Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Charging Error Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Tesla-certified electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outdoor box on a 40 amp circuit this morning. Picked up my car this afternoon, and when I plugged it in, got an error "Charging Cable may not be plugged in correctly" and max out at 16 amps/231 V. Is my panel overloaded or did the electrician possibly mess it up somehow?

I went to a regular Tesla charging station as well as a SuperCharger and verified charging speed was as expected and no error messages. The charging cable was definitely seated correctly, I tried re-seating multiple times.

I had a Tesla-certified electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outdoor box on a 40 amp circuit this morning. Picked up my car this afternoon, and when I plugged it in, got an error "Charging Cable may not be plugged in correctly" and max out at 16 amps/231 V. Is my panel overloaded or did the electrician possibly mess it up somehow?

I went to a regular Tesla charging station as well as a SuperCharger and verified charging speed was as expected and no error messages. The charging cable was definitely seated correctly, I tried re-seating multiple times.

I wouldn't trust your electrician. A NEMA 14-50 is supposed to be on a 50A breaker (that's what the "50" in the name implies). If he got this wrong, it's possible he got the wiring wrong too. Don't use it until you have it checked by a licensed electrician.

This error is caused by the Mobile Connector cord not mating properly into the car. Because the car can not confirm the connector is locked in properly it limits charging current as to reduce the arc flash potential if you pulled out the connector under load.

Something is wrong with your mobile connector or the charging port. Contact Tesla. In the meantime, check the connector and charging port for any foreign objects or debris. Try inserting it differently and see if you can’t get it to latch.

I should also note that while the install is code compliant on a 40a circuit (since the UMC gen 2 will only draw 32a max continuous), it is disappointing. I generally only install 50a circuits for 14-50 receptacles as I want to be future proof and I don’t want someone else plugging in a 40a EVSE (which requires a 50a circuit) and melting something.