Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner vehicle and holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 18 month old Model 3 which has had 2 separate battery alerts, first not charging fully and having limited range, then not charging at all. Tesla MK have taken the vehicle in to replace the high voltage battery and given us an old model 3 loaner because it's covered by warranty.

Problem is that the battery replacement is going to take three weeks and we go on a pre booked driving holiday in France and Spain in 1 week. Warranty agreement says we can't take loaner out of the country, unless by Tesla's discretion, and Tesla MK says no.

Travel insurance and motor insurance both say they don't cover it. To hire an equivalent car for the holiday would cost nearly £3k. No idea what to do, any suggestions?

Someone on here yesterday (think the topic was “are all service centres this bad” or words to that effect) and they are in a similar situation. They got authority to take their car overseas on their planned holiday from Sheffield tesla.

Someone on here yesterday (think the topic was “are all service centres this bad” or words to that effect) and they are in a similar situation. They got authority to take their car overseas on their planned holiday from Sheffield tesla.
Ah great, thanks, well I can answer the question posed that they are not all this good, cos clearly Sheffield says Yes and MK says No.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I mean, it sucks but can you not reschedule the trip and claim it back on your holiday insurance? Its a bit last resort but if MK are not budging and you don't want to spend 3k on a rental, it might be your only option unfortunately.

I have an 18 month old Model 3 which has had 2 separate battery alerts, first not charging fully and having limited range, then not charging at all. Tesla MK have taken the vehicle in to replace the high voltage battery and given us an old model 3 loaner because it's covered by warranty.

Problem is that the battery replacement is going to take three weeks and we go on a pre booked driving holiday in France and Spain in 1 week. Warranty agreement says we can't take loaner out of the country, unless by Tesla's discretion, and Tesla MK says no.

Travel insurance and motor insurance both say they don't cover it. To hire an equivalent car for the holiday would cost nearly £3k. No idea what to do, any suggestions?
Can you appeal to a higher authority? as in do Tesla MK have the final word? if other Service centres are allowing it then maybe you could speak to someone at Tesla UK not from MK?

how long is your holiday? 3K = £200 per day if its two weeks . Do you really need a £200 per day car. could you get away with something lesser? or do you know anyone who might loan you a car?

As for cost of hire, the point is it's for a replacement equivalent car. This is a 50k car that is 18 months old not working through no fault of our own, and is covered by warranty, so we should be able to get a replacement that is equal to it. Tesla UK say it's down to service centres. It's just over 2 week holiday, and I don't want it to come down to us hiring a car, trying to get a solution that doesn't involve that, my point is, it's down to Tesla so they should cover the costs.

it's down to Tesla so they should cover the costs.

Consequential loss isn't it?

You get a taxi to the airport, he's slow and you miss your flight ... limit of his liability is the cost of the journey to the airport, not the cost of your consequential loss of the missed flight.

I agree that the inconsistency isn't helpful, but if it is actually down to each service centre's discretion? then that's what it is.

I'm actually surprised that they would provided overseas use of loaners and free Supercharger access - unless it was a customer service issue and they had mucked-up and that was the compensation.

Last edited:
Reactions: WllXM
I have been in the same situation with a different brand in the past.

To me that’s a matter for your breakdown cover if you have any, that’s what they are for, not manufacturer warranty.

Even if the car fault is frustrating, and you could/should request a form of compensation from Tesla, that would be a goodwill gesture from them, they’re not liable for the consequential loss indeed.

a matter for your breakdown cover

I went to get my flight home ... an airline of not much repute, but I was young and it was cheap ...

Plane had left 9 hours early. Foreign minister, of that country, needed "the plane" to attend a meeting. Loads of people in similar boat milling around the departure hall ...

Claimed on my insurance. "Flight was not delayed Sir" ... o_O

I have breakdown cover, but the car was drivable to the service centre, so they deal with it. There is also Tesla emergency breakdown if you don't manage to get to the service centre. The car is 18 months old. Battery is specifically covered by warranty so it's a warranty issue. Legal advice I have had is that incidental losses could be covered, not by the warranty, but in a claim for breach of sale with the seller. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be resolved.

I went to get my flight home ... an airline of not much repute, but I was young and it was cheap ...

Plane had left 9 hours early. Foreign minister, of that country, needed "the plane" to attend a meeting. Loads of people in similar boat milling around the departure hall ...

Claimed on my insurance. "Flight was not delayed Sir" ... o_O
Must have been a long time ago indeed because now with EU261 / UK law any flight departing more than 1 hour early is equivalent to a cancellation in terms of passenger rights.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sounds like MK might help you out after all. Good luck.

I had a less significant challenge earlier this year where I had failure of the rear motor and was provided (impressively quickly) a Tesla loaner which came with contractual terms such as the distance you can cover and the requirement to return within 24hours of your car being ready for collection. I was only travelling to Manchester (200miles) for a week but both these clauses were going to be an issue. West Drayton SC told me it was fine to ignore those clauses and take the car on my planned trip. Much smaller exception than you’re hoping for but principal the same.

I hope you get to take the car and enjoy the holiday. Getting free charging would be a nice bonus.