Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

leasing model 3 an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came here to ask this question as well. The better reason to lease the Model 3 is that the $7,500 rebate is worked into the lease price rather than your income taxes, so I'd prefer to lease the Model 3 then potentially purchase it at the end.

Careful with that, with the Model S and X the $7,500 tax credit is indeed worked into the lease residual to lower your monthly payment, but then it is part of the residual due at the end if you want to buy/keep it. (So you don't get to keep the credit yourself at all.)

Careful with that, with the Model S and X the $7,500 tax credit is indeed worked into the lease residual to lower your monthly payment, but then it is part of the residual due at the end if you want to buy/keep it. (So you don't get to keep the credit yourself at all.)

Hmm, that's very annoying. Other EV manufacturers factor the $7,500 into the residual at the end. But Tesla has changed much of its ways for the Model 3 compared to the S/X so we will see.

It would be very convenient to get the $7,500 worked into the purchase price.

Yes, you can lease, finance, or pay cash for either the Model S or X even from a reservation. (Tesla doesn't care how they get the money, they don't do the financing/leasing themselves they have partners that do that for them, or you can use your own bank/credit union.)

Even at the initial launch? If that's the case I assume it'd be the same for the Model 3. I just hope they get the $7,500 credit squared away for lesees who purchase it.

Even at the initial launch? If that's the case I assume it'd be the same for the Model 3. I just hope they get the $7,500 credit squared away for lesees who purchase it.

This is the way its going to be until the credit runs out. If you are going to lease to purchase do NOT lease at the onsef then. I plan on leaaing and then turning in either for another Model 3 or an S at that point

The leases are structured to create lower lease payments which make the car more affordable for those who lease. The flip side of that is taking a hit on the residual, which most don't care about as they won't buy at lease end. If the lender was going to work the credit into the residual, you would just end up paying for it in higher payments which would also mean more intrest/lease charge.

If you think you are going to keep it, buy it. However, keep in mind, you are getting a Gen 1 product here that will be refined significantly over the first few years of production. In two/three years, you may be very ready for what's new.

As for "will leasing be available?" Nobody here speaks for Tesla, so you should ask them if you need a 100% answer, but "yes" would be a safe answer based on the leasing relationships they've worked on with lenders over the past few years. They didn't do all that work just for the S/X.

Assuming tax credit, lease deals could be good. However Model S lease deals are pretty terrible. Without tax credit, and since Tesla doesn't discount, lease deal on a model 3 would likely be terrible...

The reason certain 42k German cars can lease for 400/m is because you are getting like 4k discount... and discount affects lease rate a LOT, since you are essentially paying that much less over 36 months. For example, if residual is 60%, then if you were to pay a sale price of 42k (42k MSRP), you would be paying for the depreciation of 16.8k; however if you are discounted by 4k, you ll only be paying for 12.8k.

So without that discount, your monthly payment over the 36 month lease is up by about 111 bucks per month.