Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy usage while parked [with sentry mode on]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

Wondering how normal this is. I left my car parked at my house with sentry mode on, (car is in the driveway not in my garage) dropped the charge cap to 70% and left it plugged in. I just checked for the hell of it and it says, added 12kw during last charging session and 10kw today. 10-12kw while parked!? Seems excessive for sentry mode and no climate overheat.

My house doesn't use that much energy on a daily basis...

Hi folks,

Wondering how normal this is. I left my car parked at my house with sentry mode on, (car is in the driveway not in my garage) dropped the charge cap to 70% and left it plugged in. I just checked for the hell of it and it says, added 12kw during last charging session and 10kw today. 10-12kw while parked!? Seems excessive for sentry mode and no climate overheat.

Sentry mode uses 15-25 ish miles of range a day.

Here is a recent thread with discussion of sentry mode and power usage:

Sentry mode uses 15-25 ish miles of range a day.

Here is a recent thread with discussion of sentry mode and power usage:

Thanks!! Unreal how much energy it uses to run sentry mode.

Reactions: Falcon73
Thanks!! Unreal how much energy it uses to run sentry mode.
Most of that is overhead loss from needing to keep the DC-to DC converter active. The system together with computer, draws about 200-300W. That's why for those of us that do long term recording of parking, we look to third party solutions (dashcams or other security cameras) which take literally an order of magnitude less power. Currently I'm running 4 Wyze cameras with a travel router for internet and it only draws about 7W total. Most dashcams draw well under 10W (many have parking modes nowadays that may draw even less).

I only use Sentry when I'm not parking very long (like an hour or two).

Reactions: PVia
Most of that is overhead loss from needing to keep the DC-to DC converter active. The system together with computer, draws about 200-300W. That's why for those of us that do long term recording of parking, we look to third party solutions (dashcams or other security cameras) which take literally an order of magnitude less power. Currently I'm running 4 Wyze cameras with a travel router for internet and it only draws about 7W total. Most dashcams draw well under 10W (many have parking modes nowadays that may draw even less).

I only use Sentry when I'm not parking very long (like an hour or two).
Seems that a lot of energy is wasted and potential software optimization could save at least 50, possibly up to 80% with Sentry on,
first, the 8 cameras and CPU cannot draw more than 50W total, impossible, CPU for sure is not utilized 100%.
DC-DC converter needs to turn on only if the LV battery needs some recharge, and mostly it's not needed mora than once a day.

Hope the guys in Tesla will finally do something with it, it's a shame.

Seems that a lot of energy is wasted and potential software optimization could save at least 50, possibly up to 80% with Sentry on,
first, the 8 cameras and CPU cannot draw more than 50W total, impossible, CPU for sure is not utilized 100%.
DC-DC converter needs to turn on only if the LV battery needs some recharge, and mostly it's not needed mora than once a day.

Hope the guys in Tesla will finally do something with it, it's a shame.
It already charges once per day (or more) with nothing running. There is no way that it would only charge that little if Sentry was running. This is low priority for Tesla, given having Sentry run with car asleep wears down the LV battery faster (which they so far replace under warranty), so they would rather keep the DC-DC converter on.

It already charges once per day (or more) with nothing running. There is no way that it would only charge that little if Sentry was running. This is low priority for Tesla, given having Sentry run with car asleep wears down the LV battery faster (which they so far replace under warranty), so they would rather keep the DC-DC converter on.
Interesting, the LV battery charging should be done only if the capacity goes under 40
or less percent, since it's a li-Ion one. Probably, the main reason is that they installed a tiny LV battery (99Wh, as I saw somewhere), which is a shame.

Seems that the basic problem is that there is no intermediate mode between sleep (probably around 25W) and fully on, ready to drive (probably around 400W). So anything that cannot be done in sleep mode needs to turn the car fully on and consume a lot more energy than just that function requires.

Hi folks,

do you have cabin overheat protection on by chance? How long a timeframe are you referencing here?