Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP Battery Pack compatible with early Model 3 (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone on my local facebook Tesla group had their 2018 Model 3 battery go kaput right out of warranty at 132k miles. Tesla is quoting them $15k for replacement so they're looking at third party options for replacement.

One thought i had was why not swap out the pack for a used one from a newer Model 3 and so it got me thinking: Could you install and configure an LFP battery pack from a 21+ Model 3 in an early RWD Model 3, say the ones made between 2017 and 2019? Or would you have to stick with the Li-ion battery pack for those models as well?

Mechanically it should fit, but not sure if all the connections are the same. If it is a 2018 AWD it absolutely will not, since there would be no front motor connection. Also, not sure if Toolbox will let you pair them (suspect probably not). Another big issue is the LFP pack will deliver significantly lower performance (current) than the LR NMC pack, and less range (unless it was a MR or SR car originally). They should stick to an NMC pack.

Reactions: TheFro
Mechanically it should fit, but not sure if all the connections are the same. If it is a 2018 AWD it absolutely will not, since there would be no front motor connection. Also, not sure if Toolbox will let you pair them (suspect probably not). Another big issue is the LFP pack will deliver significantly lower performance (current) than the LR NMC pack, and less range (unless it was a MR or SR car originally). They should stick to an NMC pack.
Given people have a hard time even getting different headlights working, I highly doubt they would let you pair a LFP on a 2018 car. Probably more trouble than it's worth.