Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Layout vs efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the proposed layout from Tesla 24 panels facing east (front of the house), will it be more efficient to place half the panels facing East and the other half West? ( See attached pdf) Will they change the layout if requested? Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• Tesla solar.pdf
    902.2 KB · Views: 73
Is the compass heading in the drawing wrong? If it's right then all of their panels they proposed seem to be facing west (unless the roof slopes like a "V" instead of the usual "A"). If they messed up the compass or made the wrong assumption on roof slope then those seem like issues the designer may have misunderstood based on a bad/unclear drawing, so if you pointed that out I'd think they'd fix it and that might affect the proposal.

Out here in California, west-facing arrays are preferred because of the way net metering interacts with time-of-use rates. Energy later in the day is worth more than energy earlier in the day due to the pricing. I don't know whether you have the same situation out there.

If you just want to see how the efficiency works out with the different arrangements, the tool that commonly is recommended is the PVWatts Calculator.

Reactions: GenSao
I just received the proposed layout from Tesla 24 panels facing east (front of the house), will it be more efficient to place half the panels facing East and the other half West? ( See attached pdf) Will they change the layout if requested? Thanks for the input.

It seems like there are some obstructions (vents) on your west side. Also, in Florida, west is slightly less efficient than east, due to afternoon thunderstorms and higher afternoon temperatures. If south is not an option, then east is the second best location. I would keep it as is.

In any event, the difference between west and east is small, probably <5%. And your house is probably not facing exactly towards east and west.

Reactions: Mompe