Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Likelyhood of bending 20 inch performance wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's agree to disagree on whether the Model 3 (which is available in various trims with 18, 19, or 20 inch rims) has a significantly higher GVWR than other vehicles in its class such as the BMW 4 series/M4 (which is also available in various trims with 18, 19, or 20) rims. I'll concede that if it were substantially heavier, then it's worth taking into consideration when choosing a rim and tire.

I think we are both in agreement that a larger rim with a lower profile tire will be somewhat more susceptible to damage than a small rim with a taller tire on the same car.

I still don't agree that the stock wheels are "cheap" relative to the wheels other manufactures provide, and I'm satisfied with the 20" wheel from Tesla, but I'll admit those Forged wheels you linked to look great and seem like a good price. If I ever order a second set of wheels I'll keep them in mind.

I agree they aren't cheap per se at $730 each, they are just cast, which is a low cost manufacturing method for a wheel, which must be generating huge profits for Tesla.

I still don't agree that the stock wheels are "cheap" relative to the wheels other manufactures provide, and I'm satisfied with the 20" wheel from Tesla, but I'll admit those Forged wheels you linked to look great and seem like a good price. If I ever order a second set of wheels I'll keep them in mind.

All that really matters is that you are satisfied with what you have. We both agree that more rubber provides more protection for your wheels in whatever size you get and the weight of the car and the wheel don't help in a high stress impact like a pothole. I suspect you can file an insurance claim (Collision) and then get whatever you want afterwards even with a damaged wheel/tire/suspension.

I'm just trying to give people the knowledge so they don't blow thousands of dollars, like I did as an early adopter, and deal with the inconvenience that comes with it. In my house my wife acts like the TPMS sensor lighting up is a DEFCON 3 event, God forbid she got a flat, we would move to DEFCON 1!

Reactions: MightyThings
I live in the bay area as well and also try to avoid potholes, but I still had 2 rims mildly bent. Still usable, but slightly bent. I felt like it's a matter of time, so once I needed new tires, I went ahead and got new forged wheels.

I've been driving on 20's for the past 6 years now with my previous cars (BMW's with factory 20's) on 35 and 30-series tires. Haven't had any issues with potholes bending or breaking any wheels or blowing out any tires. My bigger issue is how many nails & screws I pick up driving around the LA area.

I'm again running 20's, this time on my Model 3, but like my previous cars I keep a spare set of wheels in case I need to swap them on to continue driving the car. Usually this is only needed when I had to order a new pair of tires that couldn't be patched from a nail, and that usually took a few days to get and then another few days to fit the appointment in with my work schedule.

From what I've seen, a lot of the people bending their 20" performance wheels had their cars on auto pilot, so they may not have seen the pothole until it was to late. I like driving my cars and don't like using AP, so I'm more cautious about the road conditions and where I steer my car on the bad roads here in LA.

BTW, the only times I've ever bent a rim was on a BMW with factory 18" wheels, hitting a pothole really hard on the freeway, and it even messed up my run-flat tire. The other time was bending a 19" rim on a NSX driving on Mulholland by hitting a pothole, but those rims were soft forged junk to begin with and fortunately I was still able to drive on it. Just the inner lip was bent.

Reactions: Watts_Up