Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Live Oak, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1325.JPG IMG_1327.JPG
agreed, a savings of at least 20 minutes of drive time in order to divert to lake city is a great thing for those of us who drive I 10 here.

The Superchargers are close to being ready. I needed them this past weekend to avoid Lake City but no such luck.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
OK thanks for blasting me about the "Much Needed" lol. How about I am "really Happy" about it?? Also, I agree more superchargers down south are MUCH NEEDED! Happy?

Not making the trip down to Lake City when headed East or West on 10 is awesome!

That's fine. I think having an I-10 centric charger and an I-75 centric charger at that interchange is a good idea. I just think it is something that is less important - and therefore, should occur later - than, for example, chargers in Miami.

Long term I would hope Tesla and/or competitors do more Live Oak/Lake City type charging layouts. Obviously saving time when charging on highway trips is better than not saving time.

I just think it is something that is less important - and therefore, should occur later - than, for example, chargers in Miami.
We only have the 60,000-foot view of the Supercharger network landscape and as a result it is natural to be tempted to criticize Tesla when they don't install our favorite Supercharger Stations as soon as we would like. Unfortunately, we don't have the full picture and lack visibility of the “boots-on-the-ground”, real-world local constraints and difficulties that the Tesla team faces in locating suitable locations, negotiating leases, obtaining local permits, etc.

I happen to agree with you, that in a perfect world the Miami area would have received a Supercharger Station sooner rather than later. However, just because other stations are being installed in advance of the Miami locations, we should not jump to the conclusion that they were deliberately given a higher priority due to poor planning decisions. Rather Tesla is to be commended for having the foresight to actually be planning two Supercharger Stations in the Miami area. Whereas, I too have been disappointed by the order in which certain Supercharger Stations have been installed, nevertheless, overall I have been pleased with the progress that Tesla has demonstrated in installing Supercharger Stations in Florida.

Larry

Last edited:
We only have the 60,000-foot view of the Supercharger network landscape and as a result it is natural to be tempted to criticize Tesla when they don't install our favorite Supercharger Stations as soon as we would like. Unfortunately, we don't have the full picture and lack visibility of the “boots-on-the-ground”, real-world local constraints and difficulties that the Tesla team faces in locating suitable locations, negotiating leases, obtaining local permits, etc.

I happen to agree with you, that in a perfect world the Miami area would have received a Supercharger Station sooner rather than later. However, just because other stations are being installed in advance of the Miami locations, we should not jump to the conclusion that they were deliberately given a higher priority due to poor planning decisions. Rather Tesla is to be commended for having the foresight to actually be planning two Supercharge Stations in the Miami area. Whereas, I too have been disappointed by the order in which certain Supercharger Stations have been installed, nevertheless, overall I have been pleased with the progress that Tesla has demonstrated in installing Supercharger Stations in Florida.

Larry
while Tesla may want to put two locations in miami, actually doing all the necessary work isn't all that simple. first a site needs to be found, agreements between the property owner and tesla needs to be worked out. as we all should know miami is a dense congested place with high land values and cost considerations play a big part of locating the SpCs.
After a site is found and all the agreements are settled then there is governmental review and permitting which can be a very time consuming and expensive burden.
the bottom line is that it is far easier to get a SpC up and running in a rural and less expensive location than it is to place one in a place like miami.

Reactions: Larry Chanin
while Tesla may want to put two locations in miami, actually doing all the necessary work isn't all that simple. first a site needs to be found, agreements between the property owner and tesla needs to be worked out. as we all should know miami is a dense congested place with high land values and cost considerations play a big part of locating the SpCs.
After a site is found and all the agreements are settled then there is governmental review and permitting which can be a very time consuming and expensive burden.
the bottom line is that it is far easier to get a SpC up and running in a rural and less expensive location than it is to place one in a place like miami.
Exactly.

Larry

This location is down. The following was reported in a Facebook group by an area owner:

"... just pulled into Live Oak, FL SC about 30 mins ago [2:30pm ET] and said it was closed. Yellow tape around the units. ... He said his Tesla Nav says 12 of 12 available at Live Oak. ... Some workers inside of that area. He “thinks” they were working on the pedestals. When he called Tesla they had no clue it was shut down."

Fortunately this is one of those rare SC locations with another one nearby -- Lake City.

• Informative
Reactions: Racerx22b
I stopped in Live Oak to charge yesterday, after an easy drive from Kingsland, GA. This Busy Bee was a bit of a nightmare at 3pm on Sunday, 10/14 — the day many people were returning home to the Florida Panhandle after Hurricane evacuation. The place was mobbed with a 40+ car line for gasoline. That meant numerous ICEd charging slots since they are close to the entrances, the lot was very full, and the signage suggests it’s okay to park in the charging area for 30 minutes. There were 12 stalls and only 1 or 2 other Teslas while I was there. It is probably slightly faster than going to Lake City for travelers on I-10, but be prepared for a nuts parking lot and difficulty getting to the charging stations from the single driveway entrance if there are many cars lined up to get petrol.

I wondered why this location is sited so close to Lake City, but I-10 and I-75 is quite a major intersection with many travelers going in all directions and I suppose eagerness to host a Supercharger is part of the process of securing locations. Judging by the Busy Bee operation, I bet they were psyched to get Tesla drivers stopping there for 30-45 minutes.