Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laziness is winning, about to go to touchless automatic wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yep this. Ours looks like that right now.

My wife takes hers to wash it a LOT. she loves the car. And Im not going to stop her such a pretty car. ! besides, I dont have time to hand wash cars anymore. So, I usually wipe with either a polish or the stainless steel wipes after she does, or we go together. non issue.
Put on a carnuba wax or ceramic spray to make it hydrophobic. That should help for about 2 months, then reapply. Should take about 2 minutes to do and save you time from wiping it down each time.

Reactions: Peelz and mrwug
Stainless steel wipes?
yes weimans stainless wipes. I have them for my refrigerator. :) But... I found later, just using the polish/wax spray handles it, and last longer.

Put on a carnuba wax or ceramic spray to make it hydrophobic. That should help for about 2 months, then reapply. Should take about 2 minutes to do and save you time from wiping it down each time.

yes this is what I found as well! Wax will last longer, but the wipes do a really good job of shining it up.....

Yep. I can’t even get Tesla to quote me an out of pocket replacement!

I'm laughing because you knew what was going to happen and did it anyways. If you haven't been able to clean it off and you haven't been able to get a price quote to replace it, an easy and likely significantly cheaper fix is to get the trim wrapped with a matte vinyl that matches the original finish.

I'm laughing because you knew what was going to happen and did it anyways. If you haven't been able to clean it off and you haven't been able to get a price quote to replace it, an easy and likely significantly cheaper fix is to get the trim wrapped with a matte vinyl that matches the original finish.
I've actually thought about the "chrome delete" option. I was able to clean a serious amount of it off, but I can still tell in certain light, I just wish Tesla would have given me a quote without me having to fight about it.

I did know there was a good chance, but I thought possibly with ceramic coating it wouldn't be an issue. I broke down because of the heat and lack of time I've had for the last couple weeks, but I also really do want an easy solution for winter time. November to basically early March it's too cold here to wash a car. I'm not a huge fan of sitting in my uninsulated garage that is only a few degrees warmer than outside using a rinseless wash and would MUCH rather be able to take it through a touchless wash. I have full body PPF so I'm not terribly worried about sandblasting the paint or anything if it's recycled water with crappy filtration... it's just that dang trim now that's keeping me from being able to do it.

Chrome delete is what, usually like $500 to $800? Debating if that amount is worth being able to use a touchless wash or if I push with Tesla (probably just call the Spokane, WA service center until they answer) to get a quote for replacement trim. I'm ok with the rear trim area that's connected with the little glass window, I would just be happy with the rest of the trim replaced and I THINK that part should be considerably cheaper...

If you plan on doing a road trip to the East Coast, my wife and I can do vinyl wrap the trim for you. We did a whole Model 3, so the trim would be a piece of cake.

Once it gets cooler with the temps, you can also look at some of the better ceramic coatings that are easy to apply. Tec580 ceramic coating isn't expensive and has a fairly easy flashing window to apply and buff off. Once you apply it, you should be ok to go through touchless washes for 1-2 years without reapplying it. I'm currently using the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Spray but the durability isn't quite the 6 months I was hoping for. It's lasting about 4 months, which isn't bad but I want something I can apply late Fall that'll last me through early Spring.

Reactions: Gtp618
If you plan on doing a road trip to the East Coast, my wife and I can do vinyl wrap the trim for you. We did a whole Model 3, so the trim would be a piece of cake.

Once it gets cooler with the temps, you can also look at some of the better ceramic coatings that are easy to apply. Tec580 ceramic coating isn't expensive and has a fairly easy flashing window to apply and buff off. Once you apply it, you should be ok to go through touchless washes for 1-2 years without reapplying it. I'm currently using the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Spray but the durability isn't quite the 6 months I was hoping for. It's lasting about 4 months, which isn't bad but I want something I can apply late Fall that'll last me through early Spring.
I had my detailer that did my PPF apply ceramic to the trim... it was about 7 months old when I hit this car wash. I had also been "touching up" with a retail grade ceramic that was probably less than a month old. Either the ceramic doesn't bond well to the metal or the chemicals burn right through the coating within seconds...

I had my detailer that did my PPF apply ceramic to the trim... it was about 7 months old when I hit this car wash. I had also been "touching up" with a retail grade ceramic that was probably less than a month old. Either the ceramic doesn't bond well to the metal or the chemicals burn right through the coating within seconds...
Yeah, the consumer SiO² won't hold up against those chemicals. I'm surprised the pro-grade ceramic didn't last, either. Typically the 9H products are known to last well over 12-18+ months with touchless washes.

Yeah, the consumer SiO² won't hold up against those chemicals. I'm surprised the pro-grade ceramic didn't last, either. Typically the 9H products are known to last well over 12-18+ months with touchless washes.
I'm wondering if it might be a bonding issue. That metal may be "considerably" smoother than paint protection film or paint (even paint corrected paint). The ceramic may not have had micropores and stuff to bond with.

Verdict; $880 car wash....

That's how much Tesla will charge for the upper and lower window trim replacement via mobile service. I opted to NOT have the little trim bits on the rear quarter windows replaced since those are almost $900 just for the right/left side.

Honestly my trim cleaned up fairly well and the rear quarters look fine.... but there are some sections on the upper and lower trim that still look a bit bad in specific light or when I wash the car, etc. The car is perfect other than that, like perfect perfect with paint protection film and everything... so this bugs me big time.

No more car washes... which I knew before hand... ugh, I don't know what I was thinking. Ceramic coating didn't do crap to protect it... like most chemical treatments.

I have a bottle of THIS i bought for 3 dollars from a clearance rack 2 yrs ago that works perfectly for this. spray it into a rag and rub the trim with it right after my wife washes the car. takes maybe 1 minute per side. I imagine any cheap wax/polish would work just fine.

5403074.jpeg

And then you do it again...

This complaint confuses me. I had the same issue on the black trim of my Alfa Romeo Giulia. All I needed to do was wipe the trim with some Meguiars Cleaner Wax afterward and it looked as good as new.

Requesting or wanting the entire trim replaced is bonkers.
Well I didn't have to do that when it was brand new.... I didn't have to apply anything after a rain or snow or anything.

I want it back to that state. I don't want to have to apply something to the trim every time it gets wet or every month or so, even if it's dead simple and takes a minute or two. I learned; I thought ceramic had me covered, but boy did it not.