Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think the pros for LFP:
.safety (harder to go up in flame)
.longevity
.durability (extreme temperatures)

It's not new. It's been old but Tesla did not use it because:

The cons:
.less performance (When Tesla started, it wanted to have an image of fast cars like Roadster, Ludicrous, Plaid... not slower Standard Range Plus)
.slower charging rate
.heavier (bulkier and takes up more space)
I would like to know fire risk of LFP in pouch format vs NCA in cylindrical format. Which had the lowest risk of fire which spreads to the whole car?

I would like to know fire risk of LFP in pouch format vs NCA in cylindrical format. Which had the lowest risk of fire which spreads to the whole car?
Who does LFP in a pouch? Model 3 is 'prismatic' not pouch, right?

-Image for illustration purposes-

Attachments

• sean-mitchell-confirms-mic-tesla-model-3-will-have-prismatic-lfp-cells.jpg
    sean-mitchell-confirms-mic-tesla-model-3-will-have-prismatic-lfp-cells.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
I picked my LFP SR+ and it's been great so far. Charged it to 100% at home on a 120v. Question is, is it ok to supercharge to 100%? I wasn't sure I charged up to 90% the other day to try and it seemed to charge up very quickly (50-90%) but I'm going to be taking a road trip soon and was wondering if I can charge to 100 if I have the time in one of my stops...there aren't many chargers near my destination

I picked my LFP SR+ and it's been great so far. Charged it to 100% at home on a 120v. Question is, is it ok to supercharge to 100%? I wasn't sure I charged up to 90% the other day to try and it seemed to charge up very quickly (50-90%) but I'm going to be taking a road trip soon and was wondering if I can charge to 100 if I have the time in one of my stops...there aren't many chargers near my destination
Things might be slightly different in really crowded markets like part of California. But In general you can charge to 100% at a super charger. The rate of charging gets slow toward the end. But you certainly can. Sometimes we will roll up at a supercharger and it will say “high use supercharger (meaning it gets used a lot) - total charge being set to 80% automatically. Press settings to adjust.” Meaning it defaults to only charging your car to 80% (as a suggestion) but changing it is simple.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and MY-Y
In addition to the lack of the “daily” and “trip” segments when setting the charging limit, you can tell by the weight of the vehicle. LFP vehicles are a little over 200 lbs heavier, with GVWR of 4658 lbs. You can find this on the driver’s side door jam sticker.
I believe you also need to know the total passenger + luggage load weight (also listed in the door jamb sticker). GVWR - Load Weight = vehicle weight. I saw a good discussion with images on a different thread (I think).

Last edited:
What is everyone charging their LFPs to? I know Tesla recommends at least 100% weekly, but wondering if you are charging daily, what are you setting your limits to or are you doing 100% daily?
In another thread, someone posted excerpts from the European Model 3 manual. It explicitly states to set the limit to 100% even for daily driving.
I'd assume that when the manual gets its next update it will include that section as some US vehicles are now being supplied with LFP packs.

Here is the additional detail applicable to LFP vehicles:

View attachment 708910
View attachment 708912

In another thread, someone posted excerpts from the European Model 3 manual. It explicitly states to set the limit to 100% even for daily driving.

Those are good concrete answers for charging to 100. I guess a 100% it is! My Bolt usually lets me start to regen within a mile or so, just an excuse to punch the accelerator for a bit to drain down those first electrons.

• Funny
Reactions: MrT3
Who does LFP in a pouch? Model 3 is 'prismatic' not pouch, right?

-Image for illustration purposes-
Prismatic then. Same question. What is the fire risk for LFP prismatic vs NCA cylindrical? Tesla should be sharing this info with all of us especially with the Bolt fires going on.

LFP cells in general have a lower fire risk, but Prismatic modules, to my knowledge, have no fire spacing or fire retardant in the modules or packs like the cylindrical modules. There should be some statistics some where on this.

There have been almost zero Model 3 fires so far. Will it stay this way with the introduction of LFP?

Prismatic then. Same question. What is the fire risk for LFP prismatic vs NCA cylindrical? Tesla should be sharing this info with all of us especially with the Bolt fires going on.

LFP cells in general have a lower fire risk, but Prismatic modules, to my knowledge, have no fire spacing or fire retardant in the modules or packs like the cylindrical modules. There should be some statistics some where on this.

There have been almost zero Model 3 fires so far. Will it stay this way with the introduction of LFP?
It is a good question. I need to go back and watch Munro's various battery teardowns to understand the design specifics better. Though I am an engineer, I am no expert in this area. Happened to find this recent article discussing the issue somewhat.

Here's a video showing the three form factors. Might help give people an idea to answer your question. Seems there are three main considerations. Chemistry, cooling, and cascading failure.

It is a good question. I need to go back and watch Munro's various battery teardowns to understand the design specifics better. Though I am an engineer, I am no expert in this area. Happened to find this recent article discussing the issue somewhat.

Good info. Thanks. I still question containment when a cell goes bad in a prismatic pack. Will it spread?