Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did model x get self presenting doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it only became standard in 2018. Before that you had buy the premium package to get it.
Interesting. We just automatically bought the premium package for both our 2017 and 2018, so didn't even think about it. Without the package could you still open the doors through the screen/app/fob (i.e. driver/passenger door actuators)? If so it seems like it would just be a software thing - not sure if Tesla has a price for just that feature.

Without the package could you still open the doors through the screen/app/fob (i.e. driver/passenger door actuators)?

Yup. Without the package, everything is the same except the door doesn't automatically open when the fob approaches.

This was not clear in the package description back in 2017...I thought we would lose a lot of functionality by not getting the package, but we ended up missing out on very little. My wife would never have wanted to auto-door-open feature turned on anyway.

This was not clear in the package description back in 2017...
What do you mean? One of the line items for the premium package was literally "self presenting door" or something to that effect (might've said driver, surely had different case, etc). Without that package, the door doesn't open on its own / by its self, it requires prompting (a button press somewhere).

ETA: I guess this could have changed at some point, because my premium package didn't include premium audio and later premium packages did, but it seems unlikely to me that the premium package didn't always have a line item list.

I guess this could have changed at some point, because my premium package didn't include premium audio and later premium packages did
My September 2017 model X with the premium upgrade package does not have the premium sound system nor the winter package (no heated steering wheel 😢). We do have the self-presenting door, which is something I thought I would turn off but I like it a lot. It was our first Tesla purchase, and what we didn’t understand at the time was how frequently Tesla changes things around. It was a demo with the PUP. At that time, PUP was defined for new orders as having these features; what was included in the PUP had changed. So that is one route of why it was confusing for us.

My September 2017 model X with the premium upgrade package does not have the premium sound system nor the winter package (no heated steering wheel 😢). We do have the self-presenting door, which is something I thought I would turn off but I like it a lot. It was our first Tesla purchase, and what we didn’t understand at the time was how frequently Tesla changes things around. It was a demo with the PUP. At that time, PUP was defined for new orders as having these features; what was included in the PUP had changed. So that is one route of why it was confusing for us.
Well, that's certainly confusing. I got mine in September 2017 as well. Premium upgrade package, and it does have the premium sound system and winter package (pretty much a requirement by the wife :) ). It wasn't a demo, but was already made. When I ordered mine they offered it up since it matched everything on my list.

What do you mean? One of the line items for the premium package was literally "self presenting door" or something to that effect (might've said driver, surely had different case, etc). Without that package, the door doesn't open on its own / by its self, it requires prompting (a button press somewhere).

Yes, that part was clear - no premium package, no self-presenting door.

What I meant was that it wasn't clear if you would lose more than that without the package, such as the ability of the driver's door to close when you tap the brake pedal. All of the electronic door functions were described in the premium package description along with the self-presenting feature.

Reactions: Bigriver
On mine, (which is on 2023.44.30.8) it is under Settings::Locks::Automatic Doors
I guess there's more of a difference in the screens than I expected. I'm on 2023.44.30.14 and mine is under "Vehicle" (I don't have a different Locks tab). Mine is the same model year as Riceball777, so maybe it has to do with screen orientation and other hardware. At any rate, I think we've established that the original buyer of their car in 2017 didn't get the self-presenting door option.

Reactions: Bigriver
Yes, that part was clear - no premium package, no self-presenting door.

What I meant was that it wasn't clear if you would lose more than that without the package, such as the ability of the driver's door to close when you tap the brake pedal. All of the electronic door functions were described in the premium package description along with the self-presenting feature.
Ouch, I'm honestly just learning this. I've never turned off automatic doors, but it sounds like if I did, they wouldn't be automatic. Sounds expected in that regard, but arguably the verbiage "self-presenting" should have been "automatic" if all automatic functions were tied to the package.

ETA: Actually, I did turn off automatic doors and couldn't open them with the fob, so promptly turned it back on without ever trying to close them with the brake. That's why I quickly learned that passive entry was what I wanted to disable. Now I'm wondering if OP can open and close doors with the fob, that part arguably shouldn't be considered "automatic" but instead "electronic" and it is possible that Tesla has changed it since 2017.