Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

leasing because of battery concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a link posted on one of these threads this morning, in the past, Tesla has provided (at least some Model Ses, not sure if there's a stipulation) a Trade-in/Resale Value Guarantee, stating that after 36 months, any car you purchased will have a guaranteed resale value of 50% the base model price + 44% cost of all additional options added. After 36 months, you have 3 months to sell the car back to Tesla for that amount. Assuming that applies to all Model Ses, if you bought a base Model S outright for $70k, you could trade it back in to Tesla after 3 years for $35k. Not sure how the rebate/incentives affect that number. Either way, seems well worth the investment by your numbers above.

But you need to know how much of the 34k-ish you paid in the lease went towards the car or towards profit for them. If I paid cash you could say I only need to pay another 26k to keep the car, so to speak. But if I've leased I've put in 34k but need to give them 35k or more if they say the car is in poor condition?

Charges for mileage driven above the limit in the lease are definitely a concern. Also, I can't say for sure, since I've never leased a car, but I would think that you would feel differently about a car if you've leased it compared with buying it outright. Isn't there more pride of ownership involved in owning it outright?

Leasing never makes sense, consumerism at its finest.
I mostly agree with you, but if you're that rare driver who only drives 12,000 miles/year, trades in every 3 years on a new car, and loves making car payments ad infinitum, leasing may make sense for you.

However a good reason to lease a Tesla is that their technology and improvements come at a breakneck pace; a car three years from now will be significantly better in many areas most likely.

I'm leasing because Tesla's technology moves very fast. Model S improvements over 3 years has borne this. I'm not worried about the battery and power train.
I hear this a lot, and I just don't get it. What technology advancements are people worried about being protected from? Range? If the car had enough range when you bought it, chances are it will still work for you 3 years out (assuming no significant degradation, which has proven to be the case with Tesla). Other than that, I don't see what advances people fear. Autopilot? Flying cars? None of that is Tesla- (or even EV-) specific - we can see advances in autopilot rendering an ICE obsolete, too.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I mostly agree with you, but if you're that rare driver who only drives 12,000 miles/year, trades in every 3 years on a new car, and loves making car payments ad infinitum, leasing may make sense for you.

I hear this a lot, and I just don't get it. What technology advancements are people worried about being protected from? Range? If the car had enough range when you bought it, chances are it will still work for you 3 years out (assuming no significant degradation, which has proven to be the case with Tesla). Other than that, I don't see what advances people fear. Autopilot? Flying cars? None of that is Tesla- (or even EV-) specific - we can see advances in autopilot rendering an ICE obsolete, too.

Consumerism at its finest ^