Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking water after opening FWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time there is a bit of water on my FWD and I open them, the water leaks in.

I took my MX to the service yesterday. They said they fixed the issue and tested that there is no water leaking. This morning, the same thing happened. See the photos and a gif video below. I am contacting them again to see what else can be done.

Is this normal? Anyone having similar issues?

Attachments

• MX Leak 1.jpg
    MX Leak 1.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 296
  • MX Leak 2.jpg
    MX Leak 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 200
  • MX Leak.gif
    MX Leak.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 227
  • Informative
Reactions: JQS3
They told me they replaced the seals...
Have them do it again, right this time. It's hard to tell from the angle of your photo, but mine have an 8mm or so gap at the point where yours shows water running over the seal. It was a much narrower gap before they replaced my seals. It still has limits, it's going to leak if I open both doors and the rear hatch in the rain, but it doesn't leak anymore with the volume of water in your pictures.

EDIT: In fact, if that's a picture from after the repair, it looks to be installed incorrectly. I'll take a picture of mine from a similar angle.

Last edited:
IMG_2057.jpg
In your picture, it looks like that fat part of the seal (with the small vent holes) is pushed right up against the central structure between the doors. In mine, there's a good 8mm gap between where the rubber seal around that middle strip of glass ends and the portion of the seal that water is flowing over in your clip. If you follow the seal around the door, you can see what it's supposed to look like uncompressed.

It still has limits, it's going to leak if I open both doors and the rear hatch in the rain, but it doesn't leak anymore with the volume of water in your pictures.

It even warns in the user manual not to open the tailgate and FWDs at the same time in heavy rain. One way to minimise water spillage when raining hard is to set your FWD doors to the "low" setting. It gives the seals more of a chance to drain without overloading. So I always do this now when I stop in the rain.

Overall I find the umbrella effect keeps more water out and the occupants drier than a car with conventional rear doors, where you end up with a soaked door card and a good soaking yourself when buckling kids into seats etc. With the FWDs you can just stand under the self-generated umbrella and take your time. It's one of the cool features of FWDs if you have small kids.

I have the exact same issue. I took it to the service center and they said they fixed it, but instead it leaks more water now. I have scheduled another appointment, hopefully they fix it properly this time!

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 195
It even warns in the user manual not to open the tailgate and FWDs at the same time in heavy rain. One way to minimise water spillage when raining hard is to set your FWD doors to the "low" setting. It gives the seals more of a chance to drain without overloading. So I always do this now when I stop in the rain.

In my case it was not even raining. There was some (not much) standing water on the top of the car. Look at the photos in my original post.

I pointed my Tesla service to this email thread, to evaluate some of the suggestions. Lets see if that helps.
Here's a bad drawing that explains more or less how the seal is supposed to work. There's a reason I'm not an artist...

Roof glass is the panel that sits between the 2 FWDs, It has a rubber seal around the edge. That seal should slightly overlap the edge of the door molding, leaving a fairly wide water channel before the thicker seal part of the molding that keeps out the elements when the FWD is closed.

The narrower the water channel, the more likely water is to cascade over the seal when the FWD is opened. If you open the FWD fully and look at the seal from the top, you should be able to lay a pencil down in that channel.

Attachments

• Bad Drawing.png
    Bad Drawing.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 205

I have found stopping the door half way to let water drain a little more slowly can help reduce amount of water entering the cabin.

The gap on the top is much smaller than the gap on the side. I used my pinkie as a comparison.

Attachments

• 3C0159FA-4B0A-444B-889F-E35C4256FED1.jpeg
    3C0159FA-4B0A-444B-889F-E35C4256FED1.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 184
  • 50EE8D74-7049-49C2-821D-A465A9DC5CE0.jpeg
    50EE8D74-7049-49C2-821D-A465A9DC5CE0.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 191
The gap on the top is much smaller than the gap on the side. I used my pinkie as a comparison.
Yeah, they installed the new one wrong, it's pushed in way too far. I don't know if the original molding was tucked under the "Model X" trim, but when they replaced mine, it overlaps the edge of it considerably. In yours, it looks like they pushed it in so it wouldn't overlap.

In my case it was not even raining. There was some (not much) standing water on the top of the car. Look at the photos in my original post.

I find that it's the standing water on the roof that is the main issue here. Opening the doors to low makes the water drain off the top slower with less potential for flooding. Works for me anyway and it is referenced in the user manual - that's where I got the idea to try it.