Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Little (and big) software changes that would make a big difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cool thing about the M3 is the car can be improved over wifi after purchase. Now that I have 2000miles on mine here are a few software changes that I think would make a big difference:

1. This one would solve all - make the interface customizable. In theory they could let you decide what each button and toggle does and let you choose which icon are where on the screen. There would lots of little tweaks I would make.

2. Make the Auto Windshield wipers more aggressive AND use a button on the stock or steering wheel to control manual setting. This #1 for me as it is safety issue in the rain

3. Allow you to open doors from the touch screen. No one seems to know how to get in. I am stuck being a real gentleman and opening the door for everyone that gets a ride with me.

4. Integrate my iPhone better. Siri works way better than Tesla voice commands for everything I do. I would love to see CarPlay added as I find Siri works way better at getting directions to thing than arguing with the Tesla AI. As a result of this I end using my iPhone to navigate rather than that big beautiful screen built in.

Multitouch gesture based controls, preferably customizable. Using two/three fingers to swipe up and down or left and right to adjust fan speed, for example. Or using the gestures to change regen to low/standard would be nice (currently I put the car into neutral for when I want to coast before switching to drive to engage regen when coming to stopped traffic/a traffic light.

Change the airflow color on the AC UI to red or blue depending on if it is heating/cooling. If it is fan only, then the current color is fine.

On the bottom left of the UI, where the trip odometers and since last charge stats are, the total mileage odometer scrolls up with the others, and is at the bottom. Make the total mileage odometer always visible at the bottom of the UI in that corner, then let the other meters scroll independently of it.

Minor Changes:
  • Increase the font size for miles to go on battery and miles to go on nav. These are WAY too small to read at a glance.
  • Add an icon to the door button so people know how to get out of the car.
  • Fix the autosteer nag so you just have to touch the wheel, not wiggle it with force.
  • Configurable wiper settings and configurable wiper button
  • Allow all superchargers to be visible when navigating (Nav hides intermediate stations, no idea why).
  • Show Level 2 and other public charging stations (perhaps from Plugshare) - especially when near a nav destination.
  • Configurable pause vs. ducking for audiobook playback when the nav needs to talk. As is, nav just talks over the audiobook.
  • Configurable setting to activate Siri or Tesla assistant as default
  • Camping mode
  • Pet minder mode - with a sign on the screen notifying passers by that "pet mode is activated"
Medium Changes:
  • Integrate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It's silly to need a phone mount on a car this advanced.
  • Add a manual glove box button with a software lock.
  • Reverse camera window on at all times (via split screen or floating window)
  • Speed limit sign recognition via cameras with automatic updating to the master database
  • Fix the USB audio wonkiness...
  • Better recognition of driver for automatic seat settings (ours is frequently confused)
  • Quick way to deactivate autosteer without needing to fight for control of the wheel.
  • Listing of currently available spaces at superchargers - perhaps with a number next to the map icon.
  • Allow multiple UI skins or configurable UI colors.
  • Auto close windows if rain is detected.
  • Adjust audio volume with detected noise - or at least with speed
Big Changes:
  • API for third-party apps
  • A functional web browser
  • Selectable routes in the nav
  • 360 camera view when parking/backing/maneuvering at slow speeds
  • Multiple camera dashcam recording
  • Dashcam "pre-record" buffer for all cameras when the vehicle detects glass breaking or being hit in the parking lot
  • Fix autosteer "wide lane" issues on off-ramps, lane splits, etc
  • Active noice cancellation/reduction to minimize road/tire noise

Last edited:
Good list of improvements.

These might help:

• Fix the autosteer nag so you just have to touch the wheel, not wiggle it with force. - Use either scroll wheels, volume up and down, etc.
  • Listing of currently available spaces at superchargers - perhaps with a number next to the map icon. -latest update gives green availability bars in the map screen for open spots

Another for the minor change category: put the artist and album name on separate lines. There's a gap between that line and the playback position bar below it. Adjust the font sizes down a bit if needed. But it just irks me to see the album name cut off with an ellipsis if it's more than a couple of words long.

I would like an easy way to report the wrong speed limit... It is wrong a lot and with autopilot limited to 5MPH over on single lane roads, it is annoying. Perhaps an icon by the speed limit sign to tap when it is wrong and it sends a report in to Tesla to verify. With enough crowd sourcing, it should allow all the glitches to be fixed quickly.

Reactions: RedModel3
I would like an easy way to report the wrong speed limit... It is wrong a lot and with autopilot limited to 5MPH over on single lane roads, it is annoying. Perhaps an icon by the speed limit sign to tap when it is wrong and it sends a report in to Tesla to verify. With enough crowd sourcing, it should allow all the glitches to be fixed quickly.

I do a bug report every time I see a wrong speed limit - it feels as effective as the "door close" button on elevators.

These might help:

• Fix the autosteer nag so you just have to touch the wheel, not wiggle it with force. - Use either scroll wheels, volume up and down, etc.
  • Listing of currently available spaces at superchargers - perhaps with a number next to the map icon. -latest update gives green availability bars in the map screen for open spots
I didn't know about the green bars - that's great! I'll look for them.

I did know about the Vol +/- but if I hold my hands as illustrated in the Tesla video, I need to move my hand( off the wheel to get to the scroll wheel. As of now, I've found a position to place my elbow on the window and "hang" my hand on the wheel. It's not very comfortable, but the nags go away.

Another minor change I’d like: place the home link icon and the dash cam icon further away from one another, preferably placing one on the right and one on the left of the screen. I’ve clipped several fascinating scenes of me pulling up to my house and driving into my garage due to my fat fingers, but I feel that I’ve got enough of those videos now.

These might help:

Scroll wheels already stop the nag. There’s no way to change it so just touching the wheel does anything since there are no sensors in the steering wheel.