Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how to feel about it... Charge to 100% is good, I would think they would drop the price if the car market was normal....

The real advantage if the lpo batteries is not that you can charge to 100% (apart from regions without access to dc charging i. E. Australia noone needs this anyway). The real advantage is apparently the very little to no degradation.

How true is that? Only time will tell. I cant wait for the reports from the first cars in europe regarding degradation.

Elon told us as much earlier this year when he said standard range vehicles are going to LFP batteries at some point as they are cheaper to produce and use less nickel. There is no reason to have NCA batteries in a “standard range“ EV as it is not needed for the specified range. They are also considered less toxic and less prone to combustion and thus deemed safer. I don’t see this as a negative for anybody who is getting a standard range Tesla in the future.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Only concerned because I have a delivery sometime later this year... I don't want to pay nca price to get an lfp. Even if there isn't a concrete negative for the sr, it was associated with a drop in price in all other markets.

I’m wondering if they do switch over to LFP batteries, will it result in any production line downtime? Surely there is at least a small amount of time to switch over…
There appears to be a gap in edd for sr+. First two weeks in October don't seem to be showing up. Many in September and then jumps to second half of October.

Good to know they might honor reduced price but with the current market... not sure what price they'd change it to.

There appears to be a gap in edd for sr+. First two weeks in October don't seem to be showing up. Many in September and then jumps to second half of October.

Good to know they might honor reduced price but with the current market... not sure what price they'd change it to.
I'm not certain they will reduce the price though. Tesla appears to have been reluctant to push the SR+ above the $40k threshold. So any cost savings they will keep for themselves IMO due to the current market state. It's not like they are giving SR+ owners a crappy battery and then charging the same. It's just a different battery not a crappy one.

I watched a couple of interesting videos re M3 SR+ with LFP batteries. They are long and detailed, and are in German, but there are English subtitles available. Keep in mind: I’m pretty sure the car in the videos does not have a heat pump. (MIC M3 with LFP where MIC = Made in China)

I'm hoping Tesla will put as many LFP cells as will fit in the SR+ to give as much range as possible while keeping the price the same. Question is, how much would that range be? And, how much would the additional weight impact acceleration and handling with only a single motor? Personally, I keep my 2020 M3 SR+ in chill mode, with comfort steering because the performance is still outstanding.

Reactions: NB Hip fan
I'm hoping Tesla will put as many LFP cells as will fit in the SR+ to give as much range as possible while keeping the price the same. Question is, how much would that range be? And, how much would the additional weight impact acceleration and handling with only a single motor? Personally, I keep my 2020 M3 SR+ in chill mode, with comfort steering because the performance is still outstanding.
I think it's unlikely they will put more than us in mic model 3... if there's enough competition from the 40 to 50k - 7.5k incentive market they may reduce pricing but in today's market I really doubt it. They don't need to do it. Instead maybe they can drop the partial premium interior and just give all of us full premium interior and awd. One car, nca for range and premium. Heavier slower less range Lfp for sr base model.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
From https://twitter.com/blogteslafr

72A4D0C6-6193-46B6-A56A-C87214799EC7.jpeg

Reactions: Mattmo
Care to explain? Website still say 263 miles range
Sure, here's a screenshot of one of the LFP M3 SR+ available in inventory. Also, quote from the email I got from Tesla this evening:

"Due to limited supply and strong customer demand, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus battery pack, which we already released in Europe and Asia, to North America. This battery has a range of 253 miles (est.)."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210826-172720.png
    Screenshot_20210826-172720.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 422
Reactions: Jeremy3292