Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light refraction on Model 3 defroster lines research inquiry

Do you get light refraction along the defroster lines in the rear window?

• Yes and the window is tinted

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes and the window is not tinted

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No and the window is tinted

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No and the window is not tinted

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This issue is not new (and has been discussed on this forum and elsewhere), but I wanted to dive a little more deep into this before making any final decisions.

Tints that generally have very high heat rejection tend to be on the thicker side (like 3m crystalline, photosync, etc.), which are generally 2 mil thick, if you tint over the defroster lines you'll likely get an appearance like this (my car, XR Plus 70, but read on about this tint line first as this vlt is the odd one out):

20190610_084726.jpg20190610_084739 (Large).jpg
At night this leads to stuff like this (it's hard to capture how it looks exactly as to actually how bright it is, but the light along the defroster lines are real, from my car; this I believe is also with the auto-dimming in action):
refraction.jpg

What was maddening to me was that I was pretty sure my original tint did not have that issue (XPEL Prime XR Plus 45, as it was 1.5 mil thick); for various reasons I switched to the 70 version. (Would like confirmation of no issues for any of the XR or XR Plus that is not the 70 version)

What I didn't know was that the 70 version is the only one that was 2 mil thick vs 1.5 mil (according to the spec sheet), because of that you get the effect above.

I guess for a lot of people this doesn't bother them and they like the tint for the various benefits; I think for me one reason that it bothers me a lot is since my tint is light, the refraction really sticks out.

I also wonder if this is just because of my defroster lines just happening to be on the thicker side...

I was going to do something about it last year, but ended up trying to sit it out and get used to it. Now that it's been a bit longer, I find it still bothers/annoy me. I'm kind of on the fence on trying to do something about it. But before I decide on anything, I wanted to find out the following:
  • If you tinted your back glass and did not get the light refraction, what tint & vlt did you use?
  • If you tinted your back glass and do get the refraction, how noticeable it is, and what tint & vlt did you use?
  • If you did not tint your back glass, do you have the issue at all? (When my car was untinted I don't remember having the issue, but not 100% sure)
  • If you had to redo your back glass more than once, did the issue appear/get worse with the same level of tint? (I was wondering if reapplication had something to do with it)

Any other insights/thoughts would be appreciated as well.

Yes, I noticed this happening when I turn on my defroster. Once I shut off the defroster, the effect goes away. It doesn't bother me, as I can still see well enough out the window. I could be wrong, but I think it is a sign that the defroster in the window is pretty powerful. Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, I noticed this happening when I turn on my defroster. Once I shut off the defroster, the effect goes away. It doesn't bother me, as I can still see well enough out the window. I could be wrong, but I think it is a sign that the defroster in the window is pretty powerful. Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

Is your window tinted or not (and if so with what)? Even if it's not tinted, if the effect is not there (or greatly reduced at least) that is something I may need to consider. I would be much happier I think if the effect only happened with the defroster on.

Is your window tinted or not (and if so with what)? Even if it's not tinted, if the effect is not there (or greatly reduced at least) that is something I may need to consider. I would be much happier I think if the effect only happened with the defroster on.

My window is not tinted, but I do plan on tinting with Xpel Prime XR Plus in about 2 weeks. I only see this effect when the defroster is on. It goes away within 2 or 3 minutes after I turn off the defroster.

Reactions: EfficientWatts
My experience is not speed dependent. Only factor that determines whether or not this occurs is whether or not the defroster is on or off, regardless of speed. Hope that helps.

hahaha whoops i see what i typed.

I meant to refer to the darkness of the tint/VLT (like XPEL PRIME XR Plus 55, 45, etc.)

small edit: for those who said they have the issue without tint, is it situational (like defroster on?) or is it just not as bad as those with thicker tints (google for examples?)

hahaha whoops i see what i typed.

I meant to refer to the darkness of the tint/VLT (like XPEL PRIME XR Plus 55, 45, etc.)

small edit: for those who said they have the issue without tint, is it situational (like defroster on?) or is it just not as bad as those with thicker tints (google for examples?)

I hope to have the Xpel Prime XR Plus installed in 2 weeks. Feel free to PM me anytime and I can let you know.

Reactions: EfficientWatts