Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to fear. There is a device in the interior of the car.... it is called a "door handle." Basically you pull this "door handle" and the door will open.

If you call mobile service and hear snickering, they will then remotely unlock it.... you will feel made fun of.... but not to worry.... you can go online and start a thread about how you almost died in a hot car.

Diagnosis from the shop: internal cable became lodged or locked and disabled interior door handle during powerdown. Passenger side was operational. Central 12 V battery tested faulty. Key fob lost communication CECU with vehicle and created the scenario originally posted here.

I’d like to thank everyone for your comments. Some of them useful and others very immature and unnecessary. For those of you condescending arrogant types who think they know everything and probably were bullied as kids, you should consider Using these forums for an education and not to belittle or laugh at other members for posting. Your level of education is demonstrated by your comments alone. You precipitate clearly amongst the true intellectuals. Many irresponsible adults leave children and pets inside cars who may not be “so smart”. I was under the impression this forum was created for the purpose of disseminating information useful to make Teslas the greatest vehicles out there. Apparently it’s for the amusement of small group of morons.

I considered posting this because I am furious that a $117,000 vehicle has been in the shop 4 times since it was purchased on May 29, 2019. I love the car but I haven’t been having the best of luck in the first 40 days of ownership.

Special thanks to the folks in the service center. Very understanding people. They’ve done everything they could so far.

Diagnosis from the shop: internal cable became lodged or locked and disabled interior door handle during powerdown. Passenger side was operational. Central 12 V battery tested faulty. Key fob lost communication CECU with vehicle and created the scenario originally posted here.

I’d like to thank everyone for your comments. Some of them useful and others very immature and unnecessary. For those of you condescending arrogant types who think they know everything and probably were bullied as kids, you should consider Using these forums for an education and not to belittle or laugh at other members for posting. Your level of education is demonstrated by your comments alone. You precipitate clearly amongst the true intellectuals. Many irresponsible adults leave children and pets inside cars who may not be “so smart”. I was under the impression this forum was created for the purpose of disseminating information useful to make Teslas the greatest vehicles out there. Apparently it’s for the amusement of small group of morons.

I considered posting this because I am furious that a $117,000 vehicle has been in the shop 4 times since it was purchased on May 29, 2019. I love the car but I haven’t been having the best of luck in the first 40 days of ownership.

Special thanks to the folks in the service center. Very understanding people. They’ve done everything they could so far.

First of all, you have to understand that us TMC'ers have been the victim of several absurd threads started by people who log on to sew discontent in a big scheme to tank tesla's stock... leaving us all with a bankrupt company ... FSD never fully delivered.... we would be screwed.... but now that you describe it more, you sound legit... so I'm sorry for making fun.....

no need to go all aggro by reminding me that I was bullied as a kid. I mean... that's hurtful.... I was just a kid and lot's of 14 year olds have bladder control issues.

First of all, you have to understand that us TMC'ers have been the victim of several absurd threads started by people who log on to sew discontent in a big scheme to tank tesla's stock... leaving us all with a bankrupt company ... FSD never fully delivered.... we would be screwed.... but now that you describe it more, you sound legit... so I'm sorry for making fun.....

no need to go all aggro by reminding me that I was bullied as a kid. I mean... that's hurtful.... I was just a kid and lot's of 14 year olds have bladder control issues.

Thank you for your reply. My apologies as I did not intend on ruining tesla stock. All the contrary, I am a fan of the vehicle and I purchased it after the news that Tesla stock was dropping dramatically. I really believe this is a great company but with out our feedback they will not strive to fix things. I show my car off and flex with pride at every gas station I stop at for snacks.

1- I haven’t done enough digging but I heard one could suggest software upgrades or changes directly to Tesla engineers, can you help me with this link? I have a few thoughts.

2- A follow-up to the diagnosis: the battery was OK. The wire connecting the battery has a nut that was not tight. This was a matter of quality control during assembly, my airbag warning light came on 5 miles down the road when I took delivery. It was a loose clip connector that was not properly seated.

3- during the last service visit, the technician pinched my wheel and tire with a lift rack. They are replacing the tire and the wheel free of charge. They did not question my integrity.

@kraazak: thank you for the description of the systems in the vehicle. I Wish there was a better paper manual that could be read while inside your home with a cup of coffee containing “repair manual” like descriptions to better assist those of us who can interpret them. I found a PDF version online after the fact. I’ll go through it more thoroughly .

What a great company. I wish all other car dealers would respond as quickly as Tesla and politely as the people in the service department have for me.

To be fair, the sales team has a few things to improve on but the vehicle sells itself so you can have a deaf-mute mime helping you pick your car and the result would be the same. You would buy one anyway.

I’m about topped off at a supercharger and I must be on my way. Cheers

@kraazak: thank you for the description of the systems in the vehicle. I Wish there was a better paper manual that could be read while inside your home with a cup of coffee containing “repair manual” like descriptions to better assist those of us who can interpret them. I found a PDF version online after the fact. I’ll go through it more thoroughly .
You can subscribe to the Tesla online service manual but it isn't cheap so you might want to read fast!

Reactions: Kacdc
Ouch. I’ve owned mitchell repair manuals but you only pay once and you can look forever. Thank you!
If you look around on Ebay, you might be able to find bootleg/unauthorized versions that have been written to CD. They aren't up-to-date...and definitely aren't sanctioned by Tesla...but they do exist. We've never purchased one ourselves but we have been tempted once or twice when trying to figure out how to modify something in the car. We ended up doing the 24 hour subscription to find the necessary information.

If you look around on Ebay, you might be able to find bootleg/unauthorized versions that have been written to CD. They aren't up-to-date...and definitely aren't sanctioned by Tesla...but they do exist. We've never purchased one ourselves but we have been tempted once or twice when trying to figure out how to modify something in the car. We ended up doing the 24 hour subscription to find the necessary information.

I’d love to add led lights to the subfloor on the exterior and would like to tap into the 12V line at some point. Maybe a cigar power port is the least invasive. Shy of locating the battery (I haven’t wanted to start butchering stuff) but that might be a good source.