Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Charging - due to cold temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the battery warm as it charges?
Yes. Not all the way to no regen dots at least in this weather. I had the snowflake icon go away at work and at home after recharging. And you get some regen back. I don't think it runs the heater unless it has to at the beginning when charging rate is slower. More that charging naturally heats the battery. I've read that running preconditioning while plugged in heats the battery.

You can tell because as it charges the battery percentage and rated km converge. For example it will be snowflake icon and 50% battery but 220km instead of 250km. And as it heats rated km will go closer to the actual percentage. And rated km will increase a bit faster than stated charge rate.

I’ve been plugged in charging for 2+ hours and getting 25km/h when I would normally get 73.

Yeah I noticed this last night while visiting a friend in Ohio. We were charging at 18 amps (about 4kW) on a 20 amp circuit, temperature was 0°F and we only added 50% over the course of 11-12 hours. It pulled about 45 kWh out of the wall but only added 35 kWh to the battery. The rest was lost keeping the battery warm during charging, which is a pretty darn good reason to install a larger circuit if you can. The less time you spend charging, the less time you spend heating the battery so that it’s warm enough to charge.

are you getting 16A or more or less?

If its 16A exactly it's a problem with the charge port lock
Also battery should take an hour or less to heat (at least that was my experience today)
It’s 16A. Normally 48A. What’s the solution?

I went out and unplugged it. Plugged back in and now I’m at 48A getting 60km/h of charge. I’ll warch to see if that drops

Last edited:
It’s 16A. Normally 48A. What’s the solution?
Charging port or locking pin are frozen. If it doesn't lock the cable properly it limits to 16A. I think try removing and plugging cable back in. If that fails hair blower/dryer or heat gun to the charge port. Possibly folding down the rear seat and blasting climate on hi might work too.

Edit: If it fails to lock the charge port light should go orange amber instead of green so do it until it goes green when charging.

Here is the solution:
I did call Tesla and explained the symptoms (Limited Charging - due to cold temperature). They booked the mobile tech. Within 72 hours I received his email to confirm the time and location for the repair.
New Charge Port Installed (Cold Weather Version)

Apparently they have only 500 of this part for Canadian owners. The part replacement took about 30 minutes.
What were the symptoms of your issue? For me when I charge outdoors in the cold on 120v itll charge for a bit and then drop to 0 kph even though its still drawing power. In the end I'll get like 50% charging efficiency. Is this the same as what you were experiencing or is my car just using the energy to heat the battery?

Here is the solution:
I did call Tesla and explained the symptoms (Limited Charging - due to cold temperature). They booked the mobile tech. Within 72 hours I received his email to confirm the time and location for the repair.
New Charge Port Installed (Cold Weather Version)

Apparently they have only 500 of this part for Canadian owners. The part replacement took about 30 minutes.
Do you just call the regular number?

What were the symptoms of your issue? For me when I charge outdoors in the cold on 120v itll charge for a bit and then drop to 0 kph even though its still drawing power. In the end I'll get like 50% charging efficiency. Is this the same as what you were experiencing or is my car just using the energy to heat the battery?

I think the symptom is the port glows orange/amber and you're limited to 16 amps since the cable doesn't properly lock. I don't think it would affect 120V though as that's limited to 12A already.