Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter “R” under the clear coat of the paint on a new “inventory” Tesla model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a pic of the paint that is near the sunroof:

There appears to be an “R” that is below the clear coat. It is smooth around it as well as on top of it, and it isn’t going away with a microfiber cloth.

I’m sure this isn’t normal haha, but just wanna make sure I’m not crazy….tesla should fix it under warranty right?

My delivery day was yesterday when it was raining all day so I missed that spot and didn’t catch it until today. I did make a service appt before the 24hrs/100mi after delivery though!

I seriously doubt that is below the clear coat. Any detailer should be able to easily get it off. If you want to try to fix it yourself, this should work:

I seriously doubt that is below the clear coat. Any detailer should be able to easily get it off. If you want to try to fix it yourself, this should work:

Hm okay. Should I even attempt to do it if I caught it within the time/distance constraints?

This is a pic of the paint that is near the sunroof:

There appears to be an “R” that is below the clear coat. It is smooth around it as well as on top of it, and it isn’t going away with a microfiber cloth.

I’m sure this isn’t normal haha, but just wanna make sure I’m not crazy….tesla should fix it under warranty right?

My delivery day was yesterday when it was raining all day so I missed that spot and didn’t catch it until today. I did make a service appt before the 24hrs/100mi after delivery though!
I picked up a 2024 model y from Tesla in Dedham Ma, and had the same "R" on my roof. I noticed it on inspection and they were able to remove it. Do you have any knowledge as to what this "R" is supposed to mean?

Do you have any knowledge as to what this "R" is supposed to mean?

Repaired

Repaired means to restore something that is damaged, broken, or not working correctly, back into good condition to make it working again.​

Note: This remind me when I bought a replacement sun visor for my car at a dismantler shop,
but the reference to the part number was written in big red letters, so finally I had to buy a clean new one at the dealer.

Last edited:
Repaired

Repaired means to restore something that is damaged, broken, or not working correctly, back into good condition to make it working again.​

Note: This remind me when I bought a replacement sun visor for my car at a dismantler shop,
but the reference to the part number was written in big red letters, so finally I had to buy a clean new one at the dealer.
How do you know this is what it means? Are you just guessing or do you know for fact?

After two similar occurences, I was just guessing, but it might certainly mean something like Repaired, Repainted, Repolished.... Refurbished !!!

If your post in post #8 is a guess, it certainly was not written that way. Its written as a definitive statement, even going so far as to include the dictionary definition of the word "repaired" as if most people reading this website in english would not know the meaning of the word "repaired".

Reactions: Andrometer4