Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting allot of Rain in California and I have found my Trunk is leaking somewhere near the back left, maybe coming in near the tailight, or around the seal.
I'm just out of warranty.
Not sure what is causing it but if this is common what do I need to buy to fix this myself?

Search some of the other threads. I think I recently saw someone had found the source of his leak in a weld of the trunk that's really hard to see. I'm assuming he put some silicon caulk or something similar to stop the leak.

I’ve had two trunk leaks fixed in warranty - both required the trunk seal to be replaced; one of them they replaced the charge port too but I’m not convinced that was a source of water. They also replaced the trunk wiring harness as part of an advisory.

To be honest I still find it hard to see how that much water could make it past the trunk seal which in both cases looked ok but i had cupfuls of water getting in every time it rained

1674080498210.png

I spoke to the chap working on my car who called to find out where the water was coming from and he was highly skeptical of leaking welds. He also said rear window would result in huge amount of water in, and lights would be obvious too and unlikely.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I spoke to the chap working on my car who called to find out where the water was coming from and he was highly skeptical of leaking welds. He also said rear window would result in huge amount of water in, and lights would be obvious too and unlikely.
yea I don't think it's the lights because the flet liner up top isn't wet. My guess is it is an issue with the trunk seal. I'm starting to have charging port issues too and I still have that recall for the rear camera as well.
I think I'll try to make some time soon to lay in the back and have my wife soak the car with a hose and see if I can find where it is coming in.

I wonder how much replacing the charging port or contacts will cost me.

There's a technical service bulletin that says to seal the inside and outside of the trunk lid seams and put in thicker gaskets behind the tailamps. There is also a new trunk gasket for the model 3, but that is only to help with water rolling off the back window. Of course Tesla will tell you the TSB doesn't apply to your car, however this Model Y TSB uses a model 3 in it's video! My trunk is still full of water after several in warranty visits. The main problem in almost all cases is that water gets into the lid, then sloshes into the trunk.

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 16