Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left headlamp out, but comes on quickly when putting fuse back in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! We had a run-in with a deer which pushed the driver's side headlamp back a bit, breaking the top and side mounting point. The headlamp also got a decent crack in it. It was still working though, until a couple days ago when it stopped working. But just tonight, both headlamps were out. I checked the wiring and didn't see anything obvious (e.g. a loose connection or a cut wire). I checked the fuse box and F144 was out, so I pulled F134 (listed as unused) and put it in F144. When I did this, both headlamps came back on, but the driver's side (broken one) stayed on for only a split second. The passenger's side headlamp is working fine (other than the brow, which was already "burned out").

Obviously I'll be getting the headlamp replaced and the other damage from the deer repaired. But this behavior seemed strange, so I wanted to post and see if anyone had any thoughts on how I could extend the life of the headlamp a bit longer. (I'm away from home and there are no service areas nearby.) I also don't want to keep blowing fuses.

Fusebox:
1656726456486.png

NSFW -- the split second when I put the fuse back in F144, both headlamps illuminate fully (sans the brows):

PXL_20220702_005734999.TS_exported_10033.jpg

Video to match:

Damaged headlamp:
PXL_20220609_114806086.jpg

My left headlamp has started acting up about a year and half ago on our 11/13 built S85. I can go up to 8 months without an issue, but every now and again the left headlamp will malfunction and shutoff triggering an alert to the IC and MCU. Last night I was driving home from the Hollywood Bowl and had to switch the headlamps off/on to reset the lights. It also seemed to be malfunctioning about every 8 minutes or so no matter how smooth or bumpy the road was.

I'm unclear if it's just the symptoms of a failing bulb, ballast, grounding point, fuse, or software glitch but I'd like to get this sorted out soon. Anyone have an idea why it seems the left headlamp seems to fail first?

see my post weekend headlamp ! The weak headlamps also shutdown ! And will reset by
switching auto to on !

This one?