Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing PPF or No PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be curious to know what Tesla charges for rock chips on the front end. We had 4 chips after 3k miles. They filled them while doing the PPF but I would hate to know how many chips we would have after 40k miles. We were quoted $2k for front protection and lower sides. It was $5300 for the full matte PPF (what we went with) but that covers literally everything. Do you know what Tesla’s rules are at end of lease for what they consider above normal wear and tear?

I would be curious to know what Tesla charges for rock chips on the front end. We had 4 chips after 3k miles. They filled them while doing the PPF but I would hate to know how many chips we would have after 40k miles. We were quoted $2k for front protection and lower sides. It was $5300 for the full matte PPF (what we went with) but that covers literally everything. Do you know what Tesla’s rules are at end of lease for what they consider above normal wear and tear?

So then the question would be "for sure spend a minimum of 2k now, or possibly 5300, or POSSIBLY spend up to that amount later"... right? Assuming damage not covered on the vehicle, that is.

Reactions: FamilyT3sla
Complete PPF covering a leased car? Absolutely not, unless you have cash laying around that you need to burn, or you're leasing a high dollar car and plan on driving it through a sand storm every day.

Partial PPF in certain areas? Yes, I would seriously consider it but it may not be needed.

This all depends on your area (road conditions, weather), how much you drive the car, and your lease terms when it comes to acceptable damage allowed from driving over the term of the lease.

Every car I've leased in the past has been a daily commuter car in LA traffic, and it would still get some dings & nicks from road debris on front bumper & hood. However, it was acceptable to return the car with small dings on it from normal wear & tear over time, as long a they were under a certain size. Even then, I would still touch them up those areas with paint so you couldn't see it at all.... not to hide it from the return inspection but because I'm a clean-freak with my cars and I didn't want to drive around in a dinged up looking car. So while PPF would have helped in those situations, it wasn't needed and in most cases may not be needed.

Just something to consider.

Here is what they provide
Excess Wear and Use Guide  Tesla.png

Reactions: retbesla and SDM44
Here is what they provide

View attachment 669611

Good info here with what Tesla expects on their leased cars with normal wear & tear over time.

In this case, I would just keep the car clean (washing it) and have a bottle of touch-up paint in case I did get a ding or rock chip. I wouldn't care that much with rock chips on a leased car, but I still care about the look of my car and would fix or cover up any chips. However, that's just my personal preference & experience with leasing cars over the years, as others may take a different approach.

I am leasing also and would never do ppf on a car I am not keeping. It would be cheaper to get a detailer to fix any chips before turning it in. I have never had a problem with any lease after turn in as far as minor chips and scratches.

May I ask, how many miles do you drive every year? Leasing in general are limited to 10k miles or 15k miles.

Actually, leasing is not "limited" to any number of miles. In most leases, you pre pay for a certain number of miles a year, usually 10k, 12k or 15k miles a year. You are not "limited" to any number of miles, you just pre pay for that amount of miles in your monthly lease payment. If, at the end of the lease, you have more miles on the car than pre paid, you then pay for those miles at lease turn in, at whatever the contracted rate is.

That contracted rate is normally somewhere between 15 and 30 cents a mile (for most leases, unless the car is an exotic one). Thats not a "penalty" for going over the miles, it is paying for the additional depreciation you have put on the car by driving the additional miles. In fact, most times, that charge of 15 - 30 cents a mile is cheaper than it would have cost the person in depreciation had they owned the vehicle.

So a person leasing can put as many miles on the car as they want to, they just have to pay for the extra depreciation if they go over the contracted miles. That doesnt mean they are limited, or punished if they go over or anything. It just means they dont get those miles for free, just like a person owning the car doesnt get them for free.

People just dont like pay for miles and then turn in the car, even though they drove them. if you buy the car, you still have the same depreciation, but you dont realize it (it doesnt impact you) unless or until you sell the car.

Reactions: retbesla