Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2019 model x 100. On July 1, 2019 at 5:30 PM I was locked inside of my model X for five minutes. Outside air temperature was approximately 103°F. The vehicle air-conditioner was disabled, several messages displayed that it was powering down- Power reduced, voltage supply to low, 39% remaining on the dash display. Contacted Tesla for service. Unable to drive vehicle. I was able to exit through the passenger door, the Falcon doors did open after several attempts. I was scared for my life. Rebooted the computer to no avail. After crawling out the passenger door , I was able to restore the car using the key fob with multiple attempts. I called Tesla roadside and they had nothing to say except send a tow truck. The vehicle was restored to drivable condition at 6:45 PM. What an experience of stark terror !!!!

See page 17 https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

"If Model X has no electrical power, the front doors open as usual using the interior door handles. To open the rear doors, carefully remove the speaker grille from the door and pull the mechanical release cable down and towards the front of the vehicle. After the latch is released, manually lift up the door".

The front doors should always open as it's a mechanical system, and the back doors have a mechanical override.

See page 17 https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

"If Model X has no electrical power, the front doors open as usual using the interior door handles. To open the rear doors, carefully remove the speaker grille from the door and pull the mechanical release cable down and towards the front of the vehicle. After the latch is released, manually lift up the door".

The front doors should always open as it's a mechanical system, and the back doors have a mechanical override.
Yah thread seems kinda funny ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

The manual doesn't say that the front doors should always open. It says they should open if there is no electrical power.

Many cars disable their interior door handles when locked to prevent car break-ins by pulling the handle with a wire.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
as @Alex Jaxkob pointed out, you do not need power to mechanically use the interior front door handles.

Rebooting might not work if the car was updating a firmware at that time.

The vehicle was not updating. The doorhandles do not seem to be mechanically connected to anything. The right hand door was jammed partially open and was forced open. Falcon doors opens after a few attempts. I bought the hammers yesterday. This is unacceptable.

Reactions: losangeles

I would like to see you try that in 112°F quickly rising in a sheer moment of panic. I’m sure you’re going to read your manual and pull out your Felix the cat bag and start working on the car. What kind of a reply is this??? People - the girl was trapped.

The powered windows of my former 2012 Model S and current 2017 Model X usually do not work unless the car's propulsion is on (apply brake to turn on propulsion).

The powered windows from my 2018 Model 3 seem to work reliably when stepping into the car without applying the brake to turn on the propulsion.

I think Tesla should keep the powered windows of all of its cars active when the accessory power present and not requiring the need for the "on" status of propulsion power.

That way, people can at least can climb through their S and X windows as needed in cases like this thread.

Not to fear. There is a device in the interior of the car.... it is called a "door handle." Basically you pull this "door handle" and the door will open.

If you call mobile service and hear snickering, they will then remotely unlock it.... you will feel made fun of.... but not to worry.... you can go online and start a thread about how you almost died in a hot car.

Not to fear. There is a device in the interior of the car.... it is called a "door handle." Basically you pull this "door handle" and the door will open.

Yes. I understood that all Tesla front doors can be open from inside without power but looked like this thread and the other famous jeweler Ben Baller couldn't manage to get this instruction from the manual working.

If you call mobile service and hear snickering, they will then remotely unlock it.... you will feel made fun of.... but not to worry.... you can go online and start a thread about how you almost died in a hot car.

@Kacdc did call Tesla and the famous jewler Ben Baller also did call and waited for Tesla for 37 minutes while tweeting live.

That's more reasons that ALL Tesla cars should allow powered windows active whenever accessory power is present just like the way that Model 3 can.

Probably just confusion, in a panicked state. When there's no power, the front doors don't swing open effortlessly when you pull the handle. When my door actuator was broken, pulling the handle disengages the latch, but you have to push against some resistance.

There are 5 exits from the vehicle that function with absolutely no power, all 4 doors and the trunk. They'll all require overcoming the resistance from the system that normally operates them.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Yesterday I dropped something while driving from my lap and it rolled to my feet ... I tried to reach it but the seat belt aggressively began choking me.... I called mobile service but all they could hear was “ggggajhhhaaaahhhh” ... when I woke up the car was 103 degrees inside and I couldn’t open the door... luckily a police officer was nearby and had the jaws of death ready to engage to open the car.... the police officer tried my door but was confused as to why I was naked and listening to INXS.... not only am I going to return my car... but this whole ordeal makes me realize tesla seat belt is dangerous

Yesterday I dropped something while driving from my lap and it rolled to my feet ... I tried to reach it but the seat belt aggressively began choking me.... I called mobile service but all they could hear was “ggggajhhhaaaahhhh” ... when I woke up the car was 103 degrees inside and I couldn’t open the door... luckily a police officer was nearby and had the jaws of death ready to engage to open the car.... the police officer tried my door but was confused as to why I was naked and listening to INXS.... not only am I going to return my car... but this whole ordeal makes me realize tesla seat belt is dangerous
But did you die?

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Probably just confusion, in a panicked state. When there's no power, the front doors don't swing open effortlessly when you pull the handle. When my door actuator was broken, pulling the handle disengages the latch, but you have to push against some resistance.

There are 5 exits from the vehicle that function with absolutely no power, all 4 doors and the trunk. They'll all require overcoming the resistance from the system that normally operates them.

Don’t forget overcoming the resistance of the front windows, which won’t automatically roll down if you don’t have power.

Oh My! I ordered and received one of the LifeHammers just in case. Keep it in my front console.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifehammer-Original-Emergency-Seatbelt-Netherlands/dp/B000BN3A4Y
Well that seat beat cutter might come in handy, but I doubt you would need it to break the front seat side windows. As you know they are not in a frame, so spit on it and it will fall out on the X. Ok, sorry about that sarcastic gross exaggeration, but you get the point. Easy to kick out. Those back windows are a bit tougher. Yes, this is just to add a little humor to an otherwise scary situation.

Reactions: P85_DA