Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lets talk about lane change assistance and terrible rain sensing wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
or whatever the specific name is. (not inside the car at the moment)
I have mine set to "assist", which states that the car will do something when I veer from one lane to another without first using turn signals.

In various Nissan Rental cars, I find this feature so precise, its annoying. Like 99.9% of the time when its enabled, the steering wheel vibrates and moves the car back into its lane if I veer out of the lane, over the white dotted lines, and about to enter next lane. (assuming no turn signal first)

In my 2017 90D (fully up to date with all current software/firmware), it barely seems to work. Inconsistent at best.

Anyone else have similar results?

Oh yeah...on a separate note..the rain sensing wiper feature is the worst I've ever encountered on a car. Or am I the only one whose wipers (when in rain sensing mode) sometimes stop with the wipers half way, leaving them stopped across my line of vision

Oh yeah...on a separate note..the rain sensing wiper feature is the worst I've ever encountered on a car. Or am I the only one whose wipers (when in rain sensing mode) sometimes stop with the wipers half way, leaving them stopped across my line of vision
While I agree that Tesla's version of rain sensing wipers in every Model S I've owned is the worst version of rain sensing wipers I've used from any manufacturer I have yet to have them stop halfway across the windshield. I think you've got another problem there. Most of my problem is with them not starting at all, not clearing frequently enough and the fastest they go is still about half of the speed actually needed in heavy rain. Pretty embarrassing for such a "technology forward" car to have to sit on the side of the road during a rain storm because hte wipers won't cycle fast enough to be able to see.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
The neural net wiper upgrade seemed bad at first now works well in recent experiences. Driving two days through all sorts of rain I put the stalk selector on the top auto selection, pressed the wipe button once or twice when it did not clear soon enough and from then on it was flawless throughout heavy rain down to mist.

Mine have definitely stopped (not often..but 3 times since end of December) halfway across the glass. I started them back up by manually turning to low/non intermittent mode, then all was well. (relatively speaking).

I've also had all of the issues reported above with them. Not fast enough, not starting automatically. Just seems ironic to me that Tesla is SO far advanced in every other aspect of the car...but for something as basic as rain sensing wipers. They fail..badly. (But yet...we have fart sounds)

Are you talking about lane change avoidance?

If so, it works different than Nissan.
If the car detects you drifting over the lines, it will ever so gently push you back. It is often barely noticeable.

My wipers have been going on and off all day as we go through storm cells. They just work

Yes. Lane change avoidance. And maybe that’s it. (Barely noticeable). It’s truly barely noticeable to the point where (Compared to other car makers offerings) it’s pretty much ineffective.

While I agree that Tesla's version of rain sensing wipers in every Model S I've owned is the worst version of rain sensing wipers I've used from any manufacturer I have yet to have them stop halfway across the windshield. I think you've got another problem there. Most of my problem is with them not starting at all, not clearing frequently enough and the fastest they go is still about half of the speed actually needed in heavy rain. Pretty embarrassing for such a "technology forward" car to have to sit on the side of the road during a rain storm because hte wipers won't cycle fast enough to be able to see.
Geez louise - just go to manual on/off mode.why stop driving?

Reactions: EA500
Yes. Lane change avoidance. And maybe that’s it. (Barely noticeable). It’s truly barely noticeable to the point where (Compared to other car makers offerings) it’s pretty much ineffective.
One thing I have noticed, and it leaves me uneasy, is that the lane change avoidance does not detect the double yellow center lines on on non-divided hwy, and I can even steer into the center barrier or divider on divided hwy's. Seems to be very poor operation that I can steer into a head on crash with no correction. I have tested this on every version that enabled this feature.

Reactions: 2101Guy
One thing I have noticed, and it leaves me uneasy, is that the lane change avoidance does not detect the double yellow center lines on on non-divided hwy, and I can even steer into the center barrier or divider on divided hwy's. Seems to be very poor operation that I can steer into a head on crash with no correction. I have tested this on every version that enabled this feature.

it’s odd because youd think that the same great tech that powers the autopilot is same that controls lane change avoidance.