Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving new M3P in garage while on cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going on a cruise in April and wont be getting our new M3P until the 17th! (Ordered in January). Without owning for a while curious opinions on letting the car sit in the parking garage for 7 days not plugged in. I know turning of the climate and sentry mode would be a must and not checking the app all the time. Would charge it up before we park of course. I have looked on plug share and doesn’t look like any chargers in the parking garages in Port Canaveral. Any tips appreciated!

If you leave sentry mode on the car will always be awake so no harm done in checking.

Without sentry mode car should maybe lose 0.5% per day.
With sentry mode on you lose around 5-8%/day.

We are in our 30s not our 70s! Also the cruise is still 40 days away and can cancel without penalty. We will see what the state of the world is in a few weeks! Thank you for the replies!

So you guys won’t die...but you can still spread the disease. I would have assume the cruise line would have already canceled the cruise. Seems they are well behind most airlines.

Going on a cruise in April and wont be getting our new M3P until the 17th! (Ordered in January). Without owning for a while curious opinions on letting the car sit in the parking garage for 7 days not plugged in.
[...]
We are in our 30s

7 days?
Add +7 days for no-one allowing ship to dock and disembark.
Add +14 days for the quarantine.

I would plan to bring enough underwear and reading materials for 30+ days.

Other than that, your car (~1% daily charge drop) and you (0.2% death rate for your age group) will likely be just fine.
Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

I wanted to cancel a flight that I was booked on.
Fear of Corona virus not a valid reason.
Then I read the fine print on my travel insurance.
Does NOT cover pandemics/

So why buy insurance?
PEACE OF MIND!

"You may be robbed again, and you won't have any insurance." "What's the use of having insurance if you can't collect?" she asks. "Peace of mind," the adjuster says.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Been on 22 Cruises, but as of right now, I would wait until this issue with this virus is all over. Cruise staff are always traveling back home as they represent over 88 countries.

Cancel your cruise and play it safe. Enjoy a car ride where you can test the range and use the Superchargers as you go. Just stay away from area with large amounts of people.

Turn off “Keep Climate On”, Overheat Protection, Sentry, Dashcam, Summon, Data Sharing and turn off any stat apps like Teslafi, route planners that might be connected and polls the car.

Write down what you left off with in Miles & Percentage and then write down what you have left when you get back Do not wake the car up by checking on it via the App..

This works best Just in case you are away for 21 days. 7 day cruise plus the 14 day under quarantine.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: eevee-fan
I was recently out of town for 5 days on a trip, so I loaned my LR RWD Model 3 to my cousin that’s a huge Tesla fan. I made him extremely happy to get the chance to do a long “test drive” in a Tesla, which furthered his desire for his next vehicle to be a Tesla. I’ll do something similar with other family/friends for future trips that are not road trips in the Model 3 to make future converts to driving an EV.

And as to the general sentiment of the thread, I agree that I’d likely avoid a cruise right now. I haven’t been on one yet, and the risk of quarantine doesn’t sound like fun.

Reactions: JøhP and Wennfred
Wow, I was not aware of how popular Teslas were with old wash women. We're looking forward to our Disney Cruise out of Cape Canaveral on July 1st. Too bad about the lack of chargers though - but thanks for the heads up. We're going to drive down from GA so I'll just super charge it before we board.

• Disagree
Reactions: jfinephilly