Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving car while charging in public places of NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the public part can be disconnected, however, the adapter is locked (if the car is locked). I was also worried, so I bought this:

CapturePro J1772 Lock
CapturePro Charging Lock for Tesla Model 3
This collar locks the public end to your adapter and cannot be removed unless you unlock the car, or use a strong cutting device.

I believe he's referring to using the UMC on a 14-50, not a public charger with the j1772 adapter.

I believe he's referring to using the UMC on a 14-50, not a public charger with the j1772 adapter.
Oops, you are correct.

So, basically it is not secure. This adapter cost about $59-79, not huge, but not too cheap to lose it too often...
The CapturePro is for J1772 plug for a public charger like Chargepoint, it is NOT for a Tesla UMC adapter. I misread your OP.

I am talking about using UMC with NEMA 14-50 outlets.
I don't know of a way to secure a UMC adapter. The main device/cord would be locked to the car, but the pigtail adapter could be stolen.

Is it dangerous? Can somebody disconnect NEMA 14-50 adapter from the cable while other end of the cable plugged in the charging port?

Unplugging a UMC gen 1 with 40 amps of load or a UMC gen 2 with 32 amps of load would likely result in a decent size arc. It would not be good for the plug or receptacle. I am not sure how dangerous that size of arc would be at 208v / 240v, but it would not be great.

Have you ever unplugged even a 120v plug from say a dryer while it was running? This would be a much bigger arc than that.

But to answer your question, I would not be too worried about charging in public off a 14-50 unless it was a high traffic / high crime area. As others have mentioned, the UMC is locked into the car by its connector. People could always steal the $35 Tesla adapter, but then again, the meth heads can also cut the wire at the car end and strip the copper from the wire to sell...

Unplugging a UMC gen 1 with 40 amps of load or a UMC gen 2 with 32 amps of load would likely result in a decent size arc. It would not be good for the plug or receptacle. I am not sure how dangerous that size of arc would be at 208v / 240v, but it would not be great.

Have you ever unplugged even a 120v plug from say a dryer while it was running? This would be a much bigger arc than that.

But to answer your question, I would not be too worried about charging in public off a 14-50 unless it was a high traffic / high crime area. As others have mentioned, the UMC is locked into the car by its connector. People could always steal the $35 Tesla adapter, but then again, the meth heads can also cut the wire at the car end and strip the copper from the wire to sell...
I asked my question wrong. It should be "Is it secure...". I am myself electrical engineer by education, and played with an arc when I was a 13-14 years old at home (in my country voltage was 220V, I limit the current to about 5A including iron or other powerful device in a circuit).

Reactions: eprosenx