the billing period. I have never seen a bill that did not include electric charges. I have had incorrectly calculated electric charges, but they have never failed to bill something for my electricity. ;)

Also, the posting date on my black and white Paired Storage bill is usually 2 days before the blue bill.
interesting. That's the opposite of mine. My Blue bill always posts 2 to 3 days after billing period ends while my B&W takes at least 7 days to post

Finally, the B&W bill is available as of 8/15. Coincidentally, they created a new Blue Bill with the missing electric charges added in. So the sequence was:
1. Blue bill generated 8/2 (about 10 days later than normal) missing electric charges
2. B&W bill not available
3. B&W bill generated on 8/15
4. New Blue bill with statement date of 8/15 generated with the previously missing electric charges added

@getakey I posted about our recent PG&E bill missing electrical use charges under another thread. Here’s the gist of it. Ours was due to PG&E noticing our GE SmartMeter had failed and wasn’t sending info back to the mothership. We only knew about it when PG&E showed up at our door on 7/22 with a replacement meter and rang the door as a courtesy before installing. Our Backup History shows our PWs kicked in for 2 minutes then, so a quick change out. While the display had gone dark and wasn’t sending info, the tech told my husband the dead unit was still recording and they would pull info from it and update charges on our next bill (haven’t received yet). But it was our first ever Blue bill since PTO last year that was missing the electrical charges.

Any idea if your meter was replaced maybe when you weren’t home?

@getakey I posted about our recent PG&E bill missing electrical use charges under another thread. Here’s the gist of it. Ours was due to PG&E noticing our GE SmartMeter had failed and wasn’t sending info back to the mothership. We only knew about it when PG&E showed up at our door on 7/22 with a replacement meter and rang the door as a courtesy before installing. Our Backup History shows our PWs kicked in for 2 minutes then, so a quick change out. While the display had gone dark and wasn’t sending info, the tech told my husband the dead unit was still recording and they would pull info from it and update charges on our next bill (haven’t received yet). But it was our first ever Blue bill since PTO last year that was missing the electrical charges.

Any idea if your meter was replaced maybe when you weren’t home?
Pretty sure it wasn't. Someone is always here during the day and they would have had to avoid our dog who would have gone nuts

i got PTO for my 2xPW system on 6/29/2021. i received a regular blue bill on 7/12 but on 8/12 the bill was and still is AWOL. adding to the complication, PGE replaced my gas meter on 7/22/2021. i don't know if that by itself would trigger a delay.

edit: i also had to start electrical service for my kid's college apartment on 8/3 so it is possible this has something to do with the delay as well...

but hopefully the delay means are working on the B&W bill transition since my understanding is that your true-up date is reset by this process. my last bill had me at around +$50 on NEM charges so i won't be leaving anything on the table if they do it now. otherwise if i had a negative balance i would probably have that reset to 0, right?

i got PTO for my 2xPW system on 6/29/2021. i received a regular blue bill on 7/12 but on 8/12 the bill was and still is AWOL. adding to the complication, PGE replaced my gas meter on 7/22/2021. i don't know if that by itself would trigger a delay.

edit: i also had to start electrical service for my kid's college apartment on 8/3 so it is possible this has something to do with the delay as well...

but hopefully the delay means are working on the B&W bill transition since my understanding is that your true-up date is reset by this process. my last bill had me at around +$50 on NEM charges so i won't be leaving anything on the table if they do it now. otherwise if i had a negative balance i would probably have that reset to 0, right?
The normal course of events would be for PG&E to continue to bill you according to your old services, ignoring the PTO until about 3-6 weeks after PTO. At that point they will recalculate the bills through PTO, closing out with a true-up if necessary. Then reverse the incorrect charges and issue new bills according to the new tariffs effective at PTO. After those recalculations, things should proceed on schedule unless there is some other problem like the one mentioned above where the meter was not reporting.

Reactions: astrorob
The normal course of events would be for PG&E to continue to bill you according to your old services, ignoring the PTO until about 3-6 weeks after PTO. At that point they will recalculate the bills through PTO, closing out with a true-up if necessary. Then reverse the incorrect charges and issue new bills according to the new tariffs effective at PTO. After those recalculations, things should proceed on schedule unless there is some other problem like the one mentioned above where the meter was not reporting.

so it sounds like i'm in the B&W bill transition window then. my tariff before and after PTO was the same (i had been transitioned to EV2 some time earlier in the year...) so hopefully there's no reversal of charges necessary.

the only weird thing is that the web summary view shows that i have a -$11 and change balance and i don't think i've ever seen a negative balance there before, unless the climate credit hit.

i finally received a PGE bill and indeed what @miimura outlined occurred. they did a true-up on 6/29 so i owed around $90. this was only 13 days early (relative to my billing end date) and chopped off about $30 of credit earned between 6/29 and the old billing end date. i guess as long as the PTO-invoked true-up didn't occur while i had a negative balance i don't lose anything, and those credits should appear on my next bill.

Reactions: miimura
dredging up this old thread to ask -

i have not received a bill since 6/29 for my paired storage account. it's of course now 10/17/2001 so 3 months have gone by. is this normal?

around the beginning of august i had to add another property to my PGE account and i wonder if this has screwed everything up. although my home is marked as the primary residence, the banner at the top of the screen shows the new property i added.

do these B&W bills only come by postal mail? there's a chance they are piling up at the new place...

dredging up this old thread to ask -

i have not received a bill since 6/29 for my paired storage account. it's of course now 10/17/2001 so 3 months have gone by. is this normal?

around the beginning of august i had to add another property to my PGE account and i wonder if this has screwed everything up. although my home is marked as the primary residence, the banner at the top of the screen shows the new property i added.

do these B&W bills only come by postal mail? there's a chance they are piling up at the new place...

I was missing my black and white bill as well. I did not get the paper copy in the mail, and the bill for that month was not visible on the PG&E website.

I had to call their solar help line, and the person on the phone initiated a request for a manual pull of my bill. About 2 weeks later they emailed me a PDF of the Bill that I was missing.

great, so i have to beat down their door to pay them?? i'll call tomorrow.

Your blue header bill is the one that you actually "pay" each month. The Black and White one is just showing your NEM credits and balance. It's intended to be a way for you to check the unbundled energy rates against generation/uses of electricity to confirm they are giving you the NEM correctly. What's bogus is the rates themselves have to be calculated to 5 digits to the right of the decimal. But there is no really useful way to audit the energy that passes through the meter.

My Tesla readings are 10% higher (more net generation kWh exported) than what PG&E says I exported. But of course PG&E is "right" in terms of the kWh that passes through their meter since Tesla just uses some low-grade CTs. If you find a discrepancy there is like no way you'd get your money back through a bill adjustment anyway hah.

Anyway, so far through 6 months I've been able to confirm that PG&E is giving me the NEM that I thought I would be getting (except for a $1 weird glitch). It's just annoying I had to ask PG&E to send me the data via email instead of getting the paper statement in the mail,