Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest update for AP1 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the AP1 Xs still getting the latest car and phone app updates like blind spot monitoring with red lane lines, sharing control of your car navigation and music with passengers in car using phone app?

Is Navigate on AP the only difference between AP1 and AP2+/EAP?

Are the AP1 Xs still getting the latest car and phone app updates like blind spot monitoring with red lane lines, sharing control of your car navigation and music with passengers in car using phone app?

While AP1 cars still receive improvements from firmware updates, blind spot monitoring is not one of them. This is due to hardware limitations (AP1 cars have fewer cameras and sensors compared to AP2+/EAP).

Don’t think so. Blind Spot uses the extra cameras that AP1 cars do not have.

Sensors on AP1 X’s still has the ability to detect cars around you and display on dash though, right? That’s not BSM? Or are there specific BSM alerts not privy to AP1 Xs?

So no summon on AP1 too right?

Are passengers about to Push Navigation or music from their phone using T app?

When I had a loaner S with parking sensors i liked the fact it said how far you were away from objects. Does the AP1 X do that?

I’m thinking about getting a used X but i want to understand what Tech or safety features That will be differend from my EAP an FSD model 3.

Thank you

Sensors on AP1 X’s still has the ability to detect cars around you and display on dash though, right? That’s not BSM? Or are there specific BSM alerts not privy to AP1 Xs?

When I had a loaner S with parking sensors i liked the fact it said how far you were away from objects. Does the AP1 X do that?

I’m thinking about getting a used X but i want to understand what Tech or safety features That will be differend from my EAP an FSD model 3.

Thank you

The sensors on my AP1 X do have some ability for detecting cars around you. These sensors are used to prevent AutoPilot from changing lanes when you activate the turn signal if an obstruction (vehicle) in in the adjoining lane. The sensors also are used for the summon/parking features.

I only used the summon feature once, to back my X into my garage - it stopped short of my desired resting point because the sensors detected my lawn tractor being too close (there is an override for the default proximity setting on the parking sensors, but I did not feel comfortable changing the default). I have played with the self parking feature a couple of times, but don't like the way the steering grinds the front tires into the pavement while turning without any forward/reverse movement. The self parking process also seems very slow. Nice gimmicks, and I'm sure they were useful engineering tools in the path to fully autonomous driving, but I prefer parking manually. The rear camera, guidelines and sensors are fantastic aids for this!

I can't answer your questions regarding passenger functionality of using the app - I've not tried as a passenger.

Thank you

The side sensors on AP1 cars are ultrasonic with very limited range, a few feet at best. Not really useful to detect cars at speed on the highway. Great for parking though. The cameras provided with V9 AP2 cars are a massive improvement. Cars 2 to 3 deep in all directions are easily detected and displayed on the screen. There is no equivalent feature in AP1 (because there are no side cameras). AP1 will display cars in front of you, but nothing from the rear or sides.

Summon works fine on AP1 (cameras are not used for Summon)

I never tried pushing Nav info from my phone. Music is not actually pushed from the device, rather you have the basic media controls (skip, stop FF, etc). Not sure if it works on earlier cars or not.

Parking sensors are also not based on the cameras, so that works fine on AP1, including displaying distance from large objects down to 12 inches. Basically the same on AP1 and AP2.

AP2 (and newer) cars have extra cameras, Also newer computers (MCU2) which are all required for EAP/FSD, plus a likely newer computer (MCU3?) for FSD, that has yet to be released.

Last edited:
This latest update makes you miss AP2 from an AP1; where as previously I missed AP1 going to an AP2.

Differences:
1. Main screen did not change to show 3 lanes and 360 surround view. AP1 remains a large car icon as the original.
2. The differences between distance of detection and accuracy of detection is now noticeable with AP2 being the winner. Cars show on the screen much later, not quite as far in the distance both on the sides (due to hardware limitation) and the front.
3. AP/EAP performance especially at night and especially night/rain is signifcantly better in the AP2. The AP1 wouldn't engage in heavy rain without the ability to see the lines on the road. The AP2 didn't have an issue. Even in daytime, the AP1 has a neat feature that follows the car in front. But AP2 is now able to read the lines you're actually in. In traffic this becomes noticeable as AP1 has on occasion followed out of lane where as the AP2 will maintain lane. This is also bad though where I've had the AP1 follow a car appropriately (ie, pothole) where as the AP2 did not.
4. There is no autopilot on Nav; the new Nav updates though work much slower on an AP1. Specifically rendering was a previous issue; but traffic population is much slower on the AP1 vs the AP2.
5. Rain sensing wipers are much more sensitive on the AP1, often having me turn them off vs the AP2 where I'm constantly hitting the swipe button.

There are other very minor differences; but those are the most noticeable to me going back and forth.

Thank you

AP1 has summon, parking sensirs, share music with passenger, share geo location on nav, see vehicles around using radar, auto steer... the big difference is the ability for AP2 to do auto lane change and identify next exit on freeways...

• Disagree
Reactions: Yinn
AP1 has summon, parking sensirs, share music with passenger, share geo location on nav, see vehicles around using radar, auto steer... the big difference is the ability for AP2 to do auto lane change and identify next exit on freeways...

I respectfully disagree.

AP1/AP does an auto lane change upon using the indicator, just like the AP2/EAP previously did. It has the same limitations whereas it's not allowed on anything but a freeway. What it doesn't have is navigate on autopilot. On navigate on autopilot, it still requires driver confirmation before changing lanes.

AP1/AP also has a HUGE difference in it's ability to "see vehicles" While a AP1/AP car does have radar and sonar to detect 360; the range and accuracy is limited in comparison to a AP2/EAP. I can see how having a AP1 you can say - I've got it. But going back and forth, you really notice the difference and how much less information you get. This limitation is also why there isn't the blind spot indication on the AP1 where the graphics go red; and why the on dash screen still has the vehicle as a large vehicle rather than the smaller to accomodate the new 360 surround view.

Shoot me a PM with your area. Depending of which part of NJ you're in; I'd be happy to meet up with you with the 2016 AP1 MX; heck if you're close enough you can compare the AP1/AP and AP2/EAP MX side by side.

AP2 Hardware - No AP on the MS. Took this when I noticed the person on the dash, never saw that before.
full

AP2 Hardware - No AP on the MS. Notice how far it reads the traffic; both in front and behind.
full

AP1 Hardware - APC on the MX. Still on the old dash despite latest software, sitting in traffic. No direct behind information. Unable to read the exact lane as the car in front is blocking the single camera. No side information. Lane is by assumption and the line doesn't actually exist.
full

AP2 Hardware - EAP on the MX. New dash, sitting in traffic. Smaller vehicle display with immediate side and offset rear vehicles displayed. Still unable to read beyond the first car in front, but able to identify the exact lane and vehicles in the blind spots.
full

Last edited:
The rain sensor on ap1 cars are big piece of poop too, not really that great

I have been stuck with an ap1 loaner all week. The ap2 is better in almost every way now, except ap1 is more predictable and ap1 does better when a lane expand or closed up (ap1 tends to stay to one side while ap2 will go down the middle)

so it sounds like AP1 is trailing behind more and more with each update.....

i just recently got a 2016 X but without AP. My question is...does it cost the same to add AP functionality to an older X as it does to add EAP with all it's bells and whistles to the newer models?

so it sounds like AP1 is trailing behind more and more with each update.....

i just recently got a 2016 X but without AP. My question is...does it cost the same to add AP functionality to an older X as it does to add EAP with all it's bells and whistles to the newer models?

Some 2016s were AP2 hardware so it depends. But if you’re AP eligible it is cheaper than EAP but if you have AP2 hardware you can only add EAP at this point. There are also some AP2 hardware on AP software from when it was first launched.

And yes, as time goes on the software will fall further behind. No different than say an iPhone. You might not need to go from a iPhone X to an iPhone XS, or even from an iPhone 8+; but eventually if you’re on the iPhone 5 then it’s a huge difference. Still usable as a phone but the feature set starts to widen.