Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learn to change the battry of Tesla key fob,save money for yourself.

Do you know the way to change battery before?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Learn to change the battry of Tesla key fob,save money for yourself.
It is very easy to do,but many Tesla owner choose to buy a new key fob because they don't know how to change the battery.
The battery change steps:
1.Prepare a new battery「2032 button battery for MODEL S,CR2354 button battery for MODEL X」,a Flat-Head screwdriver(or you can use your long fingernails)
1.png

2.Use the screwdriver to lift the lid of key fob lightly.
2.png

3.Use the screwdriver to pry the former battery off.
3.png

4.Pull the paper of the new battery apart.
4.png

5.Push the new battery in with your thumb.
5.png

6.Put the battery cover back.
6.png

Reactions: wesley888 and Tam
Uh, what? Instructions are in the manual.... and Tesla even changes batteries at service intervals. Not sure where the 'buy new fobs' idea is coming from here.

The manual even has the detailed diagram of how to insert the battery correctly and not crush the terminals, which isn't obvious.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Yeah I question the "many Tesla owners are buying new fobs". Sounds more like FUD to me if he didn't provide the instructions. I had a loaner one day and the car indicated the fob battery was low. I ended up prying open the fob (the message was annoying) to test the battery and it was within specifications. After I returned the car, I mentioned the battery low message and he said they just replaced the battery. Maybe it was a faulty fob.

Yeah I question the "many Tesla owners are buying new fobs". Sounds more like FUD to me if he didn't provide the instructions. I had a loaner one day and the car indicated the fob battery was low. I ended up prying open the fob (the message was annoying) to test the battery and it was within specifications. After I returned the car, I mentioned the battery low message and he said they just replaced the battery. Maybe it was a faulty fob.
Only thing I'd add to the casual 'replacer' is to be sure you keep the battery clean when you put it in (but that's in the manual also!). ;)

even though I am under warranty I gave the salesperson at the tesla store my fob and a replacement battery and he replaced it for me. while the service centers would usually have a battery on hand the stores might not.

Uh, what? Instructions are in the manual.... and Tesla even changes batteries at service intervals. Not sure where the 'buy new fobs' idea is coming from here.

The manual even has the detailed diagram of how to insert the battery correctly and not crush the terminals, which isn't obvious.
Although Tesla service center will replace it for you. But it's better if the owners do it themselves to take off the work load from the service center.