Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lightning to USB-C Cable Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note the USB cable only allows you to charge your phone, not play music (at least with an iPhone). While the "dock mechanism" requires a 90° plug (sold on Tesla shop), you can still use any USB cable you already have, it just won't be "docked". There's enough space to pass the wire to the phone between the console lid and the place where you put your phone. That's what I'm doing for now, as I only charge my phone once in a while... until I get a wireless charger mat, or Tesla allows Media playback through USB with an iPhone.

That sucks... I would have gotten a wireless charging pad but none of our phones (still using pixel 1) have that function. So, what else is missing on this SR+ as supposed to what was included for my LR? Floor mats, homelink module, nema 14-50 adaptor, and now the USB cables....?

That sucks... I would have gotten a wireless charging pad but none of our phones (still using pixel 1) have that function. So, what else is missing on this SR+ as supposed to what was included for my LR? Floor mats, homelink module, nema 14-50 adaptor, and now the USB cables....?
You'll get heated rear seats until an update takes that away from you. Also the sound system is nerfed, and you won't get satelite visuals on the maps display.

You'll get heated rear seats until an update takes that away from you. Also the sound system is nerfed, and you won't get satelite visuals on the maps display.
I think those features are expected as SR+ cost significant less than the LR back then. I'm just surprised that they cut cost by taking away the little things that would probably cost Tesla less than a few hundred dollars to produce...

Only difference in sound system I've heard about is the missing sub in the trunk and maybe a set of speaker on the side.

As for the "missing" mats and cable, it does make sense as everyone need a different solution. Why bother giving USB-C cable if what you need is micro-USB or lightning? Don't give any and let the buyer get the one he need (if he need one). Same goes for mats. Some wants carpet, other standard all weather, some weathertech style mats...

I think those features are expected as SR+ cost significant less than the LR back then. I'm just surprised that they cut cost by taking away the little things that would probably cost Tesla less than a few hundred dollars to produce...
Automobile margins are very tight compared to other manufactured goods. A few hundred dollars could be the difference between making or losing money on every car produced. It's one of the toughest industries to get a foothold in and it's a small miracle that Tesla is still going relatively strong.

Automobile margins are very tight compared to other manufactured goods. A few hundred dollars could be the difference between making or losing money on every car produced. It's one of the toughest industries to get a foothold in and it's a small miracle that Tesla is still going relatively strong.
It isn't a small miracle when the market is giving you a ~US$47B valuation despite not making money.