Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving for extended period...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disable any third party logging apps (Teslafi, etc.).

Charge it up to a high SoC before you drop it off.

Resist the urge to log into the app every 2 hours to check SoC and obsess about vampire drain (keeps the car from sleeping).

Don’t worry.

Leaving the battery at high SOC isn’t great for the battery. I would not charge it over 80%. Some believe even lower would be better.

Daily is one thing. Leaving it that high for weeks with out using it, isn’t great for the battery.

If it was plugged in most would recommend 70%.

The whole point is it’s going to not be plugged in, and will vampire drain below 90% in a matter of days.

Sitting near 90% is no big deal and there’s no evidence to suggest it is.

The whole point is it’s going to not be plugged in, and will vampire drain below 90% in a matter of days.

Sitting near 90% is no big deal and there’s no evidence to suggest it is.

Well my car sat for almost 4 days and only lost 2 miles.

It could easily sit at above 80% for a week. I wouldn’t subject my battery to that. OP can make there own decision.

The goal, in the long run, is to AVERAGE your SOC charge around 70% over the long haul. If you drive 100 miles a day 90% SOC daily is fine and makes perfect sense. If you drive 10 miles a day it’s keeping your battery too high to often charging to 90%. If you drive ZERO miles per day (like here, storage for 2.5 weeks), then 90% is a bad idea. Storage is the opposite end of the “trip” spectrum. And your advice is to charge it for a trip.

Note, the UI indicates 90-100% SOC should considered for “trips”. I guess you could call storage for 2.5 weeks a trip to no where.

Now if there was a high risk of the battery dropping below say 20% I’d agree. But the battery should only drop less than 30% over 2.5 weeks.

Daily is one thing. Leaving it that high for weeks with out using it, isn’t great for the battery.

If it was plugged in most would recommend 70%.
I was assuming it was at the body shop and wouldn't be plugged in, or not dependably plugged in. If not plugged in, it won't stay 90% for very long, and you don't want it running down to zero.

If it runs from 90% to 0% in 2.5 weeks, with everything off, you’ve got major problems.

It should average 1-2% a day.
My experience with body shops is that they don't just leave it parked for two weeks and then work on it for 3 days. They do a bit each day or two as the parts come in and/or staff is available. So they'll be opening the doors and moving it, which means it won't go into deep sleep. I'd count on minimum five miles per day.

My experience with body shops is that they don't just leave it parked for two weeks and then work on it for 3 days. They do a bit each day or two as the parts come in and/or staff is available. So they'll be opening the doors and moving it, which means it won't go into deep sleep. I'd count on minimum five miles per day.

5 miles per day is 1.5% per day, that would be a week above 80%.

He could charge to 100% or 50% for this one situation and probably not have anything significant happen long term. But OP asked for what’s the best practice.

Leaving it high to long is just as bad as letting it get to low.

Agreed but that's not what's going to happen in this case, and 90% isn't high. If it was, it wouldn't be in the daily range.

We can argue if 90% is in trip or daily. Trip isn’t 100% only is it, of course not. So what is the the “range” to use for trips? It’s 90 to 100. And for that matter 100% isn't recommended at all, unless you really need that range and immediately use it. For “normal” trips you should use 90%. Some super chargers now limit you to 80%.

90% SOC is high. At least it is in my book.

My AWD still shows limited regen due to high SOC in the middle of summer at anything above 80% SOC.

Last edited:
What about two months on an extended vacation? What should I do with my X?

Plug it in and set the slider to somewhere around 50-70%.

We can argue if 90% is in trip or daily. Trip isn’t 100% only is it, of course not. So what is the the “range” to use for trips? It’s 90 to 100. And for that matter 100% isn't recommended at all, unless you really need that range and immediately use it. For “normal” trips you should use 90%. Some super chargers now limit you to 80%.

90% SOC is high. At least it is in my book.

My AWD still shows limited regen due to high SOC in the middle of summer at anything above 80% SOC.

You’re making a whole lot of assumptions that don’t really pan out.

Superchargers are limiting charge to 80% for throughput at busy stations, not because it’s bad for the battery to charge higher.

Lithium battery longevity as related to SoC is not linear. 90% is not 90% as bad as 100%.

“100% isn’t recommended at all” is just silly. If you need the range, or even think you might, charge it up. There is no recommendation against this whatsoever.

Reactions: TexasEV
I think you need to ignore all of the above suggestions and leave your car with me. I will be glad to test it out on our new 200 mph test track in the desert :D
Actually, a lot of good suggestions above. And you notice how quickly a new thread can digress into disputes about what is right and wrong :)

When my ms was in a body shop for nearly 3 weeks, I turned off all vampire drain contributors mentioned here, charged to 80%, set AC/heat off, and woke up vehicle only twice. SoC was about 35% when picking up vehicle, undoubtedly due to frequent servicing wake-ups. Passing a SuC on ride home, I charged to 85% and garaged it that evening near 75%.

Months later, I reluctantly left ms in a 40 degree parking garage for 4-5 weeks using same procedure. Since there were very few wake-ups while sitting idle, SoC was about 40% when leaving garage.

While not ideal, I dont think there was significant damage to my battery.