Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking glue from screen behind steering wheel (leaking down from under the steering column)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I have a 2013 S, abt 150K miles…. Tesla says its not impacting car function but asking to replace the two screens as a solution for the glue leak (abt $1800 cost). I am debating getting a new car in a year or so and trying to decide if that’s worth spending that money or if there’s another way to just get the glue cleaned would greatly appreciate advice here.

Has anyone tried just getting the glue cleaned? Does the leaking glue damage anything else? Also how long will that be leaking (like how much glue is there and how long does it take for all of it)? Once the glue is all/mostly out, is there anything else that will get impacted? Thanks!

yep, known issue. Best approach as noted is to upgrade to MCU2 which will make your car feel new from the inside with the snappy MCU. The upgrade requires both screens to be replaced (same price for upgrade), and your main screen will eventually leak anyways. This also addressed the EMMC issue which you've likely already had addressed though. Also, the upgrade price is lower with out AP, so be sure you get the lower price

Upvote 0
yep, known issue. Best approach as noted is to upgrade to MCU2 which will make your car feel new from the inside with the snappy MCU. The upgrade requires both screens to be replaced (same price for upgrade), and your main screen will eventually leak anyways. This also addressed the EMMC issue which you've likely already had addressed though. Also, the upgrade price is lower with out AP, so be sure you get the lower price
Thanks!

Upvote 0
gaswalla maybe right but I think he also could be wrong. I do see that he has been a member almost 2 years longer than myself. He also appears to have more time to post things than I may. Could be the reason he feels the need to bash others post or call them uninformed. The upgrade from a MCU1 to a MCU2 fixed both issues by replacing both screens. Good luck with the car arjunareddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaswalla
Upvote 0