Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License plate screws size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my plates and have the Tesla frames that were handed to me with the car. Does anyone know what size screws to use? I hate to mess up with the wrong size!

Thanks!
The front license plate frame that was left in my car at pickup had two packets of screws taped to it. One set was labeled as "front" and the other as "rear". If yours did not, you may want to stop by the Service Center and ask for some.

Received my plates and have the Tesla frames that were handed to me with the car. Does anyone know what size screws to use? I hate to mess up with the wrong size!

Thanks!
Rear is held with #10-32 Thread 1/4" Machine Screws. Never found the rear screws that were supposed to come with the vehicle. Screws for the front were in a bag along with the front mount.

If anyone is looking for a rear plate screw for the new black plastic bracket, but with a slightly larger head to keep from popping through the license plate, I found the following available in stainless steel.

Torx 6mm (stock) length:
SBF5X6SS - Button Head Flange Torx Stainless [SBF5X6SS] - $0.30 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

Phillips 8mm (slightly longer) length:
SLH5X8SS - Phillips Truss Head Screw Stainless [SLH5X8SS] - $0.29 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair

Personally, I used the torx screws for a slight bit of extra security. Not that it helps a ton, but since most license plate bolts are phillips head I would guess those are what plate thieves are looking for specifically. I ended up buying 8 of them, gonna see if I can find a white paint that matches FL plates and attempt to make the holes almost disappear from a distance.

Does anyone have a source for getting the plastic bolt anchors Tesla uses for the rear plate frame? Mine keep popping out and probably need to be replaced and I don't want to deal with Tesla service to get it done.

Does anyone have confirmation of whether non "tapping" screws/bolts can be used for the rear plate before I purchase some longer ones? The ones Tesla provides are screws with a screw end but the only ones I can find domestically are just bolts.

Has anyone found anti-theft bolts for their rear license plate?

I picked up a set with 2 short and 2 long screws from Plate Keeper on Amazon. I decided to use the short ones on the back and the longer ones on the front. I felt like 2 each were enough, plus I like that the black screws that came with the car match my plates (CA Legacy), but you could buy two sets if you felt the need.

Dont use the external EZpass abomination. Get the normal small internal pass (ideally with green discount programs enabled) and mount inside... per manual or above the end of the center console/rear vents or behind the front bumper skin (peel back the fender liner and tape or ziptie it close to the fog assemblies).

above the end of the center console/rear vents

behind the front bumper skin

or ziptie it close to the fog assemblies

can you be more specific here? for the first one, what do you mean 'above the end' - the top of the windshield, behind the mirror? unfortunately i already have a gate pass sticker there.

no clue what you are referring to with the second two, do you mean mount the internal pass externally?

Indeed, multiple threads on that here and on other fora.

You can mount the internal pass:
a. inside the cabin, above and a bit behind your head, near the B pillar interior lights... either in front or behind them, attach to the roof glass.

b. outside the cabin, behind the bumper skin. Peel back your front wheel well liner toward the front of the car, peek inside with a flashlight and note the fog assemblies, front crash beam etc. Mount where you'd like using 3M VHB or zipties, industrial velcro strips, etc.

The bumper skin is thin enough to allow an RFID read just fine.

are the rear place screws #10X32 or M5-.8x6mm? Once I know the size I need to find ones a little longer than stock.
Since there did not seem to be agreement in this thread about the M5 vs #10-32 screws, I took one of my existing short black screws that came with my M3 to Home Depot. I tried it in the thread tester for both M5 and #10-32. It worked in both, but I thought it fit a little better in the #10-32 threads. As a result, I bought #10-32 x 3/8" stainless screws, since I needed something longer for my new license plate frame.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar