Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CATL is the company that makes the LFP battery:

Got this from Tesla today. Loving not having to worry about charging to 100%

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 4.16.20 PM.png

I'm not certain they will reduce the price though. Tesla appears to have been reluctant to push the SR+ above the $40k threshold. So any cost savings they will keep for themselves IMO due to the current market state. It's not like they are giving SR+ owners a crappy battery and then charging the same. It's just a different battery not a crappy one.

Agree… I might have paid more for LFP if given the choice. 100%! Pun intended.

Has anyone been able to successfully ask for an LFP battery pack through custom order and then by asking their SA to put in a request?
Good question. I ordered a SR+ on 9/8 and emailed my SA this morning asking if I could get a LFP battery, but no word back yet. FWIW, my EDD was originally Dec ???- Jan ???, but now says Nov 13 - Dec 03 (changed before I requested the LFP pack).

For people who have taken delivery in Sept, is anyone receiving NCA packs or are they all LFP?

Has anyone been able to successfully ask for an LFP battery pack through custom order and then by asking their SA to put in a request?

Good question. I ordered a SR+ on 9/8 and emailed my SA this morning asking if I could get a LFP battery, but no word back yet. FWIW, my EDD was originally Dec ???- Jan ???, but now says Nov 13 - Dec 03 (changed before I requested the LFP pack).

For people who have taken delivery in Sept, is anyone receiving NCA packs or are they all LFP?

If you ask me...At the moment all we know is that custom orders leverage the NCA batteries. It's possible that new custom orders under the new 262mi vs the previous 263mi range are LFP batteries, but at this point that's pure speculation. What we do know is that the only LFP batteries we are seeing are the inventory drops that are happening into existing inventory.

In my view, if you custom order and then ask your SA specifically for an LFP battery - you are essentially asking your SA to actively monitor existing inventory for an LFP unit and match your NCA reservation to one of these existing inventory LFP units. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Baluchi
If you ask me...At the moment all we know is that custom orders leverage the NCA batteries. It's possible that new custom orders under the new 262mi vs the previous 263mi range are LFP batteries, but at this point that's pure speculation. What we do know is that the only LFP batteries we are seeing are the inventory drops that are happening into existing inventory.

In my view, if you custom order and then ask your SA specifically for an LFP battery - you are essentially asking your SA to actively monitor existing inventory for an LFP unit and match your NCA reservation to one of these existing inventory LFP units. Good luck with that.
My SA made it seem like they had quite of few of these battery packs sitting at Fremont waiting to be mated with SR+ vehicles. If my preferences are in the system, then when more of the LFP cars come to my area I should be given one. Just like how normal deliveries work. No one is getting a car made just for them. It’s all about the algorithm they use to match you with a car that has your same feature set and preferences. This is why the wait is so long. It’s all random. At some point, a Model 3 that has the same spec you ordered will come to your area and you’ll be notified of a pending delivery.

Reactions: SaintMickey®
I was trying to make out where he was at around halftime, It looked like he had gone about 137 miles and his range of miles left was 123 (couldn’t tell for sure if maybe it was 133). So by halftime the bms had figured out that he had 260 miles of range rather than 253. Like it was straight-out capped at never showing more than 253 miles of range left, but once it calculated the range remaining to be less than 253 it had less of a problem showing its actual calculated range. The problem was that for the 1st half he showed the percentage of battery charge left and for the second half he showed the numerical range of miles left. I am trusting he didn’t go down nine miles of incline during his ride. I’m kind of glad to think the extra juice is there if needed, but still would prefer to see it displayed clearly from 262 to 0…

My SA made it seem like they had quite of few of these battery packs sitting at Fremont waiting to be mated with SR+ vehicles. If my preferences are in the system, then when more of the LFP cars come to my area I should be given one. Just like how normal deliveries work. No one is getting a car made just for them. It’s all about the algorithm they use to match you with a car that has your same feature set and preferences. This is why the wait is so long. It’s all random. At some point, a Model 3 that has the same spec you ordered will come to your area and you’ll be notified of a pending delivery.
I'm sure they do have a bunch of LFP battery inventory, but those LFP battery Model 3s are put into existing inventory rather than fulfilling custom orders. From what we have seen so far, LFP batteries are not matched to custom orders as they are dropped into existing inventory. That is why i believe you asking specifically for an LFP battery in my eyes is asking your SA to manually match to an existing inventory unit. I think you will be stuck in limbo until it is confirmed that they switch from NCA to LFP battery packs, if that ever happens.

As it stands now, if you want an LFP battery, you need to snag an existing inventory unit.

I'm sure they do have a bunch of LFP battery inventory, but those LFP battery Model 3s are put into existing inventory rather than fulfilling custom orders. From what we have seen so far, LFP batteries are not matched to custom orders as they are dropped into existing inventory. That is why i believe you asking specifically for an LFP battery in my eyes is asking your SA to manually match to an existing inventory unit. I think you will be stuck in limbo until it is confirmed that they switch from NCA to LFP battery packs, if that ever happens.

As it stands now, if you want an LFP battery, you need to snag an existing inventory unit.

I think this is good advice. Apple’s own email to customers with SR+ orders suggests that those interested in the LFP battery should check inventory. Unfortunately, the inventory vehicles disappear in minutes. I did not realize how lucky I was until after I had snagged one. I do know someone, however, whose sales rep actually did scour the inventory for them and called them when a vehicle became available.

I think this is good advice. Apple’s own email to customers with SR+ orders suggests that those interested in the LFP battery should check inventory. Unfortunately, the inventory vehicles disappear in minutes. I did not realize how lucky I was until after I had snagged one. I do know someone, however, whose sales rep actually did scour the inventory for them and called them when a vehicle became available.

Freudian slip…”Apple”. I guess it’s the Apple if cars!

He uploaded new video today. Got 263miles

So if this is right then I am thinking one of these days I’ll get the car charged up to its max 253 range. Then the night will come, and the car will get an OTA update. Since the 3% has already been recovered from the buffer, then in the morning my car should suddenly register as having 262 miles of range without any further charging having been done…

• Informative
Reactions: SaintMickey®