Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift gate rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also tried the "foam" fix, which reduced 80% of the rattles. I guess some other rattles are due to the movement between the clips and metal base inside the trim.

I am trying to use the method in the YouTube video:

and the first 1:30 of the following:

Last edited:
Mine was from the plastic corners where the hatch come down. I had some RV putty I put under the plastic pieces.

Attachments

• 020CF7A3-12F5-474C-83C5-EE4809D4FADF.jpeg
    020CF7A3-12F5-474C-83C5-EE4809D4FADF.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 40949F3F-0933-403D-A470-22CE88EDA80E.jpeg
    40949F3F-0933-403D-A470-22CE88EDA80E.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 160ACA4F-E692-48FF-BE44-366695C3942A.jpeg
    160ACA4F-E692-48FF-BE44-366695C3942A.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: EasyPal
@AndrewMT Was your rattle ever fixed? Would like to hear the story even if issue wasn’t corrected.
The two pieces of sheet metal, stick a wood shim in between the two sheets and snap the shim off so it breaks even with the surface. This fixed my problem, it would creak when it gets to full open position or any bump in the road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 104
Wow! This was the source of some noise when I go over particularly bumpy roads. One side of my trunk trim was very flexible in the red areas. The other side if firm with not flexibility anywhere. The red box with the black line denotes the area where the trunk trim overlaps with other trim and there is a lot of looseness which allows the two pieces to make noises in some road conditions.
View attachment 826947
Stick a wood shim in these areas and snap it off so it breaks even with the surface. Same issue. Fixed my problem after three visits to SC I figured it out myself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 101
I was able to locate the source of my trunk/lift gate rattle after 4 months. I sat in the trunk with a friend driving me over rough road to trigger it.

The back plastic trim was loose where I have wedged foam and I was able to hear it coming from here in minutes. Applying gentle pressure to this corner stopped rattling, which came back as soon as I lifted pressure. The foam “fixes” it but is disappointing.

Since I’m not able to replicate it consistently, my service center has so far not tried to fix it saying they can’t reproduce it, and even telling me it sounds like my foam fixed it :(

Anyways, I hadn’t seen this spot being the source in my months of searching.. so sharing here in case it helps someone. At least the insane rattle has stopped for good with my foam even if Tesla won’t fix this.
More permanent solution, stick wood shims in between the sandwiched two pieces of sheet metal under the upper lift gate trim. You will have to take the upper liftgate trim off. Do it in a heated area not in the cold pry from the left side carefully and pull back slowly throughout. You will expose the area shown in the photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Make sure your lift gate plastic trim is not loose like mine. In this photo you can see mine is separating from metal. Mine freely moves up and down. Other side has no movement. This is source of my rattles. Making appointment this weekend.
View attachment 883295
Mobile service came and fixed the issue of my plastic lift gate trim being loose & flapping around on one side. They used a “tougher” clip. This eliminated a major source of rattle from lift gate. I think I still have a few other areas within lift gate to debug.

More permanent solution, stick wood shims in between the sandwiched two pieces of sheet metal under the upper lift gate trim. You will have to take the upper liftgate trim off. Do it in a heated area not in the cold pry from the left side carefully and pull back slowly throughout. You will expose the area shown in the photos.
Thanks. I’ll try this after all other options since mobile repair just refit my lift gate because one side was very loose and flapping around a bit. The repair happened a week before you posted 🤣.

I hate to post another rattling issue, but since they seem to come up a lot, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the cause of some rattling coming from the lift gate. I've included a 15 second video where you can hear it pretty clearly.

From other threads, I've heard of people adjusting the rubber stoppers, padding their license plate (I did this and it was definitely not the issue), looking at their subwoofer/amplifyer assembly, etc.

I'm hoping to try out a few fixes, but I may just create a SC appointment. The noise is fairly loud and had been happening since delivery in mid November of this year. To be honest, it puts a huge damper on the whole driving experience of this car.

Video of rattling:
Wow this is exactly the same noise I have. How did you solve this noise?