Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of car: Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone

newbie here. I have 2022 M3. One month old.

We have two phone keys. My wife opened the car and placed her phone in the car and closed the door assuming it won’t lock the door because her phone is inside of car. But then I was nearby the car with my phone in my pocket. I didn’t touch the car and then came back to my den. My wife said she can’t open the door even if her phone is inside of the car.

Even if my phone was nearby and moved away from the car, It shouldn’t lock the car as far as her phone is inside of car.

Thanks

If your phone key was the one used to unlock the car, which is possible because you were nearby, the car might not have detected your wife's phone key. If her key was detected, then the car shouldn't have locked automatically. In any case, the phone key is not 100% reliable, so you should always have a key card with you just in case.

If your phone key was the one used to unlock the car, which is possible because you were nearby, the car might not have detected your wife's phone key. If her key was detected, then the car shouldn't have locked automatically. In any case, the phone key is not 100% reliable, so you should always have a key card with you just in case.
Thanks
i didnt unlock it.
in fact i repeated the situation multiple times to confirm the behaviors. It is very easy to repeat if you have two phone keys.

As your phone is likely the primary this is possible. You don’t have to take the phone out of your pocket to lock/unlock it. If your key (phone) was the last one to walk by the car then walk away it will lock.

Thanks
i didnt unlock it.
in fact i repeated the situation multiple times to confirm the behaviors. It is very easy to repeat if you have two phone keys.

You wont know which phone key unlocked the car so you cant definitively say "I didnt unlock it". In any case:

1. Dont depend on the car to not lock with the key inside, there are several instances where it might lock anyway
2. Always (always) carry the keycard with you. There is ZERO reason for anyone to refuse to carry it, other than stubbornness. Everyone has to have a drivers license on their person to legally drive, and the keycard can be put in the same location the drivers license is.

If there is additional concern, remember that you can unlock the car (and start it) from anywhere, with the tesla app, so even if this happened to you or your wife, the other person could open the car, no matter where in the world they are, provided the car is someplace that gets a cellular signal.

Reactions: Transformer