Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location-aware automatic garage door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was going thru the check order this morning from the prepare for delivery I saw nothing about
Location-aware automatic garage door opener. That’s something I really want. I’m going from an X to a Y but there’s only so many features of the X I can give up. They better either include or have an option to purchase or I will just keep my X and get a new X when the new battery packs come out and hopefully an interior and exterior refresh. I just want a new Tesla with the newest tech.

When I was going thru the check order this morning from the prepare for delivery I saw nothing about
Location-aware automatic garage door opener. That’s something I really want. I’m going from an X to a Y but there’s only so many features of the X I can give up. They better either include or have an option to purchase or I will just keep my X and get a new X when the new battery packs come out and hopefully an interior and exterior refresh. I just want a new Tesla with the newest tech.

Homelink is included in MY.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
It's in the model 3 so should also be available in model y
The Homelink transmitter is not in all Model 3s. For most of them built in 2019+, it is an add-on that requires a service center visit and costs somewhere around $300 plus tax: Automatic Garage Opener
Our 3 2018 Model 3s came with the Homelink transmitter. Our two 2019 Model 3s did not include the Homelink transmitter.

It should be included in the Model Y since it is specifically listed.

Reactions: house9
So I just checked the configuration again and now the home link is not included. Very sad. $70k and no homelink is ridiculous.

I swear I saw it in the list in the Model Y page yesterday. Now it's gone. :(

I guess it will be a $300 add-on just like M3.

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-27_10-21-47.png
    upload_2020-2-27_10-21-47.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 128
  • y.jpg
    y.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 89
I saw it got removed in the ordering page but was kept in under the introduction page for model Y once I expanded the list. I even took a screenshot as attached. Now it got removed the introduction page. To be fair, I don't see this feature for Model S either so it got removed doesn't mean much.

Attachments

• Tesla Included Features.JPG
    Tesla Included Features.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Anyone that doesn't have homelink and/or location-aware homelink can utilize location-based automation on their phone to control their garage door. If you don't have a smart/IoT garage door opener, adding an internet gateway is cheap and easy - and can be used outside the car as well.

Anyone that doesn't have homelink and/or location-aware homelink can utilize location-based automation on their phone to control their garage door. If you don't have a smart/IoT garage door opener, adding an internet gateway is cheap and easy - and can be used outside the car as well.

Which App or program?

I was just looking at this tonight- IFTTT, Alexa, Google...will close on command but NOT open, some say due to avoiding liability in opening garage remotely.

My solution so far - geofence will open my garage door opener App, then I just push "open" when arriving. Not so good for closing remotely because the device beeps loudly for 20 seconds - esp at 0400 AM. :(

Or, just use the handy dandy remote controller that clips to the sun visor :eek:

The Homelink transmitter is not in all Model 3s. For most of them built in 2019+, it is an add-on that requires a service center visit and costs somewhere around $300 plus tax: Automatic Garage Opener
Our 3 2018 Model 3s came with the Homelink transmitter. Our two 2019 Model 3s did not include the Homelink transmitter.

It should be included in the Model Y since it is specifically listed.

Added it to a 3 and was a home service visit, and seemed like a pretty trivial job. (Of course any expert makes their job look easy but it was more about knowing your way behind the frunk tub than anything else)

Which App or program?

I was just looking at this tonight- IFTTT, Alexa, Google...will close on command but NOT open, some say due to avoiding liability in opening garage remotely.

My solution so far - geofence will open my garage door opener App, then I just push "open" when arriving. Not so good for closing remotely because the device beeps loudly for 20 seconds - esp at 0400 AM. :(

Or, just use the handy dandy remote controller that clips to the sun visor :eek:

I’ve added the MyQ gateways to my doors and created iOS shortcuts. I haven’t played with geofencing but it should be possible. Both open and close works.

I’ve modified my gateway by removing the speaker so as not to annoyingly beep before closing.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
I’ve added the MyQ gateways to my doors and created iOS shortcuts. I haven’t played with geofencing but it should be possible. Both open and close works.

I’ve modified my gateway by removing the speaker so as not to annoyingly beep before closing.
I also have the myQ app. The app also notifies me with an alert anytime my garage door is opened or closed. When I am not sure if the the garage is closed or not, I use the app.