Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaf falling from the tree, onto the Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if it shows my account age on this forum, but I've been considering Tesla's for a long time. I've been very close to buying one several times, but each time I couldn't justify it. Other vehicles I bought instead, 2016 Sonata Hybrid, 2018 Nissan Leaf.

My wife and I both do real estate, and the other day, I had to decline a showing for a new client because the Leaf would not have been able to do the range without question, at the speed I needed to do between this request and an already booked appointment. That kicked off the hunt again. I was already considering a 2021 "Plaid" as a goofy splurge into it, with the 500+ mile range w/ tri motor advancement, this just kicked into doing it.

The 2018 Leaf is the one with the 'newer' body style. It no longer looked like a hotdog bun. I wouldn't call it 'sexy' in any stretch, but it didn't look like the original, goofy design. This one landed on my radar as the had gone from 75mi range to 170... Honestly, usable range for my normal commute. Obviously, winter degrades battery use, so instead of the 170 I'd see in the summer, I'd get around 120. Still plenty for work & back commuting, without real estate trips...

The Leaf, fully loaded was $42k, about half of the cost of a Tesla at the time. We loved this car. We loved it enough that when it was time the wife wanted a newer car, I dumped the Sonata just so that we could keep the full EV. That, and what I found to be one of the only real downsides on the Leaf - Depreciation. FIFTY PERCENT in the first year. Trade in was around 20-22k. Yikes.

So, I now had motivation to keep an EV. I love driving them, the instant punch of torque and simplicity is just fantastic. I've vowed I won't be without one... but never know.

So, the last time I was very close to buying one, I rented one for a week using Turo, while on a business trip. This was before I owned the leaf. This was as much exploratory as anything. I even did a review of it -- slightly different than my hobby of reviewing motorcycles!

After that rental, I went to the Tesla dealer in Boston and did a test drive of the Model X Performance. It was faster than the S, but also noticeably HEAVIER. That ruled one of those out, but I also learned I was not excited about a software choice they had made.

I've been in IT for many years. Learning that the NEW car I was driving was not able to do the same things as the previous one was a bit shocking to me. I was informed by the salesperson that due to the new camera system, it was still learning, so it couldn't do it. I asked myself - WHY in the world did they not backport the old data into the new system and let it build FROM that starting point... Maybe there's a real reason, but I still can't believe the old data from the old system couldn't be a better starting base. I still don't, but hey, not my monkey, not my circus. At that time, I was buying a Tesla for their software - the cool adaptive cruise, self driving, etc.

This time, I'm buying a Tesla for range. This is why I didn't buy the performance version - Losing 75mi range isn't worth the giddy-up, considering this car is still WAY faster than my last fun car - A Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4!

I'm very curious how this transition will be. One gripe I have with my Leaf is the amount of distance loss I have when on the Highway. It's probably in the 30% less range at highway speeds. I didn't remember that being the case in a Tesla. Another interesting thing - In my Leaf, it's got CarPlay/AndroidAuto - Waze shows me hazards in the road and ... police... which I don't believe the Telsa does what-so-ever. I assume Tesla's mapping is very good -- it was a few years ago, good traffic data, etc. I will be curious how the Tesla will be. Does it have Pandora? Spotify? Or is it still that 'other' streaming app I can't recall currently... I'm looking forward to the autopilot. The adaptive cruise in the leaf and lane keep assist works VERY well compared to other vehicles we've had with it, but I recall the Tesla being way better. Especially follow distance. The Leaf, at closest distance still leaves New England drivers PLENTY of room to just dive right in, infront of me, causing the leaf to suddenly decelerate. I remember the Tesla actually made me panic a bit - It would follow close to the car in front of it so close it felt like I was riding with my wife! :p I also look forward to the adaptive cruise to actually continue driving after waiting at a light. None of my other vehicles seem to pull this off, and it's quite annoying. Especially when you're stuck in traffic bumper to bumper on the freeway.

Anyway, That's my story. Picking up one of their demo units 400ish miles on it, $4300 off this week. White, Long Range, White interior, I wanted 19" wheels for the rougher roads where I live - but it's coming with 21" -- Maybe I'll pick up some winter wheels somewhere. This may determine if I'll do a trade in for the Plaid next year. More range AND power...

Dave aka Ghan

Speaking as a Realtor, if you’re going to be using the car to chauffeur around your clients to showings, etc. I think you’d be better off with an X. It’d be easier for your clients to get in and out of (at least for those of a certain age) and the tax benefits to you are greater. The range of the 2021 model is 371. However, if you want low-slung sex appeal and a longer range, then yes, the S is the way to go.

Reactions: aerodyne
In my experience with our MX90D you should expect to lose about 20% of your range @~73mph, though may be slightly less for a Model S. Those 21" wheels are also going to reduce your range a bit.

Our first BEV was a '16 LEAF SV that we bought back in 2015. It was a great little commuter car, but the Teslas we have owned are leagues better in nearly every measurable way. I've never really had brand loyalty and I wouldn't say I'm loyal to Tesla, but I can say that there are no better BEVs on the market for our needs.

Good luck with your Model S!

Speaking as a Realtor, if you’re going to be using the car to chauffeur around your clients to showings, etc. I think you’d be better off with an X. It’d be easier for your clients to get in and out of (at least for those of a certain age) and the tax benefits to you are greater. The range of the 2021 model is 371. However, if you want low-slung sex appeal and a longer range, then yes, the S is the way to go.

I try not to bring anyone in my vehicles, unless I -really- know them. Good tip though!
Dave

In my experience with our MX90D you should expect to lose about 20% of your range @~73mph, though may be slightly less for a Model S. Those 21" wheels are also going to reduce your range a bit.

Our first BEV was a '16 LEAF SV that we bought back in 2015. It was a great little commuter car, but the Teslas we have owned are leagues better in nearly every measurable way. I've never really had brand loyalty and I wouldn't say I'm loyal to Tesla, but I can say that there are no better BEVs on the market for our needs.

Good luck with your Model S!

Thanks! I really am looking forward to it.

Very cool. I'll have to try it out. seems to just be a blank page on my browser here, but I'll see what it'll do in the car. It's rare I'm speeding too - been well over a decade since I had a ticket, I'm just too old to care. :D
Depends on the browser I guess. On Safari (Mac or iPhone), works great, and on Win10 with Chrome too.

Reading through your post, I get the feel you've been talking yourself out of a Tesla way too much, only to talk yourself into sub-par alternatives. You got hung up to missing Apple Play or being irritated by the new autopilot, to end up with a car with limited range and charging capacity.

Learning that the NEW car I was driving was not able to do the same things as the previous one was a bit shocking to me. I was informed by the salesperson that due to the new camera system, it was still learning, so it couldn't do it. I asked myself - WHY in the world did they not backport the old data into the new system and let it build FROM that starting point... Maybe there's a real reason, but I still can't believe the old data from the old system couldn't be a better starting base.
The old system was an off-the-shelf MobilEye system. The newer system is developed in-house. This means much more data stays with Tesla, and is constructed differently, than the data Tesla could get from the MobilEye black box.

Tesla, in all it's models, is always the better package. And whatever you think you miss, there's ample room to hang your smartphone or even tablet. On longer distances, I use Waze on my smartphone next to the Tesla navigation, and they are quite competitive in dynamic routing results.

Reading through your post, I get the feel you've been talking yourself out of a Tesla way too much, only to talk yourself into sub-par alternatives. You got hung up to missing Apple Play or being irritated by the new autopilot, to end up with a car with limited range and charging capacity.

The old system was an off-the-shelf MobilEye system. The newer system is developed in-house. This means much more data stays with Tesla, and is constructed differently, than the data Tesla could get from the MobilEye black box.

Tesla, in all it's models, is always the better package. And whatever you think you miss, there's ample room to hang your smartphone or even tablet. On longer distances, I use Waze on my smartphone next to the Tesla navigation, and they are quite competitive in dynamic routing results.

Thanks for the run through for the MobilEye system! That's the part I never heard. THAT would make sense to me. A completely different platform, not just upgraded cameras, etc. Of course, no sales weenie will ever have THAT kind of information. As for talking myself out - Absolutely! Spending this kind of money on ANY car should be well thought out.

I agree, I'm fairly happy with Tesla's navigation, and it's integration with the car obviously makes any less than perfect choices acceptable too. Seeing the Tesla absorbs all of the audio capability of the phone via bluetooth, is there any way for me to allow the audio from Waze for alerts through a Tesla? It took me a couple days to figure out and turn on the 'messaging' ability, not sure if there's something similar for other apps to make noise through the stereo?

Dave aka Ghan

Seeing the Tesla absorbs all of the audio capability of the phone via bluetooth, is there any way for me to allow the audio from Waze for alerts through a Tesla? It took me a couple days to figure out and turn on the 'messaging' ability, not sure if there's something similar for other apps to make noise through the stereo?
In Waze you can set up that it will play audio notifications over bluetooth. That should do it.

But honestly, with autopilot I seldom speed anymore and just let autopilot take the wheel, and drive without any audio notifications. Over a 60 mile drive it takes like less than 10 minutes extra to my old driving style if there wasn't any traffic, so I just plan accordingly.

In Waze you can set up that it will play audio notifications over bluetooth. That should do it.

But honestly, with autopilot I seldom speed anymore and just let autopilot take the wheel, and drive without any audio notifications. Over a 60 mile drive it takes like less than 10 minutes extra to my old driving style if there wasn't any traffic, so I just plan accordingly.

Agreed. I'm often annoyed by the folks ramming up my ass while on the road traveling at reasonable rates these days. There are just some times I am motivated to push a bit more. With that said, those times I may throw on waze. As for Waze & Bluetooth - It's on. It works in my motorcycle helmets, it works in my truck, it works everywhere. The only key difference I believe is normally for that to happen, I'd have to tune the 'stereo' to "bluetooth" to hear it. Most of them wouldn't broadcast bluetooth while listening to FM radio, for example.

Just curiosities of new vehicles!

I think you can set up in Waze what type of bluetooth connection it should use. Stereo would be the same channel as music, which means your car would need to be set to listening to a bluetooth input channel. But you can also select the "headset" or "handsfree" profile which is the profile used to use your phone to call people over the "car kit", and that would have priority over whatever music you are listening to.

List of Bluetooth profiles - Wikipedia

Basically, playing music on your smartphone over your Tesla would use the A2DP profile. Calling someone would be HFP or HSP.

Personally I think speeding up for tailgaters is a lost cause, and I speak from experience as a tailgatee and (pre-Tesla) tailgater. For some people, no speed is high enough to not bother them.

I think you can set up in Waze what type of bluetooth connection it should use. Stereo would be the same channel as music, which means your car would need to be set to listening to a bluetooth input channel. But you can also select the "headset" or "handsfree" profile which is the profile used to use your phone to call people over the "car kit", and that would have priority over whatever music you are listening to.

List of Bluetooth profiles - Wikipedia

Basically, playing music on your smartphone over your Tesla would use the A2DP profile. Calling someone would be HFP or HSP.

Personally I think speeding up for tailgaters is a lost cause, and I speak from experience as a tailgatee and (pre-Tesla) tailgater. For some people, no speed is high enough to not bother them.
Some people see you're in a "fast" car and just want to be ahead of you.
Let them be your "radar shield", I say.

Reactions: HankLloydRight