TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Learn to change the battry of Tesla key fob,save money for yourself.

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Xiao ma ge, May 2, 2017.

Tags:
?

Do you know the way to change battery before?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
  1. Xiao ma ge

Xiao ma ge Member

Learn to change the battry of Tesla key fob,save money for yourself.
    It is very easy to do,but many Tesla owner choose to buy a new key fob because they don't know how to change the battery.
    The battery change steps:
    1.Prepare a new battery「2032 button battery for MODEL S,CR2354 button battery for MODEL X」,a Flat-Head screwdriver(or you can use your long fingernails)
    1.png
    2.Use the screwdriver to lift the lid of key fob lightly.
    2.png
    3.Use the screwdriver to pry the former battery off.
    3.png
    4.Pull the paper of the new battery apart.
    4.png
    5.Push the new battery in with your thumb.
    5.png

6.Put the battery cover back.
    6.png

• Like x 2
  2. Gforce1

Gforce1 Member

A whole new FOB because of a dead battery? Haha..... Hopefully they know the car is still good when the battery runs low. ;)

Good advise!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Just for future reference. Whilst these batterys have 3 volts stamped on them. They start life at around 3.2-3.2 volts. If you happen to test one with your multimeter at under 3.0v. Its on its last legs.

• Like x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Uh, what? Instructions are in the manual.... and Tesla even changes batteries at service intervals. Not sure where the 'buy new fobs' idea is coming from here.

The manual even has the detailed diagram of how to insert the battery correctly and not crush the terminals, which isn't obvious.

• Like x 1
  5. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Yeah I question the "many Tesla owners are buying new fobs". Sounds more like FUD to me if he didn't provide the instructions. I had a loaner one day and the car indicated the fob battery was low. I ended up prying open the fob (the message was annoying) to test the battery and it was within specifications. After I returned the car, I mentioned the battery low message and he said they just replaced the battery. Maybe it was a faulty fob.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Only thing I'd add to the casual 'replacer' is to be sure you keep the battery clean when you put it in (but that's in the manual also!). ;)

7. mitchellh3

mitchellh3 Member

I've had a couple fobs die on me and I just walked into the service center (off my vehicle service schedule) and they replaced the battery on the spot under warranty. If you're under warranty, just walk into a service center (you don't need an appointment).

I'm assuming this post is for folks NOT under warranty.

• Like x 2
  8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

even though I am under warranty I gave the salesperson at the tesla store my fob and a replacement battery and he replaced it for me. while the service centers would usually have a battery on hand the stores might not.

9. Xiao ma ge

Xiao ma ge Member

Thx

10. Xiao ma ge

Xiao ma ge Member

Although Tesla service center will replace it for you. But it's better if the owners do it themselves to take off the work load from the service center.

11. JohnnyCakes

JohnnyCakes Member

with this hack you have described, i'm sure the SC's will now have enough capacity to service all the new Model 3's.

have you tweeted this to Elon yet?

• Funny x 1
  12. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I get both changed by the service center when the car is in for the annual service.

• Like x 1