Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Left front fender camera blocked or blinded"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All, I'm looking for some guidance on this. I keep getting the above message on screen and I completely get that in Canada, in the winter, the spray on the roads can be bad and I can see how some of the cameras/sensors can get blocked. I only ever seem to block or blind the left side however, never the right which is the side that you would expect to be more exposed to dirt on the sides of the road. On top of that, I'm still getting the message sporadically even though the roads are clean and dry and the camera seems to be pretty clear when I check it. I get his message every time I drive any distance. The dealership has told me that there is nothing wrong with the camera and that it is a common problem so live with it. Is that true? I find that pretty hard to believe or swallow. What experiences do you all have with this?

All, I'm looking for some guidance on this. I keep getting the above message on screen and I completely get that in Canada, in the winter, the spray on the roads can be bad and I can see how some of the cameras/sensors can get blocked. I only ever seem to block or blind the left side however, never the right which is the side that you would expect to be more exposed to dirt on the sides of the road. On top of that, I'm still getting the message sporadically even though the roads are clean and dry and the camera seems to be pretty clear when I check it. I get his message every time I drive any distance. The dealership has told me that there is nothing wrong with the camera and that it is a common problem so live with it. Is that true? I find that pretty hard to believe or swallow. What experiences do you all have with this?

temperature changes from cold to warm and in reverse cause condensation.
When you drive, are you heading west so that the right side of the car is in the shade or east, where some condensation could cause flaring when the sun hits it?

Have the same problem occasionally. I live in upstate NY so similar climate. Also have door pillar camera problems sometimes. there I can definitely see condensation under the protective window that covers the camera. These cameras are also sometimes blinded by the sun if it is low in the sky.

I 100% have this happen with the sun at the right angles.

also have had this happen after snow

and if there’s excess dirt/moisture on the car.

I wipe the lenses occasionally. (Doesn’t help for sun)

If this is happening other times, try and keep track of what’s going on around you and then book a service if it seems to be a real problem.

IMHO - the 'Blocked or Blinded' message is misleading wording. More often than not it really means 'Camera cannot interpret the image'. There is nothing wrong with the camera, it is not blocked or blinded, simply what it is seeing does not have sufficient informaiton for the software to make sense of the surroundings. I get this a great deal with the Left pillar camera. Where I live out of town most roads have soft vegetation on the verges which is uncut and often flopped over the hard surface, there are no street lights, no road markings at the sides of the road (or where there are they are often so dirty as to be invisible). I get many less Right camera warnings because there is a white line on most road centres which is kept clean by traffic and hence something the software can 'see'.

I have not yet driven with snow covered roads but I am sure the same will occur and it will be interesting if this is then equally Left and Right.

What Tesla should have is a switch to turn this distracting warning off (or make it less frequent).

Reactions: bargrens@gmail
In this winter, even in dry conditions , i basically accept that any of the camera are "blinded" from 25-75% of the time. Has not yet impeded AP functions.

AP functions sometimes impeded in very strong rain or snow.

I was getting the same message for one of my pillar cameras recently. Tesla checked it out at no cost to me. They told me they found a transparent film still on the lens from its manufacture/assembly. My guess is I didn't see the message until recently because the film started to deteriorate from UV light and become more opaque, but I could be totally wrong. I haven't seen that message since... but now I am getting it for the left front fender camera. So I'm having them check if that one has the same thing. It could be tricks of the sun, etc. discussed in this thread I suppose. I'll see.

The has been discussed many times here .. if this message pops up at night on a non-lit road, that's perfectly normal (or when a camera is blinded by sunlight, which is less frequent). Basically the car cannot "see" anything, and it doesnt (and cannot) know if this a camera error, a covered/obscured camera, or just nothing there to see (at night). Hence the message.

Reactions: fldnstrm
I also got this error message much more often in the past 3 months, even in very light mist. There is a lot of condensation on the camera housing. Not such condensation on the right camera.

Even though the condensation is not on the camera lens, but who knows if there is any water ingress to the camera from behind. Schedule a mobile service to replace it. I have ESA but the replacement cost is under the deductible.

PXL_20230117_145012026.jpg