Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life without a home 240V charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electricity rates in some parts of California run up to $0.50/KW. But you can get EV rates, or Time of Use rates that are considerably lower ($0.20 or less). And gas can run up to $4/gal for the 92 octane required/recommended for most vehicles that are even remotely close to a Tesla's performance

Yeah, I know it's high there, but even at $0.50/kWh, on a full 100 kWh charge with losses (eg 110 kWh from the wall), that's $55 for 300 miles. A Q7 averages 19 MPG and requires premium fuel. Currently lowest price is $3.43 on Gasbuddy in Ventura. $3.43 * (300/19) = $54.15.

That's an absolute worst-case scenario. With any reasonable rates (eg an EV or ToU rate), the X costs less than half what the Q7 does for fuel.

Sheesh--what is your electrical rate? There is virtually no chance that 'fueling' an X can possibly cost more than premium fuel for an XC90 T8 + electricity (that's what I came from, and at my rates of 11 cents/kWh it's far cheaper for the X), much less a Q7.

I remember over from SwedeSpeed... For most of the year I had the XC90, it would remain charged.. With the 10k miles I put on that, I maybe filled up gas once every 5 weeks or so... And it was only a 13 gallon tank. I would charge for free, either at work, or near where the superchargers are.

My electric rates are high, Southern California Edison - there would be months I would be in Tier 3, once I hit Tier 4, that was painful. My electric rate averaged close to 40c... I just switched to a TOU, and the average this past month being on it was about 24c.

And yes, the Q7, mileage wise, does cost less to fill up than the X would cost to go the same distance. The XC90 T8 beat that by far... And, as long as I only ever supercharge, the X wins.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it's high there, but even at $0.50/kWh, on a full 100 kWh charge with losses (eg 110 kWh from the wall), that's $55 for 300 miles. A Q7 averages 19 MPG and requires premium fuel. Currently lowest price is $3.43 on Gasbuddy in Ventura. $3.43 * (300/19) = $54.15.

That's an absolute worst-case scenario. With any reasonable rates (eg an EV or ToU rate), the X costs less than half what the Q7 does for fuel.

There's no way I could get 300 miles from a full charge on the X. Unless I do long distance drives all the time.

The Q7 might average that, but, just like the XC90, when I would drive it, I did a lot better...

This is January right now:
2020-01-31.png

I have added 422 kWh - if at home, that would be $101 in electricity to go a total of 655 miles..
With the XC90 T8, I could go an average of 500 miles on 13 gallons...
With the Q7, I believe it's a 21 gallon tank? I was doing between 450-500 before a fill up.

Last edited:
OK, the XC90 with free charging at work and 25 mpg vs 40 cents/kWh is cheaper than the X (but why could you charge the XC90 at work for free but not the X?). That's far from a typical scenario.

But no, the Q7 at 19 mpg is not less to fill than the X unless you are somehow comparing great mileage in the Q7 to terrible mileage in the X. In either event, at 24c it's moot, as the X ($26.40 for a full charge) is far cheaper than a Q7 ($54) and a little cheaper than an XC90 ($27 assuming 37 combined MPG and free charging).

While writing this, I saw your latest post, mentioning that your X Wh/mile are terrible--agree that at 450 Wh/mi you're in a different scope where the XC90 would at least be cheaper (still no chance for the Q7--you'd have to be averaging over 600 Wh/mi to match the Q7's cost assuming your current $0.24/kWh), but again, having owned both, in conditions where the X does poorly, so does the XC90. So i'm not sure you're looking apples to apples. 450 takes some doing! I'm at 361 this month and we've had a lot of cold and wetness this month. Lifetime average is 328 for me.

None of this really matters, though--to each their own. Not sure how you feel, but I'm sure glad to be in the X now rather than the XC90, regardless of the fuel cost.

OK, the XC90 with free charging at work and 25 mpg vs 40 cents/kWh is cheaper than the X (but why could you charge the XC90 at work for free but not the X?). That's far from a typical scenario.
None of this really matters, though--to each their own. Not sure how you feel, but I'm sure glad to be in the X now rather than the XC90, regardless of the fuel cost.

Very true - we all have different experiences - most of my trips are short, and even when they aren't...

I absolutely miss many things about the XC90 - I just don't miss Volvo at all.. I miss the seats (much more comfortable, the ventilated seats were amazing, and they offered much more adjustment - the bolsters, the seat base, etc..), the controls (I could adjust the passenger seat from my driver controls - useful when the wife would fall asleep, I could recline her seat), the air suspension (offered a much more comfortable ride), the HUD (seeing what I needed in my line of vision), and Android Auto (full, interactive Waze).

Ah, for the charging - we moved locations, and I was able to run an extension cable from the warehouse out to the parking lot and would plug my charge cord into that.. I can't do that at the new location since I would be blocking the loading bays for the trucks (and don't feel like having to deal with unplugging a charge cable and recoiling a 100 foot extension cable).

Reactions: Zaxxon
There's no way I could get 300 miles from a full charge on the X. Unless I do long distance drives all the time.

The Q7 might average that, but, just like the XC90, when I would drive it, I did a lot better...

This is January right now:

I have added 422 kWh - if at home, that would be $101 in electricity to go a total of 655 miles..
With the XC90 T8, I could go an average of 500 miles on 13 gallons...
With the Q7, I believe it's a 21 gallon tank? I was doing between 450-500 before a fill up.

Let's get this right. The original poster is NOT from SoCal.
SoCal electric rates DO NOT reflect those from most of the remainder of the United States. (nor does gas prices)
Proximity to Superchargers in SoCal also does not reflect proximity to Superchargers in the rest of the world
But, I believe that CA does have some tax credits/rebates that also tend to change the equation.

To a lesser point, it isn't fair to compare specific use during the worse case months of the year against the average for another vehicle, possibly using the manufacturer's numbers.

So, @mjptech, these may be YOUR experiences and they may be similar to other SoCal users, but they are not reflective of most users.

My electricity is $0.06 right now, peaks at $0.015 in summer. Gas is $2.15 least I looked

So so far its definitely realistic for me, but that's only because there are three superchargers from my house to my office, and one of them is 5 mins from the office. The first supercharger on the way is at the movie theater I go to, which I'm at on a weekly basis (AMC Stubz A-List baby). The other one is at a plaza that I get lunch at during work :/

That being said, I'm not going to act like I don't think the Tesla Wall Charger isn't a cool thing to have. I just have to figure out how to get it as a gift lol cuz I'm not paying for it.

Let's get this right. The original poster is NOT from SoCal.
SoCal electric rates DO NOT reflect those from most of the remainder of the United States. (nor does gas prices)
Proximity to Superchargers in SoCal also does not reflect proximity to Superchargers in the rest of the world
But, I believe that CA does have some tax credits/rebates that also tend to change the equation.

To a lesser point, it isn't fair to compare specific use during the worse case months of the year against the average for another vehicle, possibly using the manufacturer's numbers.

So, @mjptech, these may be YOUR experiences and they may be similar to other SoCal users, but they are not reflective of most users.

My electricity is $0.06 right now, peaks at $0.015 in summer. Gas is $2.15 least I looked

I would love 1c rates - and yes, these are my experiences, costs, and data that I've offered up, not just for the OP, but, for others that have the same question..

We are on two different sides of the charging spectrum (home v supercharging), and that's great - we offer different perspectives and hopefully @hidavi has some more information and can make a better decision as to what will work out best.

I will be interested to see how you operate after a few months of this.

When I first got my X I thought Supercharging was pretty cool. But shortly thereafter I discovered that it was more of a hassle. A hassle worthwhile while on a trip, but no where near as convenient as charging at home. After a while I realized it was like charging your phone while traveling at an airport kiosk while waiting for a flight versus charging at home while you slept.

I can assure you this is convenient for my situation. I own a large company and am use to living in my truck. I do estimates for 3 - 4 hours after work and then have to write up the estimate and email them. Takes me about 30 to 45 mins to do this every day. Im thinking I will need to SC every two to three days and I drive right past the SC anyways. One of the main reasons Im purchasing the X is to save money. As to spending money at SC store, that wont be the case as I bring my lunch to work and theres always a case a water on every truck I own and will be in the x as well. (Florida, and we work outside) Ive had a routine for 31 years and it will only change a little to SC.

Now again, This will be good for me, but some or even most it wont work. If the SC wasn't on way home... id say no way... as some stated.. time is money or time with the wife and kids.

And here in the bay area, my electric bill is already 700$ a month. Electricity is very costly here.

I can assure you this is convenient for my situation. I own a large company and am use to living in my truck. I do estimates for 3 - 4 hours after work and then have to write up the estimate and email them. Takes me about 30 to 45 mins to do this every day. Im thinking I will need to SC every two to three days and I drive right past the SC anyways. One of the main reasons Im purchasing the X is to save money. As to spending money at SC store, that wont be the case as I bring my lunch to work and theres always a case a water on every truck I own and will be in the x as well. (Florida, and we work outside) Ive had a routine for 31 years and it will only change a little to SC.

Now again, This will be good for me, but some or even most it wont work. If the SC wasn't on way home... id say no way... as some stated.. time is money or time with the wife and kids.

And here in the bay area, my electric bill is already 700$ a month. Electricity is very costly here.

$700/mo without charging!!! What is your electrical rate? Also, do they have EV or Time of Use plans? I was always told power was cheap in Florida.

I live in the East SF Bay Area know for being expensive and our bills only hit $550 in the middle of summer (100+). We are on Time of Use plan. Rate in summer is $0.21 off peak, $0.40 on-peak (M-F 4PM - 9PM). Obviously we charge off peak. A/C runs 10-12 hours per day during that time to hold temps in to the upper 70s. 3000+ sq foot home. Gas range, electric oven and warming drawer, gas house heating. We work from home so HVAC is always set to same settings 24/7

Sounds like somebody needs some solar PV.

I have priced solar, my winter bill is 700+ a month .. summers here in Florida its 900$ to 1000$. I priced solar at around 75k to fill the roof and it would save me about half the bill. We are large family (5 kids plus wife and I) and it is a 2 story 4000 sqft home, plus pool... and the 850 gallon fish tank has 3 20amp breakers on it alone. Im constantly shutting off lights ( all LED). I want solar but first Im thinking about a new roof (metal) to get away from asphalt shingles. I have not prices teslas solar though which could be cheaper as its the roof and solar combined i think.. not sure.. need to do some reading I suppose.
So ... with the energy bill we have now... you can see another reason to SC on the way home... lol

$700/mo without charging!!! What is your electrical rate? Also, do they have EV or Time of Use plans? I was always told power was cheap in Florida.

I live in the East SF Bay Area know for being expensive and our bills only hit $550 in the middle of summer (100+). We are on Time of Use plan. Rate in summer is $0.21 off peak, $0.40 on-peak (M-F 4PM - 9PM). Obviously we charge off peak. A/C runs 10-12 hours per day during that time to hold temps in to the upper 70s. 3000+ sq foot home. Gas range, electric oven and warming drawer, gas house heating. We work from home so HVAC is always set to same settings 24/7

Im not sure the rate to be honest... Bill is paid on auto... We live near Tampa right on west coast.. 5 mins to beach that we never go to.. lol Big house.. lots of crap running, and summers here as hot as SH*T... Brutal...
Duke energy does not help with ev cars... they have placed a few chargers on plug and share that are free to use till 2022... no peak or off peak hours here at a discount.. one fee.

Yep. Tesla's XL system in FL is well under $30k after tax credit. That's a 15 kW system. Wouldn't bring you to zero but it's a lot of solar. Not a great idea if you're considering replacement of the roof, tho.

Glass might be cheaper than roof plus retrofit as you say.

Yep. Tesla's XL system in FL is well under $30k after tax credit. That's a 15 kW system. Wouldn't bring you to zero but it's a lot of solar. Not a great idea if you're considering replacement of the roof, tho.

Glass might be cheaper than roof plus retrofit as you say.

I will get a quote from Tesla for sure. A asphalt roof for my house is 30K ... Been there, done that... Im not ready for a new roof yet but i am ready for solar. Problem is.. if I add solar and then need a new roof it will be a huge cost to remove solar and then put back up. This is my thinking about getting a metal roof first as they last a very long time and solar panels attach to metal roofs very nicely.

Reactions: Zaxxon
E="ewoodrick, post: 4426788, member: 75255"]In my humble opinion, it's a PITA to stop at a Supercharger daily. By charging at home, your life becomes much easier. My time is worth so much more than the "free Supercharging"[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Jezz, I got a charger put in my fuse box for only $165., a pittance to all the angst one has to experience. If you can afford a MODEL X, you can afford that. Wait until the superchargers fill up and you have to sit and wait. I actually had to wait for the first time when all slots were full in West Palm the other day. Not to mention the extra wear on your battery by supercharging so much.

I had a charger put in at home and at the office. I usually charge at the office. When I come out of work, I am charged to 80% at 25 miles per hour charging. Or I come home, plug in and know I will be at 80% the next morning. My electric cost is about $1.00 a day.
PEACE OF MIND is so worth it. By the way, I also don't wear my socks and underwear more than one day.

• Funny
Reactions: jboy210