Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving MY 2021 for 6 weeks at 90% battery at car port (Not charging)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not. It's all conjecture based on indirect evidence but as people said before, the cold affects the efficiency of the battery but doesn't actually use any energy from it. The only thing that would require extra energy is if the car needed to heat it to prevent the electrolyte or coolant from freezing. I've seen different posts on this but nothing with any definitive information from Tesla.
yeah there is no definitive information, they have mentioned to keep it plugged in when parked, but what actually happens when we don't leave it plugged in for long time?

And I think leaving it charged to 90% for long time may cause battery issues, had I known the charge won't drop much, I would have left at 40-50%

Last edited:
yeah there is no definitive information, they have mentioned to keep it plugged in when parked, but what actually happens when we don't leave it plugged in for long time?

And I think leaving it charged to 90% for long time may cause battery issues, had I known the charge won't drop much, I would have left at 40-50%

I too have to leave my Model 3 for 6 weeks in an unheated garage with no access to a charger (no electric outlet accessible). I am in northern Vermont, so I am hoping there will be enough charge left in the battery to get me to my usual Level II charger, about 400 feet away, upon return. Otherwise I'll need to have my first experience with Roadside Assistance.

I too have to leave my Model 3 for 6 weeks in an unheated garage with no access to a charger (no electric outlet accessible). I am in northern Vermont, so I am hoping there will be enough charge left in the battery to get me to my usual Level II charger, about 400 feet away, upon return. Otherwise I'll need to have my first experience with Roadside Assistance.
The Tesla Model Y will be fine. Just leave it with 70% to 80% state of charge if possible, turn off Sentry Mode and Summon (if equipped with FSD.) The Tesla Model Y will lose just 1% to 2 % of the battery state of charge per week if you turn off Sentry Mode and Summon.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Update: Returned home and all I had to do is defrost and pre heat from the App and Drive! It had 80% battery and no drop in tire pressure! Since I turned off Sentry, I placed a wyze outdoor cam that was monitoring the car all these days, it had 75% battery left when I returned, it was actively monitoring and recording events, with cam plus the recordings were much longer during an event and felt safe!

Leaving my Model Y 2021 in cold weather (Seattle) parked in car port for 6 weeks, battery was at 90% 3 weeks back and no access to charging. Is it safe to leave it like that in cold weather (Seattle is going to experience the coldest weather in a decade, around 12F), charging dropped 2% in a week, haven't checked the app in about 2 weeks now. I need to stay away for another 3 weeks.
Why would you not check your app in two weeks? It's literally an icon on your phone...