Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legislation to Lift Ban on Tesla Sales in Maryland - Hearing on Feb. 19, 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Customer could not have a test drive(had to go to DC or Virginia). Could not discuss price. Could not discuss financing at the "Galleries" in Maryland malls.

Tesla could not register the car,pay the appropriate taxes and such before delivery.

Customer had to pay Tesla direct in CA. Had to arrange transportation to Maryland. Had to go to DMV office to register and pay tax. Now Tesla can do all that at Maryland "Stores." Generally, a PITA non- hardcore Tesla enthusiast won't do. Pushes people to just get a MB or Lexus instead.

I am not sure how true that is!
I test drove a Tesla in MD yesterday, and the reps told me that if I order the car online, the car is dropped to my door step, ready to drive - I DO NOT have to go to DMV.
Yes this is in MD (I live in MD)

I test drove a Tesla in MD yesterday, and the reps told me that if I order the car online, the car is dropped to my door step, ready to drive - I DO NOT have to go to DMV.
My own experience March 2013, as Virginia resident, test drove in DC, ordered in 2012, ordered over Internet. Had to go to Maryland to pickup car in March 2013. Paid there over Internet, they could not accept funds in Maryland and car with temp California registration. Tesla forwarded me required dmv papers to register car in Virginia with a check for the taxes (paid to tesla on purchase of car) required to register and I had to go to DMV. Now procedure very different.

GM,Tesla, and Maryland Dealers were all arguing for not !!! Because the legislation had no meaning!!!

Tesla could sell cars in Maryland just as easily before and after legislation !!!

Customer could not have a test drive(had to go to DC or Virginia). Could not discuss price. Could not discuss financing at the "Galleries" in Maryland malls.

Tesla could not register the car,pay the appropriate taxes and such before delivery.

Customer had to pay Tesla direct in CA. Had to arrange transportation to Maryland. Had to go to DMV office to register and pay tax. Now Tesla can do all that at Maryland "Stores." Generally, a PITA non- hardcore Tesla enthusiast won't do. Pushes people to just get a MB or Lexus instead.

I thought you couldn't test drive in VA. Thanks for the post which made me google the stupid ass deal they have of only 1 store in Virginia.

Dj don't move here! Maryland is a land of evils. I can't wait to move out.

Interesting. We just spent a week down there and the area certainly got a passing grade from us. The taxes, if you can believe it, are lower than I pay here in NH - NH depends on property taxes and comparable houses down there seem to have half the tax burden that my house has. As I work in MA, I have to pay MA state income tax so that's about a wash.. Your meals tax is lower. Your gas prices are lower. The only thing I'd have to get used to is the sales tax. There are public transportation options and now Tesla can open their stores in the state.

I'm curious as to where the 'evil' is..

Interesting. We just spent a week down there and the area certainly got a passing grade from us. The taxes, if you can believe it, are lower than I pay here in NH - NH depends on property taxes and comparable houses down there seem to have half the tax burden that my house has. As I work in MA, I have to pay MA state income tax so that's about a wash.. Your meals tax is lower. Your gas prices are lower. The only thing I'd have to get used to is the sales tax. There are public transportation options and now Tesla can open their stores in the state.

I'm curious as to where the 'evil' is..

As of this summer they just repealed the rain tax. And depending on which county you live in there is a separate tax. Sales tax isn't bad since I am from Maine with their 5%. So depending on where you live houses will be double if not triple the cost of houses in NH. I don't mind it here, but I will be moving from MD the first chance I get. New England is my home.