Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing? Please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
So now that the Y is announced.... and prices are going back up .... anyone else think leasing is right around the bend?

I want it to turn on quickly! I'm at a point where I'd come out a little ahead getting out of my current lease early; I have a trade in price from Vroom that puts me ahead.

If Tesla would've enabled Model 3 leasing I'd have ordered one tonight.

The last I saw was a leaked memo stating it’s coming, and then a statement saying “later this year” ....

I’m ready. But won’t do a purchase - this has to be a lease, or no dice. I don’t want the ownership, and especially not when I’m expecting a Model Y in my future.

3rd party leasing scares me too. First of all, I can’t imagine the financials being very good. Secondly, I can only imagine the service and support mess that’d get me into with Tesla. If they’re advertising via some YouTube knucklehead, I think I’ll take a pass ..... I get that Tesla is shaking the market up, but some things I prefer to be a little more traditional.

Last edited:
The last I saw was a leaked memo stating it’s coming, and then a statement saying “later this year” ....

I’m ready. But won’t do a purchase - this has to be a lease, or no dice. I don’t want the ownership, and especially not when I’m expecting a Model Y in my future.

3rd party leasing scares me too. First of all, I can’t imagine the financials being very good. Secondly, I can only imagine the service and support mess that’d get me into with Tesla. If they’re advertising via some YouTube knucklehead, I think I’ll take a pass ..... I get that Tesla is shaking the market up, but some things I prefer to be a little more traditional.

All tesla leases would be third party leasing. Tesla does not have a captive finance company. Its just whether the third party is endorsed by tesla or not. You want to lease it, but since tesla does not have a captive financial arm, its basically going to end up costing you about the same as if you bought it and sold in 3 years.

Doesnt make any sense for them to lease model 3 until they cant move the ones they are selling, because of the fact they dont have a captive finance company.

All tesla leases would be third party leasing. Tesla does not have a captive finance company. Its just whether the third party is endorsed by tesla or not. You want to lease it, but since tesla does not have a captive financial arm, its basically going to end up costing you about the same as if you bought it and sold in 3 years.

Doesnt make any sense for them to lease model 3 until they cant move the ones they are selling, because of the fact they dont have a captive finance company.

Right, I meant a non-endorsed financing company is what I want to avoid. Whether it’s captive or affiliated is inconsequential to me, really.

My thought process being that, with an “established” firm, I won’t run into any servicability issues.

I bring this up because many moons ago, I worked for a company that provided a Ford as a company vehicle. They leased it through a third party that had no relationship with Ford, and it was a bit of a nightmare whenever it needed service. (It was a Ford, after all. Service was common.)

As the third party company was listed as the vehicle’s owner, they had to authorize even warranty work. Finding someone to contact there was a mess. Hours on hold, faxing papers around, etc.

It just didn’t make for a seamless experience, and one I don’t wish to repeat.

Right, I meant a non-endorsed financing company is what I want to avoid. Whether it’s captive or affiliated is inconsequential to me, really.

My thought process being that, with an “established” firm, I won’t run into any servicability issues.

I bring this up because many moons ago, I worked for a company that provided a Ford as a company vehicle. They leased it through a third party that had no relationship with Ford, and it was a bit of a nightmare whenever it needed service. (It was a Ford, after all. Service was common.)

As the third party company was listed as the vehicle’s owner, they had to authorize even warranty work. Finding someone to contact there was a mess. Hours on hold, faxing papers around, etc.

It just didn’t make for a seamless experience, and one I don’t wish to repeat.

Whether its a captive finance arm actually SHOULD matter to you, not for service, but for actual pricing. If its not a captive finance arm, the residual values will be set to be close to what they actually expect them to be, rather than "subsidized" to move cars. An example of this can be found in BMW (which I am very familiar with, as I used to be one of the main people providing lease deal help on what used to be one of the biggest BMW blog / sites). Up to this year, BMW 3 series ( the one most people are familiar with) had residuals set by BMW anywhere from 60% to 64%. The ACTUAL value of the car is worth much closer to 51-53% on lease turn in.

Two questions are normally asked:

1. What does this mean?

It means that, the higher the residual value on a stated deal by the company leasing it, the less of the car you are actually paying for when you lease (rent) it. If the RV is set to 50%, then it means you are paying for 50% of the car during your lease. If the residual is set to 65%, then you are paying for 35% of the car during your lease period. Obviously, paying for less of the car during the lease term means lower payments, so residual absolutely matters to someone leasing.

2. Why would BMW set the residual so high on a lease relative to its actual value?

Because of a few things.

One, they own the finance company. Because they own the finance company, they can set the rates however they want without paying a separate company.

Two, they control the MSRP and the price they sell to dealers, AND control how many cars dealers have to buy from them. They can force dealers to buy the cars (so they sell all of them).

Third, having the RV be so high means they can move expensive cars "down market" to people who might not be able to afford them.

Fourth, Having the RV significantly higher than actual value when the car comes back, means that its almost impossible for the person leasing the car to actually buy it. Buying YOUR lease car if you like it would cost several thousand more than buying the exact same car off some dealers lot (for most 3 series, its like 7-10k upside down). Since you cant really buy your own leased car when it comes time to turn it in, you have to turn it in, putting you back in the market for buying a car... for BMW, hopefully another BMW (moving more cars). This also has the side effect of providing the used car dealership with lots of nice used cars they can sell (because they have to keep most of the cars brought in, the dealer cant just give them back to the bank.. per BMW rules).

Leasing works this way for almost every car dealership, but not tesla because they dont have a dealer network and they dont have a captive finance arm. Model S and X leases were pretty bad, even though they were subsidized by tesla. They HAD to, to get people to consider them. No one wants to buy something new long term like a car ( especially in that price range), from a new car company. Tesla HAD to lease those cars to get people to try them.

Much less incentive now that people now know the company. They will lease them when they need to move cars (when demand softens enough that they have issues moving the cars they make). Now, when is that, I dont know. Could be now.

But, even when they lease them, they have no incentive to heavily subsidize them so the leases wont be good, or at least what someone who is familiar with leasing would consider good. Since they dont have the captive finance arm, they cant make money on the financing (like for example BMW can).

They dont want the cars back for a dealer network, because it costs them money to have to try to sell them, and they have issues with that (selling and storing cars). They would likely just auction most of them off.. so right now its all cost on the car on the way back.

Most people want leasing because they want a lower payment, and its my opinion that when they finally turn on leasing for model 3, whenever that is, the leases are going to work out to be very similar in pricing as if you were buying it, monthly payment wise, and one will lose the same amount of money leasing it for 3 years and turning it in, as they would with buying it and selling it in 3 years.

Leasing still pays the depreciation, its just built into the program (by setting the residual).

TL ; DR version. My opinion is, it will come when they need to move additional cars, but whenever it does come, anyone who is familiar with leasing will find that it makes little sense to lease a model 3 as the math wont shake out. Due to the way tesla operates, they wont be able to offer truly compelling leasing on model 3 and wont want to because they have no reason to.

Whether its a captive finance arm actually SHOULD matter to you, not for service, but for actual pricing. If its not a captive finance arm, the residual values will be set to be close to what they actually expect them to be, rather than "subsidized" to move cars. An example of this can be found in BMW (which I am very familiar with, as I used to be one of the main people providing lease deal help on what used to be one of the biggest BMW blog / sites). Up to this year, BMW 3 series ( the one most people are familiar with) had residuals set by BMW anywhere from 60% to 64%. The ACTUAL value of the car is worth much closer to 51-53% on lease turn in.

I agree with everything you wrote, but my situation is a little different than that ... let me explain.

First and foremost, let me just say, I’m not a BMW fan. Never have been, never will be. I don’t care for their vehicles, and I think their leasing program hasn’t done the rest of the industry any favors. It skews the residuals in a way that creates false expectations outside of their little sphere. So, that said ...

My current lease has a much more realistic residual. While it’s still via a captive (GM Financial), the 39 month residual on my Cadillac is at 53%. That’s within the realm of reality.

In fact, with 6 months to go, my buyout price is almost exactly the same as the trade in value (via Carvana/Vroom/etc). Either I come out ahead a few dollars or behind a few dollars, depending on who’s doing the trade. I expect that tradein value to trend down over the next 6 months, commensurate with my lease end.

That said - there is a value to me in getting out now; namely, avoiding replacing the tires and the lease turnin fee from GMF ($695!) if I don’t lease another GM.

So ...

Where I’m going with this is twofold:
A) I’m used to, and ok with, more realistic residuals, if it’s the vehicle I want. That’s not a shocker for me. A 51-53% residual is what I’d expect .... and there’s a part of me that expects the residual on a Model 3 to be a little bit better than that due to the nature of EVs. But we shall see.

B) My company offsets a large chunk of my vehicle cost as I do use the vehicle primarily for business. Because of this, refreshing the vehicle every 2-3 years is important to me. There’s a net value to me in driving a late-model vehicle and not owning the vehicle at any point; letting it be the lessor’s worry.

So yes — you are 100% right in everything you stated ... but given the situation I’m in currently, a leased Model 3 - even if it offers no real monthly payment savings relative to a purchase - is what I’m after.

I agree with everything you wrote, but my situation is a little different than that ... let me explain.

First and foremost, let me just say, I’m not a BMW fan. Never have been, never will be. I don’t care for their vehicles, and I think their leasing program hasn’t done the rest of the industry any favors. It skews the residuals in a way that creates false expectations outside of their little sphere. So, that said ...

My current lease has a much more realistic residual. While it’s still via a captive (GM Financial), the 39 month residual on my Cadillac is at 53%. That’s within the realm of reality.

In fact, with 6 months to go, my buyout price is almost exactly the same as the trade in value (via Carvana/Vroom/etc). Either I come out ahead a few dollars or behind a few dollars, depending on who’s doing the trade. I expect that tradein value to trend down over the next 6 months, commensurate with my lease end.

That said - there is a value to me in getting out now; namely, avoiding replacing the tires and the lease turnin fee from GMF ($695!) if I don’t lease another GM.

So ...

Where I’m going with this is twofold:
A) I’m used to, and ok with, more realistic residuals, if it’s the vehicle I want. That’s not a shocker for me. A 51-53% residual is what I’d expect .... and there’s a part of me that expects the residual on a Model 3 to be a little bit better than that due to the nature of EVs. But we shall see.

B) My company offsets a large chunk of my vehicle cost as I do use the vehicle primarily for business. Because of this, refreshing the vehicle every 2-3 years is important to me. There’s a net value to me in driving a late-model vehicle and not owning the vehicle at any point; letting it be the lessor’s worry.

So yes — you are 100% right in everything you stated ... but given the situation I’m in currently, a leased Model 3 - even if it offers no real monthly payment savings relative to a purchase - is what I’m after.

Makes 100% perfect sense. I happen to really like german cars, and BMWs specifically, but would never own a Caddy. Doesnt surprise me that someone who likes Caddy styling doesnt like BMWs and vis versa. Choice is good! FWIW BMW has pulled back on their leasing program a bit (still heavily subsidized but not 64% on a 3 series, now more like 60-61%, and less incentives, etc).

In your case, especially with the business use, leasing makes 100% sense no matter the residuals lol.

Reactions: dmurphy
Good info here re:leases and how they work. I think the residual value on the Model 3 is high enough that it wouldn't make much sense to lease over a traditional term, especially with the tax credits here in CO. Very high level math for me looks like this - car is roughly $41k before tax credits which will net me back close to $9k next year, so my overly simplified basis in the car is $32k. If the residual is 60% after 3 years which I think is reasonable for this car, that's $24.6k. I'm essentially paying around $7.4k to own the car for 3 years which is roughly $205/month. That ignores a bunch of factors like money factor/interest cost and is a simple example, but even if you turn down the residual to 50% it's only going to be about $319/month to own. If you include everything like reduced maintenance costs, fuel savings, etc. this car will be very cheap to own barring anything really crazy happening between now and 3 years. In general, cars with strong residual do not lease well - Porsche, Toyota 4x4, Jeep Wrangler, etc. and cars that depreciate like a rock and need to be subsidized by the manufacturer lease much better from the lessee standpoint - Audi, BMW, MB, etc.

Makes 100% perfect sense. I happen to really like german cars, and BMWs specifically, but would never own a Caddy. Doesnt surprise me that someone who likes Caddy styling doesnt like BMWs and vis versa. Choice is good! FWIW BMW has pulled back on their leasing program a bit (still heavily subsidized but not 64% on a 3 series, now more like 60-61%, and less incentives, etc)

So to be honest - Cadillac and BMW are a lot closer to each other than they appear. Styling wise, they're quite different, but actual vehicle performance, features etc - I'd say they're much, much closer to cousins than the looks would make you believe. A few years ago, I'd have given BMW the edge in all categories, but not so sure that's the case anymore. Drive a *modern* Cadillac (i.e. NOT the XTS) and you'll find the handling, braking, and even acceleration very similar. This ain't the boat Grandpa used to drive. :) (My current vehicle is an XT5 Platinum edition - I absolutely love the interior design.)

Choice is indeed good! The world would be a very boring place without it.

So to be honest - Cadillac and BMW are a lot closer to each other than they appear. Styling wise, they're quite different, but actual vehicle performance, features etc - I'd say they're much, much closer to cousins than the looks would make you believe. A few years ago, I'd have given BMW the edge in all categories, but not so sure that's the case anymore. Drive a *modern* Cadillac (i.e. NOT the XTS) and you'll find the handling, braking, and even acceleration very similar. This ain't the boat Grandpa used to drive. :) (My current vehicle is an XT5 Platinum edition - I absolutely love the interior design.)

Choice is indeed good! The world would be a very boring place without it.

Oh I know. Some cadillac's are better than some BMWs. In fact, some modern cadillac's are more "BMW" than modern BMWs... especially handling / steering. I just cant get past the looks. I have to at least like how the car looks if I am buying it new and because I want to (instead of because i need a car), and I dont like how basically any cadillacs look. Anyway, thats a discussion for another thread :)

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Oh I know. Some cadillac's are better than some BMWs. In fact, some modern cadillac's are more "BMW" than modern BMWs... especially handling / steering. I just cant get past the looks. I have to at least like how the car looks if I am buying it new and because I want to (instead of because i need a car), and I dont like how basically any cadillacs look. Anyway, thats a discussion for another thread :)

I drive what’s likely one of the least-performing Cadillacs, the XT5. And ya know what? I love the silly thing. It’s got every feature I could want, and for a midsize SUV, drives like it’s on rails. Quiet and enjoyable to drive.

But I totally get it - the visual is very polarizing - either you love it, or hate it. No middle ground.

Now, to swing this back on track ... since I’m still prospecting. How have you done with the Model 3 interior? It’s not nearly as plush or refined as I’m used to ... but I suspect it’s OK.

What sold you on the Model 3? We come from similar places - opposite cousins, but similar all the same.

I need that leasing “lever” - and I’m ready to do it. Just want to know what makes you LOVE the Model 3? I need to give up a lot for it - everything from heated steering to SiriusXM .... is it worth it?

For me it was, but I was coming from a Loaded 435. The interior is spartan. I covered up the wood with carbon fiber vinyl wrap, and the console with the same. I got used to no engine noise very quickly. I dont need heated steering wheels here where I am (although my wifes new X3 M40 has that, and everything else thats offered on that car basically).

What I love about it, frankly, is it drives phenomenally. Like really really good. I like "sporty" cars and I have never driven a car that was this fast (I have the performance model), that is also completely happy commuting back and forth to work and in traffic.

My 435 was a lease (and I had 2 leased bmws in my garage for the last 9 ish years) . I couldnt keep it, which I knew (but investigated anyway, because BMW used to let you negotiate on that lease buy out, but they shut that down). I am exceedingly happy with this car, but thats coming from wanting "sporty" cars (or at least cars that drive sporty).

I also love that I get all this performance for less than 1/2 of what it cost me to in "fuel" . I already had solar, have a house, etc. I would never buy one of these myself without home charging, but some do. Never having to go to the gas station, starting each day with a full tank, a killer sound system for a stock car, and the interior is easy to get used to.. easier than I thought it would be anyway.

For me it was, but I was coming from a Loaded 435. The interior is spartan. I covered up the wood with carbon fiber vinyl wrap, and the console with the same. I got used to no engine noise very quickly. I dont need heated steering wheels here where I am (although my wifes new X3 M40 has that, and everything else thats offered on that car basically).

What I love about it, frankly, is it drives phenomenally. Like really really good. I like "sporty" cars and I have never driven a car that was this fast (I have the performance model), that is also completely happy commuting back and forth to work and in traffic.

My 435 was a lease (and I had 2 leased bmws in my garage for the last 9 ish years) . I couldnt keep it, which I knew (but investigated anyway, because BMW used to let you negotiate on that lease buy out, but they shut that down). I am exceedingly happy with this car, but thats coming from wanting "sporty" cars (or at least cars that drive sporty).

I also love that I get all this performance for less than 1/2 of what it cost me to in "fuel" . I already had solar, have a house, etc. I would never buy one of these myself without home charging, but some do. Never having to go to the gas station, starting each day with a full tank, a killer sound system for a stock car, and the interior is easy to get used to.. easier than I thought it would be anyway.

That sounds like almost an ideal use case!

I’m here in the east coast where ANYTHING heated is appreciated (half the year - then we want it all cooled the other half) - so I’ll miss that.

I like vehicles with some power (like every other red blooded American) but certainly don’t race or anything like that. It’s just a family & work car for me.

So that said - I’ve traded some performance for creature comforts (“only” 310hp, NA in my current XT5) and would likely do the same with the Model 3. The AWD LR model is what I’m thinking.

The issue is making the numbers feasible. Cadillac’s MF is so ridiculously low right now (0.00005) combined with a GM friends & family discount off MSRP, plus hopefully a couple months’ worth of lease pull-ahead incentives .... I’m expecting a pretty solid offer. I’m willing to forego those right now (esp. because I don’t have any of the pullahead offers in hand yet) if Tesla lets me lease but if I end up having to compare these side by side later in the year ... it may be enough to sway me to stay.

Lots and lots of moving parts in the equation - the gas price factors in of course, but it’s not as huge as one would think. (1000 mi/mo / 21mpg avg x 2.49/gal avg price = ~$120/mo for fuel.... not tremendous.)

That sounds like almost an ideal use case!

I’m here in the east coast where ANYTHING heated is appreciated (half the year - then we want it all cooled the other half) - so I’ll miss that.

I like vehicles with some power (like every other red blooded American) but certainly don’t race or anything like that. It’s just a family & work car for me.

So that said - I’ve traded some performance for creature comforts (“only” 310hp, NA in my current XT5) and would likely do the same with the Model 3. The AWD LR model is what I’m thinking.

The issue is making the numbers feasible. Cadillac’s MF is so ridiculously low right now (0.00005) combined with a GM friends & family discount off MSRP, plus hopefully a couple months’ worth of lease pull-ahead incentives .... I’m expecting a pretty solid offer. I’m willing to forego those right now (esp. because I don’t have any of the pullahead offers in hand yet) if Tesla lets me lease but if I end up having to compare these side by side later in the year ... it may be enough to sway me to stay.

Lots and lots of moving parts in the equation - the gas price factors in of course, but it’s not as huge as one would think. (1000 mi/mo / 21mpg avg x 2.49/gal avg price = ~$120/mo for fuel.... not tremendous.)

Gas here is $3.40 - 3.70 a gallon, for premium. Of course, electricity (unless you have solar) is like .25-.39 a kW. I have leased solar and its .16 and it feels like a steal... until I read about rates elsewhere.

Gas here is $3.40 - 3.70 a gallon, for premium. Of course, electricity (unless you have solar) is like .25-.39 a kW. I have leased solar and its .16 and it feels like a steal... until I read about rates elsewhere.

Wow ... as much as I complain about NJ, those rates are stratospheric!

Gas is $2.49 or so for regular (Caddy doesn’t need premium.)

Electricity is $0.12 kWh fully loaded.

Off topic but yes that year round good weather costs us dearly, lol

Worth it. It’s essentially a wash at the end of the day - property values in CA are crazy but the taxes aren’t so bad. Our property values are high for anywhere BUT CA and our taxes are astronomical. I have a 2000 sq ft ranch; valued about $600k +/- but the taxes are about $14k per year.

Plus the income tax and sales tax and water tax (yes that’s a thing now) and tax tax tax tax tax. Out of control!

Anyway, we’re waaaaaaay off topic, so to bring it back ... someone call Elon and tell him I’ll sign that lease tomorrow. :)